* Installer Progress Reporting
@ 2013-02-22 23:43 daryl
From: daryl @ 2013-02-22 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm installing Cygwin on about my 10th machine and I just noticed
something I've never noticed before.  Besides the graphical progress
bars there is a percentage in the title bar.  In my case, it is now up
to 184%.  I kinda expected it to run u to 100% and then the
installation would be done.  What should I expect the maximum to be,
so I'll be able to plan the rest of my weekend?  FWIW, I selected a
full install, since I'm using it for teaching purposes, and I never
know what questions I'll be asked.

* Re: Installer Progress Reporting
@ 2013-02-23  0:31 ` daryl
From: daryl @ 2013-02-23  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Okay, one update, then I'm getting on with my life.  Somewhere around
300% the sign changed, the gui progress bar cleared (no doubt related
to the -300%), the magnitude peaked around 360 and is now working its
way back down. Fortunately, the packages seem to be getting installed
in alphabetical order, rather than the order in which they are
presented in the package selection tree, so I can monitor progress
alphabetically.

Quoting daryl@daryllee.com:

@ 2013-02-23  1:45   ` Steve Thompson
From: Steve Thompson @ 2013-02-23  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, daryl@daryllee.com wrote:

> Okay, one update, then I'm getting on with my life.  Somewhere around 300%
> the sign changed, the gui progress bar cleared (no doubt related to the
> -300%), the magnitude peaked around 360 and is now working its way back down.

I see exactly the same effect (1.7.17) on both W2003 and W7.

Steve

* Re: Installer Progress Reporting
@ 2013-02-23  6:21 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2013-02-23  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/23/2013 12:43 AM, daryl@daryllee.com wrote:
> I'm installing Cygwin on about my 10th machine and I just noticed
> something I've never noticed before.  Besides the graphical progress
> bars there is a percentage in the title bar.  In my case, it is now up
> to 184%.  I kinda expected it to run u to 100% and then the installation
> would be done.  What should I expect the maximum to be, so I'll be able
> to plan the rest of my weekend?  FWIW, I selected a full install, since
> I'm using it for teaching purposes, and I never know what questions I'll
> be asked.

to install everything takes "a lot of" time.
Specially the postinstall steps of all the  texlive packages
is time hungry.

similar story not so time ago:

A better solution, IMHO, was to install only base as first step,
and add whatever argument you could need for your teaching as
second step.

We know about the >100% glitch in setup and if I am not wrong
has been solved for the next release that will be deployed.
Sometime ago the full cygwin size overcome a 32bit size counter.

Regards
Marco