From: "Fournier, Danny G" <Danny.Fournier@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
To: "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: ERROR: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 14:38:00 -0000	[thread overview]

We recently upgraded Cygwin to 2.9.0(0.318/5/3) from 2.0.4(0.287/5/3) on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Once we connect to the server using SSH, using a user where we have exchanged keys for, we call the following command:
schtasks.exe /Run /TN "SomeJobName"

This will give the following error:
ERROR: A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.

We will also get the same error by simply invoking schtasks.exe without any parameters, which is supposed to list the jobs currently configured on the server.

What we have done:

-Most articles found state to change the following Local Policy to disabled (which was set already):
Network access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication

-We have also added the user into the following Local Policy: Log on as a batch job and Log on as a service
-The user has permission to read and execute schtasks.exe
-We regenerated passwd and group files
-Command prompts in Windows, running as the specific user, can run schtasks.exe without any problem

We are able to successfully call other executables: icacls.exe, robocopy.exe, sc.exe and even powershell.exe.

We also tested against another server with Cygwin 2.7.0(0.306/5/3) and got the same issue.

Dan