* RE: Re. Bash Prompt Here
@ 2000-10-03  9:19 Frank Merenda
From: Frank Merenda @ 2000-10-03  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM, Cygwin (E-mail)

You can download X-Setup from http://www.xteq.com/ (it's free)
and install it.
There's an option under "Appearance | Explorer | Context Menu | Files
Commands" that will let you add programs to the context menu of any file.
Just add the file name and description (i.e. vim.exe %1, if VIM is in your
PATH ) and X-Setup will add the registry key for you. X-Setup also has loads
of other tweaks for Windows, I highly recommend it. And no, I'm not
associated with xteq in any way.... :)

-Peace Out-
Frank Merenda | Senior Software Engineer
VetMedCenter | http://www.VetMedCenter
fmerenda@VetExchange.com

"Don't believe the hype."

-- Public Enemy

* RE: Re. Bash Prompt Here
@ 2000-10-03 12:16 Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM
From: Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM @ 2000-10-03 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin (E-mail)

Ok, thanks to all for their contributions. The following works:

     HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell -- had to create
                         XQXSETCMD1 - is what X-Setup creates
                         ABC - is what I created instead - I gave it a
value of "Edit with VIM"
                              command - I gave it a value of "vim %1"

Now the only problem is that VIM complains with "unable to open swap file".
If I go to the directory
directly in a bash box and enter
     vim xxx
all is well.

It is only the * entry that is needed. The "unknown" only works for files
whose extension is not recognized or files
that do not have an extension (suffix). Are there any quick ideas on why
vim is complaining about the swap file?

Thanks

Ed

Your Windows 2000 Arborist
T/L 589-4410; Outside: 1-919-993-4410
egb@us.ibm.com

Bernard Dautrevaux <Dautrevaux@microprocess.com>@sources.redhat.com on
10/03/2000 02:24:40 PM

Sent by:  cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com

To:   Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "Cygwin (E-mail)"
Subject:  RE: Re. Bash Prompt Here

Hi,

     IIRC, just look at HKEY_ROOT_CLASSES\Unknown\shell. All keys created
here are used by default for any file for which there is no explicit class.
For others I'm afraid you have to add a command for *all* HKRC\*\shell keys
;-(

I really hope someone knows a better solution,

     Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE
FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0) 1 47 68 80 80
Fax: +33 (0) 1 47 88 97 85
e-mail:   dautrevaux@microprocess.com
          b.dautrevaux@usa.net

* RE: Re. Bash Prompt Here
@ 2000-10-03 12:04 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-10-03 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux, 'Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM', Cygwin (E-mail)

--- Bernard Dautrevaux <Dautrevaux@microprocess.com> wrote:

> I really hope someone knows a better solution,

Create a shortcut in the SendTo folder under the Profiles->USER folder.  Then
right click on the file and choose VIM under SendTo.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* RE: Re. Bash Prompt Here
@ 2000-10-03 11:34 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2000-10-03 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-10-03 11:27 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2000-10-03 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM, Cygwin (E-mail)

At 11:22 AM 10/3/2000, Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM wrote:
>One final question problem for the group to address. Some versions of vim
>install stuff
>in the registry so that when you right click ANY file, you get the choice
>of "Edit with vim". I have
>not been able to find a simple registry hack to make that happen without
>having a registered
>dll. Also, it wasn't exactly clear to me how to train the VIM dll to use
>something else. I must have spent
>less than 5 minutes looking at it.
>
>Has anyone figured out how to do this? I have tried just putting stuff in
>the HKCR/file registry key but that
>doesn't seem to do it.
>
>Ed

HKCR/Unknown/shell/Open with VIM/command

Add a value of type REG_SZ which points to VIM and passes the file parameter
like so:

REG_SZ:d:\bin\vim.exe "%1"

This puts this option for all files and works as the default for any file
not otherwise registered.

* Re: Re. Bash Prompt Here
@ 2000-10-03  8:22 Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM
From: Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM @ 2000-10-03  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin (E-mail)

[...]

To:   "Cygwin (E-mail)" <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
cc:
Subject:  Re. Bash Prompt Here

To:   "Cygwin (E-mail)" <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>

The following works for me on Win98.  Since one doesn't logon, there is no
cd to $HOME and bash starts in whatever directory Windows tells bash it is
in.  Of course, this won't work if .bashrc has a cd command in it.

- Barry Buchbinder

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere]
@="&Bash Prompt Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere\command]
@="c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe"

* Re. Bash Prompt Here
@ 2000-10-03  7:46 Barry Buchbinder
From: Barry Buchbinder @ 2000-10-03  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin (E-mail)

To:   "Cygwin (E-mail)" <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>

The following works for me on Win98.  Since one doesn't logon, there is no
cd to $HOME and bash starts in whatever directory Windows tells bash it is
in.  Of course, this won't work if .bashrc has a cd command in it.

- Barry Buchbinder

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere]
@="&Bash Prompt Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere\command]
@="c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe"

[-- Attachment #2: BashHere.reg --]
[-- Type: text/x-ms-regedit, Size: 307 bytes --]

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere]
@="&Bash Prompt Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\BashHere\command]
@="c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\BashHere]
@="&Bash Prompt Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\BashHere\command]
@="c:\\cygwin\\bin\\bash.exe"

* Re: Re. Bash Prompt Here
@ 2000-10-03  7:15 Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM
From: Ed Bradford/Raleigh/IBM @ 2000-10-03  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin (E-mail)

You should also include "Drive" where "Directory" is below. That way, when
you right
click on a drive, you can get a "Bash here" also.

I used
     f:\cyg\bin\bash.exe -i
and I had to train my .bashrc to do most of the stuff in /etc/profile to
avoid the cd $HOME issue. After that, all works as expected.

Ed

Your Windows 2000 Arborist
T/L 589-4410; Outside: 1-919-993-4410
egb@us.ibm.com