* Re: gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125) Internal compiler error
@ 2008-04-20  2:53 Tatsuro Matsuoka
From: Tatsuro Matsuoka @ 2008-04-20  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: matsuoka

Hello

I'm a mere one of the user and also waiting dw2-ed gcc 4.x for cygwin.
I have build gcc-4.3.0 and test for build gnuplot and octave.

For gnuplot it worked fine and performance of a built binary is
pretty good.
However, for octave the gcc-4.3.0 cannot be use for built.

> Also, part of the delay in the switch is the desire to switch from SJLJ
> to Dwarf-2 exception handling as default, which has a whole slew of
> compatibility questions.  PLEASE search the archives though, as this has
> been discussed extensively.

Hello Brian
Perhaps you know that I'm using dw2-ed gcc-3.4.4 for octave building.
At March in this year, I have re-built almost all external libraries
by "standard" gcc of cygwin
distribution.  The cln and gniac have beem still built by my dw2-ed
gcc because they uses EH.

What I would like to say dw2-ed gcc build with libraries by standard
gcc is no problem for
almost case. However problem remains for software that deals with EH.
These are of course natural reults as expected.
However, natural results are not always obtained in highly
sophisticated system like cygwin.
If my report is helpful to cygwin staff, it would be grateful.

BTW:
As far as I know, supproting win32drwaback api in dw2 is one of the
problem for gcc to be dw2-ed.
In my case, windows package in octave-forge cannot be built perhaps I
am using dw2-ed gcc.
I hope this problem is solved in the near future and the fast and
stable octave can be built
with the gcc by distributed by cygwin staff.

Regards

Tatsuro

@ 2008-04-19 17:02       ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-04-19 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cory Cohen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2008-04-19 17:00     ` Cory Cohen
From: Cory Cohen @ 2008-04-19 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:
>   Sorry, I've been ill.
>
>   I saw your report.  It was exemplary, self-contained and complete.  In
> particular thanks for sending the .ii file.
>
>   Funnily enough, I can't reproduce it that way.  I can reproduce it on one
> out of two machines, and only when compiling the original file.  Adding
> --save-temps stops it from crashing also.  It appears to be caused by the
> --output-pch option passed to cc1plus internally by the g++ driver.
>
>   You might be able to use the --save-temps option as a workaround.  I'll
> investigate the bug and see why it happens.  It might not be too much hassle
> to issue a bugfix relese of the cygwin compiler package.
>
>   Thanks for your report - and your patience!

Thanks for the response.  I'm glad to see that it's not just my system.
I'll try the --save-temps work around.  If there's anything at all that
I can do to help, please let me know.  I've become pretty dependent on
cygwin, and would hate to have to go back to a real Linux box to get a
working compiler. :-(

How's the 4.x port coming?  Is there somewhere that I can download the
gcc patches for cygwin and see how complicated it is?  I assume that
there's no hope of the 4.x branch compiling on cygwin without major surgery?

Cory

* RE: gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12,  using dmd 0.125) Internal compiler error
@ 2008-04-19 16:26   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-04-19 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Cory Cohen', cygwin; +Cc: gcc-bugs

Cory Cohen wrote on 19 April 2008 16:31:

> Hello again,
>
> Several days ago I sent a bug report about an internal
> compiler error to
> the cygwin and gcc-bugs lists.  I've not heard back anything
> from either
> of the lists, and was wondering if there was something more that I
> needed to provide.

  Sorry, I've been ill.

  I saw your report.  It was exemplary, self-contained and complete.  In
particular thanks for sending the .ii file.

  Funnily enough, I can't reproduce it that way.  I can reproduce it on one
out of two machines, and only when compiling the original file.  Adding
--save-temps stops it from crashing also.  It appears to be caused by the
--output-pch option passed to cc1plus internally by the g++ driver.

  You might be able to use the --save-temps option as a workaround.  I'll
investigate the bug and see why it happens.  It might not be too much hassle
to issue a bugfix relese of the cygwin compiler package.

  Thanks for your report - and your patience!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12,  using dmd 0.125) Internal compiler error
@ 2008-04-19 16:11     ` Cory Cohen
From: Cory Cohen @ 2008-04-19 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Brian Dessent

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Reporting it to the Cygwin list is the correct place.  Don't bother
> emailing gcc-bugs or any other gcc list, because a) gcc-bugs is mainly
> just for bugzilla-generated traffic and isn't monitored for bugs not
> reported through bugzilla, b) gcc 3.4 has not been closed and
> unmaintained in years; you'd be directed to try 4.3 or 4.2, and c) our
> gcc 3.4 is heavily patched anyway, part of the reason why we don't offer
> 4.x yet.

Thanks!  I was just getting ready to send another message apologizing
and observing that 3.4.4 != 4.3.3. I had no idea that the cygwin gcc
port was so old. I just figured that out now while digging for more
information.  Is there anything else I can do to help then, or should I
just wait for the 4.x port?

Cory

* Re: gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12,  using dmd 0.125)   Internal compiler error
@ 2008-04-19 16:00   ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-04-19 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cory Cohen; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2008-04-19 15:47 ` Cory Cohen