* Rxvt font cycling without numpad
@ 2013-07-24  5:05 Josh Litherland
From: Josh Litherland @ 2013-07-24  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

How can I cycle through my fonts in rxvt (non-X11 version) if I don't
have a numeric keypad?  The manpage mentions bigfont_key and
smallfont_key "if enabled", but I haven't been successful getting them
to do anything.  Perhaps I need to recompile rxvt and enable that
option?

Thanks for any suggestions!

--
Josh Litherland (josh@temp123.org)

* Re: Rxvt font cycling without numpad
@ 2013-07-24  5:14 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-07-24  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Litherland, cygwin

Greetings, Josh Litherland!

> How can I cycle through my fonts in rxvt (non-X11 version) if I don't
> have a numeric keypad?  The manpage mentions bigfont_key and
> smallfont_key "if enabled", but I haven't been successful getting them
> to do anything.  Perhaps I need to recompile rxvt and enable that
> option?

As far as I recall, rxvt is not maintained anymore.
You're advised to switch to mintty or xterm, whichever is closer for your
needs.
mintty, which is largely based off the PuTTY codebase, is the current default
terminal for new Cygwin installations.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Rxvt font cycling without numpad
@ 2013-07-24 13:04 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2013-07-24 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/23/2013 8:46 PM, Josh Litherland wrote:
> How can I cycle through my fonts in rxvt (non-X11 version) if I don't
> have a numeric keypad?  The manpage mentions bigfont_key and
> smallfont_key "if enabled", but I haven't been successful getting them
> to do anything.  Perhaps I need to recompile rxvt and enable that
> option?

The current rxvt is compiled with

                 --disable-shared \
                 --enable-xpm-background \
                 --with-xpm-includes=${B}/W11/X11 \
                 --with-xpm-library=${B}/W11/lib \
                 --x-libraries=${B}/W11/lib \
                 --x-includes=${B}/W11 \
                 --enable-utmp \
                 --enable-wtmp \
                 --enable-lastlog \
                 --enable-menubar \
                 --enable-rxvt-scroll \
                 --enable-next-scroll \
                 --enable-xterm-scroll \
                 --enable-frills \
                 --enable-linespace \
                 --enable-mousewheel \
                 --enable-keepscrolling \
                 --enable-old-selection \
                 --enable-selectionscrolling \
                 --enable-transparency \
                 --enable-256-color \
                 --enable-24bit \
                 --enable-languages \
                 --with-encoding=noenc

Now, bigfont_key and smallfont_key are available only #if
defined(HOTKEY_CTRL) || defined(HOTKEY_META) -- and in rxvt, not
everything is controlled via configure options. Some things you have to
manipulate by editing feature.h before compiling. This is one of those:

/*
  * Choose one of these values to be the `hotkey' for changing font.
  * This has been superceded and is only for you older users
  */
/* #define HOTKEY_CTRL */
/* #define HOTKEY_META */

If you uncomment one of those two defines and recompile, then you should
be able to add something to your ~/.Xdefaults like:

Rxvt*bigfont_key: Right
Rxvt*smallfont_key: Left

so that ALT-leftarrow and ALT-rightarrow do what you want. (The default,
without those .Xdefaults entries, is ALT-> and ALT-< -- but it only
works if you recompile with HOTKEY_META undefined.

If you define HOTKEY_CTRL, then all hotkeys for font changing would be
CTRL-whatever instead of ALT-whatever.

--
Chuck