From: Thomas Wolff <towo@towo.net>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: bug in 'cs' value of Xterm termcap (was: Updated: screen 4.1.0-20130513-1)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 20:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Am 27.11.2013 23:14, schrieb matthew patton:
> For whatever reason I set my newly installed environment to use 'xterm' mode and ran across this bug.
>
> The archives led me to
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-07/msg00029.html
> and specifically
>
> # Set the hardstatus prop on gui terms to set the titlebar/icon title
>> termcapinfo xterm*|rxvt*|kterm*|Eterm*|cygwin hs:ts=\E]0;:fs=\007:ds=\E]0;\007
> and wanted to mention that with both the -1 and -2 releases, even with the 'termcapinfo' override in the above post the hardstatus and caption lines end up 1 line off the bottom IFF $TERM=xterm be it in an honest to goodness X11 xterm or the windows terminal. This causes everything to fail to properly scroll. Once a single screen worth of output is sent, everything just gets put on the last line. This obviously is not a good thing.
>
> However if $TERM is any of 'cygwin', 'xterm-vt220', 'xterm-256color', 'vt100', or 'vt220' it works just fine since the offending 'cs' stanza is never set like below.
>
> termcap  xterm|fptwist hs@:cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l
> terminfo xterm|fptwist hs@:cs=\E[%i%p1%d;%p2%dr:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l
>
> In my ~/.screenrc it was sufficient to use
>
> termcapinfo xterm* cs
>
> to restore correct behavior. Unfortunately I haven't a clue what the various escape sequences mean.

The ts/fs/ds entries are a trick to mimick the window title as a pseudo
"hard status" line. cs is the "scrolling region".
Not understanding your report completely (what is the -1 and -2
releases?), it could be that some application (maybe screen itself?)
uses cs in the wrong way which produces exactly the described effect. I
noticed myself recently that this can happen if cs is assumed to be just
\E[%i%d;%dr without the %p1,%p2 items, which is kind of weird. Anyway,
does it happen in a fresh terminal, then screen, then ls, or did you run
any other applications before the bug occurs?
------
Thomas