* interactive-services-detection not started on 32-bit cywin executables
@ 2014-01-16 17:10 BGINFO4X
From: BGINFO4X @ 2014-01-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello everybody,

I have a "Windows service implementation of cygwin" via NSSM
(http://nssm.cc/). I use cygwin 1.7.27 32 bits.

If I configure the service as "allow service to interact with
desktop", the UIODETEC.exe is not started, so I can't see the console.

Do you know why uiodetect is not started with 32-bit cygwin
executables? Any workaround? I tested it on W2008 R2 (64 bits) and W7
32 bits.

Note: If I use msys binaries, the console is shown.

You can find more information about uiodetect here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2010/04/27/what-is-interactive-services-detection-and-why-is-it-blinking-at-me.aspx

Thanks a lot for your time.

* Re: interactive-services-detection not started on 32-bit cywin executables
@ 2014-01-16 18:56 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-16 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/16/2014 12:10 PM, BGINFO4X wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a "Windows service implementation of cygwin" via NSSM
> (http://nssm.cc/). I use cygwin 1.7.27 32 bits.
>
> If I configure the service as "allow service to interact with
> desktop", the UIODETEC.exe is not started, so I can't see the console.
>
> Do you know why uiodetect is not started with 32-bit cygwin
> executables? Any workaround? I tested it on W2008 R2 (64 bits) and W7
> 32 bits

The only workaround I can think of is to start the uiodetect service.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-01-16 19:15 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-16 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/16/2014 12:10 PM, BGINFO4X wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a "Windows service implementation of cygwin" via NSSM
> (http://nssm.cc/). I use cygwin 1.7.27 32 bits.
>
> If I configure the service as "allow service to interact with
> desktop", the UIODETEC.exe is not started, so I can't see the console.
>
> Do you know why uiodetect is not started with 32-bit cygwin
> executables?

And now trying it with a simple test (the one suggested at your link below)
it worked for me if the window in which the shell runs is running as
administrator.  Did you try that?

<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2010/04/27/what-is-interactive-services-detection-and-why-is-it-blinking-at-me.aspx>

--
Larry

A: Yes.

       [not found]     ` <CAO2ddnZQ4otrozE-BqKzLn66wyL6oE8uVHLUA7zjF3T52kwg7g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-01-21 17:21       ` BGINFO4X
From: BGINFO4X @ 2014-01-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I attach here my tests to clarify:
>>>
>>> #Test1 - Only bash
>>> C:\cywin\bin\bash.exe
>>>
>>> Result: bash exits. Interactive window not opened.
>>

>> <snip>

>> Yes, you know this now but this was the question you were asking in the
>> last round.  Fortunately, you do not need my answer now. :-)

>> You're invoking bash non-interactively.  Since you want an interactive
>> shell, you should be using the '-i' flag.

Hello, -i flag is used on W7 as in W2008 R2.
Thanks a lot for your time.

@ 2014-01-19 22:49   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
       [not found]     ` <CAO2ddnZQ4otrozE-BqKzLn66wyL6oE8uVHLUA7zjF3T52kwg7g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-19 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/17/2014 7:08 AM, BGINFO4X wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I attach here my tests to clarify:
>
> #Test1 - Only bash
> C:\cywin\bin\bash.exe
>
> Result: bash exits. Interactive window not opened.

<snip>

>> For example, when launching only bash.exe as a service, bash EXITS immediately.
>>
>> But, If I launch bash.exe  and then another win32bit executable (ex:
>> msys sh.exe), then OIUDetect is "captured" and bash.exe doesn't exit.
>>
>> So "it seems that 32 bits cygwin are not correctly managed on 64 bits systems"
>>
>>> The only workaround I can think of is to start the uiodetect service.
>>
>> No, this is not the question: uiodetect is always started.

Yes, you know this now but this was the question you were asking in the
last round.  Fortunately, you do not need my answer now. :-)

>> Could you help me?

You're invoking bash non-interactively.  Since you want an interactive
shell, you should be using the '-i' flag.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-01-17 12:08 ` BGINFO4X
From: BGINFO4X @ 2014-01-17 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I attach here my tests to clarify:

#Test1 - Only bash
C:\cywin\bin\bash.exe

Result: bash exits. Interactive window not opened.

#Test2 - Two programs
C:\cywin\bin\bash.exe
"%WD%..\BGBINARIES\Window\Window.exe"

Result: Interactive window opened: you can find only Window.exe opened.

#Test3 - Bash started via "start"
start "test" C:\cywin\bin\bash.exe
"%WD%..\BGBINARIES\Window\Window.exe"

Result: Interactive window opened: you can find both programs opened.

Conclusions:
1- What opens the interactive window is a program that doesn't exit.
2- bash.exe never opens the interactive window because it exits,or it
doesn't exit if it is launched with the start command(test3).
3- bash.exe launched with start command is started (test3), but the
interactive window is opened due to Window.exe (that doesn't exit).

Thanks a lot for your time.