* Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 17:30 Damian Harty
From: Damian Harty @ 2014-01-24 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > I have no control over it. Please feel free to simply ignore it.

> Actually, you're lucky your email wasn't bounced back to you because of this.  It's site policy to not allow such disclaimers.  > See the FAQ entry on this policy here:

>    <https://sourceware.org/lists.html#disclaimer-bounce>

I have seen it now that it has been pointed out. I have changed email addresses in order to comply with The Rules, having first being addressed by a rude adolescent and then told how lucky I am not to have my emails bounced. I humbly acknowledge Your Authority.

What a splendid example of a warm community this is and how much I yearn to participate. If only there were some factual knowledge of the matter at hand, too, it would be ideal in many respects.

"And the pigs began to look like men." (George Orwell)

The bottom line is that cygwin used to work for me and now it doesn't. I've expended a reasonable amount of effort attempting to describe/get round the problem but now I've lost interest. A large part of that is because I asked politely and was treated very rudely. I subscribe to a number of fora and such behaviour is by no means inevitable, however it does appear to be the default here.

How disappointing, but not in the least bit life-changing, of course. Utterly unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

"Whatever." (Alicia Silverstone).

* Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 19:14 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-01-24 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 05:27:32PM +0000, Damian Harty wrote:
>> > I have no control over it. Please feel free to simply ignore it.
>
>>Actually, you're lucky your email wasn't bounced back to you because of
>>this.  It's site policy to not allow such disclaimers.
>>See the FAQ entry on this policy here:
>
>> ? ?<https://sourceware.org/lists.html#disclaimer-bounce>
>
>I have seen it now that it has been pointed out.  I have changed email
>addresses in order to comply with The Rules, having first being
>addressed by a rude adolescent and then told how lucky I am not to have
>my emails bounced.  I humbly acknowledge Your Authority.
>
>What a splendid example of a warm community this is and how much I
>yearn to participate.  If only there were some factual knowledge of the
>matter at hand, too, it would be ideal in many respects.
>
>"And the pigs began to look like men." (George Orwell)

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
(George Orwell)

>The bottom line is that cygwin used to work for me and now it doesn't.
>I've expended a reasonable amount of effort attempting to describe/get
>round the problem but now I've lost interest.  A large part of that is
>because I asked politely and was treated very rudely.  I subscribe to a
>number of fora and such behaviour is by no means inevitable, however it
>does appear to be the default here.?

"You owe me an apology."  (Cole Oyl, Popeye)

>How disappointing, but not in the least bit life-changing, of course.
>Utterly unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
>
>"Whatever." (Alicia Silverstone).

"I was just totally clueless." (Alicia Silverstone)

FYI, you are coming across as ungrateful for the help provided by six
people (one of which was a Cygwin lead) in this thread.

Pragmatically speaking, focusing (in two messages) on one non-English
speaker's use of the word "crap", disregarding the help that he and
others provided, and then going into full bombast mode, is not an
effective way to achieve support.  Perhaps that's fine with you because
you don't plan on sullying our mailing list again but I just thought I
should make that clear.  References:

http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Also, some more warmth: It is likely that if you choose to reply in the
tone of the above that you will be redirected to the cygwin-talk mailing
list.  Ranting is allowed there.  Not so much here.

cgf
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com

* Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 19:32 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-24 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/24/2014 12:27 PM, Damian Harty wrote:

>>> I have no control over it. Please feel free to simply ignore it.
>
>> Actually, you're lucky your email wasn't bounced back to you because
>> of  this.  It's site policy to not allow such disclaimers.  See the FAQ
>> entry on this policy here:
>>
>>     <https://sourceware.org/lists.html#disclaimer-bounce>
>
> I have seen it now that it has been pointed out. I have changed email
> addresses in order to comply with The Rules, having first being addressed by
> a rude adolescent and then told how lucky I am not to have my emails
> bounced. I humbly acknowledge Your Authority.

It's not my "Authority".  It's the authority of those running the site
you're addressing.  I think you've misjudged the point of my posting though.
My goal was to keep you from facing difficulty with any future posts and
the rest of us from these content-free disclaimers if/when they slipped
through.  If that caused your feelings to be hurt then you've misinterpreted
what I wrote.  There was no negative energy coming from my end.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-01-26  6:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-01-26  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Redeker, cygwin

Greetings, Frank Redeker!

>> (SNIP)
>>
>> $ ls -ld /?/*
>> ls: cannot access /?/*: No such file or directory
>>
>> $ ls -ld /a/*
>> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Jun 26  2012 /a/Android
>> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Nov  5 10:58 /a/Info&Txt
>> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Jun 12  2012 /a/Mac
>> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Sep  2  2009 /a/Story
>>
>> $ ls -ld /z/*
>> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------          0 Nov  7 00:16 /z/bin
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 AnrDaemon ---------       2390 May 30  2012 /z/ca.cer
>> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------          0 Feb 28  2011 /z/crontabs
>>
>> A: and Z: are network drives, indeed.
>> The "C" in your /cygdrive/ (and the /cygdrive itself) are just folders you
>> created for some random reason.
>> They shouldn't be there.
>>
> I'm somewhat confused about your statement above. Is /cygdrive/ no
> longer used as default mount point?

It does. However,

> [C:\Games\Ja2-NO]$ cat /etc/fstab
> # For a description of the file format, see the Users Guide
> # http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
>
> # This is default anyway:
> # none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
>> none    /         cygdrive  binary,posix=0,noacl    0       0
> C:/home /home     bind      binary,posix=0,noacl    0       0
> W:/     /var/run  bind      binary,posix=0,noacl    0       0
>
> [C:\Games\Ja2-NO]$

> In my OOTB installation (CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 MAR 1.7.25(0.270/5/3)

> $ ls -l /cygdrive/
> total 92
> drwxrwxrwx+ 1 ????????         None             0 Dec 19 13:46 b
> d---------+ 1 TrustedInstaller TrustedInstaller 0 Jan 16 11:11 c
> drwx------+ 1 SYSTEM           SYSTEM           0 Jan 15 10:15 d

No comments. Could be a difference between host OS.

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 daemon2 1.7.26(0.271/5/3) 2013-11-29 11:25 i686 Cygwin

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-26  6:20         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-01-26  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Harty, cygwin

Greetings, Damian Harty!

>> Can you please do the following commands in order (native windows console
>> preferred, but not necessary):
>> net use

>     % net use
>     New connections will be remembered.

>     Status       Local     Remote                    Network

>     -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     Unavailable  H:        \\brt1itssrv003\homes\daharty
>                                                    Microsoft Windows Network
>     Unavailable  Z:        \\wym1itsnas001\cae3\adams_db
>                                                     Microsoft Windows Network
>     The command completed successfully.

That's <somewhat> normal in certain network setups, but only until you first
access the network drive in Explorer.

>> subst

>     % subst

>     %

>> cd /cygdrive/h

>     % cd /cygdrive/h
>     /cygdrive/h: No such file or directory.

>> explorer H:\\

>     (opens the drive correctly)

The "thing" should now work as normal, but...

>> Close the window in either case. net use; subst; cd /cygdrive/h (does it work now?)

>    2nd lap exactly reproduces the results of the first lap.

That sad to know...
I'm, unfortunately, out of ideas.
Perhaps,
cygcheck -srv
would shed some light.

--

@ 2014-01-24 19:32             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-01-24 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jan 24 15:58, Damian Harty wrote:
> > Are you starting mintty as admin?  That might explain it.
>
> I'm not observing a difference between running mintty as normal and right-clicking and doing "run as administrator". If that wasn't what you were asking, then I apologise.
>
> It seems if I start a cmd shell "standalone" and run c:\cygwin\bin\tcsh.exe -l then it works. If I put "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K C:\cygwin\bin\tcsh.exe -l" into the properties box and start it, then it fails.
>
> At this point, I am fully baffled but at least I have a workaround - start the shell from the windows command prompt.

But that should really not be necessary.  There's no reason that
starting from a Windows console shows the drives as OK but starting
mintty shows them as Unavailable.  The drives are user token bound, and
the user token in the mintty window is the same as the token in the a
console window.

Just for testing, did you try to access the drives from mintty?

I mean, assuming you start mintty, what happens if you do this (and only
this) after starting it:

  $ net use
  $ id
  $ ls /cygdrive/h
  $ net use

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 17:53             ` Alexander Kriegisch
From: Alexander Kriegisch @ 2014-01-24 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Harty; +Cc: cygwin

Dear community,

I have read this conversation and am honestly shocked about the way Damian (whom I do not know, BTW) was "greeted" in response to his initial question. I have noticed several times that too often here talk is about compliance to a string of rules and acronyms anyone daring to post here must have read in order not to annoy the rulers of this list. While I respect the time and dedication of every expert here and know how much it sucks having to read badly phrased subjects, badly asked questions and so forth, I think there is no need to be condescending. I see a lot of lecturing here. Some questions are ignored altogether for reasons their authors do not even know.

I like Cygwin, I want to thank every helpful and dedicated person here for their expertise and patience, but anyway, I have had enough and am going to unsubscribe from this list.

Regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch

* RE: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 16:42   ` Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]
From: Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] @ 2014-01-24 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

BTW, there is a type there, IMO:

>  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#cygdrive

<quote>
  none /cygdrive cygdrive binary 0 0
  D:   /cygdrive/d somefs text 0 0
will not make file access using the /mnt/d path prefix suddenly using textmode
</quote>

The sentence after the fstab excerpt should have referred to "/cygdrive/d", not
to "/mnt/d" (alternatively, the excerpt should have used "/mnt" instead
of "/cygdrive" throughout).

HTH,

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI

* Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 16:29     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-01-24 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 1/24/2014 6:31 AM, Damian Harty wrote:
>> >Please remove this crap from list mails, thank you.
> I have no control over it. Please feel free to simply ignore it.

Actually, you're lucky your email wasn't bounced back to you because of
this.  It's site policy to not allow such disclaimers.  See the FAQ entry
on this policy here:

   <https://sourceware.org/lists.html#disclaimer-bounce>

The fact that your email wasn't bounced for not complying with this
policy isn't a tacit acceptance of your email as a special case.
If you have no ability to remove the disclaimer, you'll need to use
another email service to communicate with lists on sourceware.org.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-01-24 16:28     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-01-24 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 11:31:16AM +0000, Damian Harty wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 03:10:41PM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>Please remove this crap from list mails, thank you.
>
>I have no control over it.  Please feel free to simply ignore it.

Sorry but this disclaimer is against site policy.  I've added it to the
disclaimer block for sourceware.org so you won't be able to use it in
any future messages.

cgf

* RE: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 15:58           ` Damian Harty
From: Damian Harty @ 2014-01-24 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Are you starting mintty as admin?  That might explain it.

I'm not observing a difference between running mintty as normal and right-clicking and doing "run as administrator". If that wasn't what you were asking, then I apologise.

It seems if I start a cmd shell "standalone" and run c:\cygwin\bin\tcsh.exe -l then it works. If I put "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /K C:\cygwin\bin\tcsh.exe -l" into the properties box and start it, then it fails.

At this point, I am fully baffled but at least I have a workaround - start the shell from the windows command prompt.

Damian
CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this email communication is confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email and destroy all copies of this communication, including all attachments.

* Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 15:49         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-01-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2014-01-24 15:10       ` Damian Harty
From: Damian Harty @ 2014-01-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2014-01-24 14:52     ` tednolan
From: tednolan @ 2014-01-24 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In message <a85cced36f59429ab961dec7c79b41a6@BL2PR02MB449.namprd02.prod.outlook
.com>you write:

@ 2014-01-24 14:51     ` Damian Harty
From: Damian Harty @ 2014-01-24 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

If I run net use from a simple DOS prompt (Windows\system32\cmd.exe) I get:

    H:\>net use
    New connections will be remembered.

    Status       Local     Remote                    Network

    OK           H:        \\brt1itssrv003\homes\daharty
                                                Microsoft Windows Network
    OK           Z:        \\wym1itsnas001\cae3\adams_db
                                                Microsoft Windows Network
    The command completed successfully.

Note the drive it starts from, by the way - the one that may or may not be "really mounted". The same thing a moment later from a brand new Cygwin shell produces:

    % net use
    New connections will be remembered.

    Status       Local     Remote                    Network

    Unavailable  H:        \\brt1itssrv003\homes\daharty
                                                    Microsoft Windows Network
    Unavailable  Z:        \\wym1itsnas001\cae3\adams_db
                                                    Microsoft Windows Network
    The command completed successfully.

Diagnostic instructions welcome...

@ 2014-01-24 14:00   ` Damian Harty
From: Damian Harty @ 2014-01-24 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Remove the above mount points, exit your Cygwin shells, and try again.  If the H and Z drives still don't show up under your /cygdrive prefix, they are probably not really mounted in your Windows session.

OK, so back to where I started. A virginal /etc/fstab once more.

Windows Explorer readily shows drives H: and Z:. That looks like they "are really mounted" to me, but I wouldn't know what constitutes a rigorous test or even what the definition of "really mounted" actually is.

I read quite a lot of the documentation, but I am out of practice reading unix documentation these days.

When I plug in a USB drive, Windows immediately mounts it as E: and Cygwin can see it no problem.

@ 2014-01-24 13:45 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-01-24 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jan 24 09:53, Damian Harty wrote:
> O learned Denizens,
>
> I'm best described as a feverish fumbler rather than some sort of expert. However, I have been around the block a few times but now I find myself feeling like a newbie again.
>
> I've just realised that in my new place of employment, my Windows 7 64 Bit laptop isn't seeing the network drives under cygwin the way it used to "by magic" in my old place of employment.
>
> I can mount them using, amazingly, the mount command - or make this "permanent" in the /etc/fstab file:
>
>     H:   /cygdrive/h ntfs binary 0 0
>     Z:   /cygdrive/z ntfs binary 0 0

Don't do that.  The /cygdrive prefix is the default POSIX path prefix
for drives mounted by Windows.  Any drive X: is automatically available
as /cygdrive/x.  You can change the cygdrive prefix in /etc/fstab (I'm
using /mnt, for instance), but you can't manually mount stuff under the
cygdrive prefix path.  Ths *is* documented:

@ 2014-01-24 13:31       ` Damian Harty
From: Damian Harty @ 2014-01-24 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

> Can you please do the following commands in order (native windows console preferred, but not necessary):
> net use

    % net use
    New connections will be remembered.

    Status       Local     Remote                    Network

    Unavailable  H:        \\brt1itssrv003\homes\daharty
                                                   Microsoft Windows Network
    Unavailable  Z:        \\wym1itsnas001\cae3\adams_db
                                                    Microsoft Windows Network
    The command completed successfully.

> subst

    % subst

    %

> cd /cygdrive/h

    % cd /cygdrive/h
    /cygdrive/h: No such file or directory.

> explorer H:\\

    (opens the drive correctly)

@ 2014-01-24 12:53   ` Frank Redeker
From: Frank Redeker @ 2014-01-24 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Andrey Repin,

On 24.01.2014 12:10, Andrey Repin wrote:

> (SNIP)
>
> $ ls -ld /?/*
> ls: cannot access /?/*: No such file or directory
>
> $ ls -ld /a/*
> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Jun 26  2012 /a/Android
> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Nov  5 10:58 /a/Info&Txt
> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Jun 12  2012 /a/Mac
> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Sep  2  2009 /a/Story
>
> $ ls -ld /z/*
> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------          0 Nov  7 00:16 /z/bin
> -rw-r--r-- 1 AnrDaemon ---------       2390 May 30  2012 /z/ca.cer
> drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------          0 Feb 28  2011 /z/crontabs
>
> A: and Z: are network drives, indeed.
> The "C" in your /cygdrive/ (and the /cygdrive itself) are just folders you
> created for some random reason.
> They shouldn't be there.

I'm somewhat confused about your statement above. Is /cygdrive/ no
longer used as default mount point?

In my OOTB installation (CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 MAR 1.7.25(0.270/5/3)

$ ls -l /cygdrive/
total 92
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 ????????         None             0 Dec 19 13:46 b
d---------+ 1 TrustedInstaller TrustedInstaller 0 Jan 16 11:11 c
drwx------+ 1 SYSTEM           SYSTEM           0 Jan 15 10:15 d
d---------+ 1 TrustedInstaller TrustedInstaller 0 Jan 15 10:15 e
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 SYSTEM           SYSTEM           0 Jan 15 10:15 f
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 ????????         ????????         0 Sep 17 12:37 g
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 Administrators   ????????         0 Sep 30 10:59 h
drwxrwxrwx  1 ????????         ????????         0 Jan 20 14:42 o
drwxrwxrwx  1 ????????         ????????         0 Dec 17 13:04 p
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 ????????         ????????         0 Jan 21 17:10 t
drwxr-xr-x  1 ????????         ????????         0 Jan  8 11:19 u
drwxr-xr-x  1 ????????         ????????         0 Nov 24  2011 w
drwxrwxrwx  1 ????????         ????????         0 Jan 20 14:14 z

$ mount
D:/Program_Files_32/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
D:/Program_Files_32/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
D:/Program_Files_32/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
B: on /cygdrive/b type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
E: on /cygdrive/e type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
F: on /cygdrive/f type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
G: on /cygdrive/g type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
H: on /cygdrive/h type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
O: on /cygdrive/o type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
P: on /cygdrive/p type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
T: on /cygdrive/t type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
U: on /cygdrive/u type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
W: on /cygdrive/w type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
Z: on /cygdrive/z type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

$ cat /etc/fstab
# For a description of the file format, see the Users Guide
# http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

# This is default anyway:
# none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Frank Redeker

* Re: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 12:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-01-24 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Harty, cygwin

Greetings, Damian Harty!

>> > Q2: Why doesn't it automatically mount the network drives?

>> It does.

> Thank you for your constructive reply. We can go around the "It
> does/doesn't" loop for some time, if you like.

> While it may do on your machine, it is of course entirely possible that, sat
> at my machine, I am unable to access network drives through the file system
> as I have done previously.

> Forgive me for attempting to drill into it by, for example, attempting to
> "cd /cygdrive/h" and receiving an error message.

That's a different question, of course.
Can you please do the following commands in order (native windows console
preferred, but not necessary):

net use; subst; cd /cygdrive/h
(The CD should return an error, relog if it doesn't)
explorer H:\\ (would that open the drive corectly? Close the window in either case.)
net use; subst; cd /cygdrive/h (does it work now?)

Also, a crucial moment - do you use a terminal session, or your machine is
physically present at the place, and you are logging to it's desktop as
normal?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* RE: Windows 7 64 Bit - Mounting Network Drives
@ 2014-01-24 11:31   ` Damian Harty
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Damian Harty @ 2014-01-24 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

> > Q2: Why doesn't it automatically mount the network drives?

> It does.

Thank you for your constructive reply. We can go around the "It does/doesn't" loop for some time, if you like.

While it may do on your machine, it is of course entirely possible that, sat at my machine, I am unable to access network drives through the file system as I have done previously.

Forgive me for attempting to drill into it by, for example, attempting to "cd /cygdrive/h" and receiving an error message.

I urge you not to reply messages that you feel are beneath you; it saves everybody's time, not least yours.

> Please remove this crap from list mails, thank you.

I have no control over it. Please feel free to simply ignore it.

> Sorry for my terrible english...

It's not the English that's the problem, it's the basic rudeness. Perhaps this is not as helpful place as I thought.

@ 2014-01-24 11:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-01-24 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian Harty, cygwin

Greetings, Damian Harty!

> I've just realised that in my new place of employment, my Windows 7 64 Bit
> laptop isn't seeing the network drives under cygwin the way it used to "by
> magic" in my old place of employment.

> I can mount them using, amazingly, the mount command - or make this
> "permanent" in the /etc/fstab file:

>     H:   /cygdrive/h ntfs binary 0 0
>     Z:   /cygdrive/z ntfs binary 0 0

> I can test that it works:

>     % mount
>     C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
>     H: on /cygdrive/h type unknown (binary)
>     Z: on /cygdrive/z type unknown (binary)
>     C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

> ...which is lovely, except that it doesn't work as advertised:

>     % cd /cygdrive
>     % ls

>     %

> Q1: Is there something else I need to do after mounting it?

No.

> Q2: Why doesn't it automatically mount the network drives?

It does.

$ ls -ld /?/*
ls: cannot access /?/*: No such file or directory

$ ls -ld /a/*
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Jun 26  2012 /a/Android
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Nov  5 10:58 /a/Info&Txt
drwxr-xr-x 1 AnrDaemon ---------      0 Jun 12  2012 /a/Mac