* Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16  2:35 Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2014-02-16  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a Windows MSI installer that first loads Cygwin and then has a deferred copy of some files into /usr/local/bin
and /usr/local/etc.

The copies into /usr/local/bin succeed fine.

The copies into /usr/local/etc always get Access denied.

I've tried swapping them and same behavior.  The files that would copy into /usr/local/bin now would not copy into
/usr/local/etc.

I'm seeing this behavior on Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 w/UAC.

The installer prompts the user for elevated privileges to deal with UAC.

Is there some underlying difference in the way that /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/etc are configured in Cygwin?

* Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16  4:51 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-16  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno, cygwin

Greetings, Gerry Reno!

> I have a Windows MSI installer that first loads Cygwin and then has a
> deferred copy of some files into /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/etc.

Cygwin distribution does not come in a form of MSI installer.
Please use supported installation methods (links available at the end of the
message), or address your questions somewhere else. I.e. to the authors of
your "MSI installer".

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16  5:40   ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2014-02-16  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Andrey Repin

No kidding.

I'm not talking about using MSI to install Cygwin.

I'm talking about using an MSI installer which calls out to the regular Cygwin setup and lets it do the Cygwin install.

Then when Cygwin setup is finished then files are copied into the Cygwin installation.

Understand now?

@ 2014-02-16  6:17     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-16  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno, cygwin

Greetings, Gerry Reno!

> No kidding.

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU
Truly.

>>> I have a Windows MSI installer that first loads Cygwin and then has a
> I'm not talking about using MSI to install Cygwin.

Reading your own original message, which you shamelessly pushed behind, you
are.

> I'm talking about using an MSI installer which calls out to the regular
> Cygwin setup and lets it do the Cygwin install.

Nobody know, what crap that installer do to your system.
If you can reproduce the issue using normal (that is, supported) way of
installing Cygwin, you're welcome to provide necessary information, including
logs and stuff. Documentation can be obtained through the links at the end of
the message.
If not... See fig.1.

> Then when Cygwin setup is finished then files are copied into the Cygwin
> installation.

> Understand now?

No. I have zero knowledge of the product you are talking about.
This is Cygwin mailing list. If you want some support, you gotta use supported
ways to obtain the product.

See the links at the end of the message for further information.

P.S.
@CGF: Yes, I know, how it sounds. You have all rights to laugh.

--

@ 2014-02-16  7:35 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-02-16  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/02/2014 03:12, Gerry Reno wrote:
> I have a Windows MSI installer that first loads Cygwin and then has a deferred copy of some files into /usr/local/bin
> and /usr/local/etc.
>
> The copies into /usr/local/bin succeed fine.
>
> The copies into /usr/local/etc always get Access denied.
>
> I've tried swapping them and same behavior.  The files that would copy into /usr/local/bin now would not copy into
> /usr/local/etc.
>
> I'm seeing this behavior on Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 w/UAC.
>
> The installer prompts the user for elevated privileges to deal with UAC.
>
> Is there some underlying difference in the way that /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/etc are configured in Cygwin?

it should be no difference.
However you can check the Windows ACL with

$ cd /usr/local

/usr/local
$ getfacl bin
# file: bin
# owner: marco
# group: Administrators
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

$ getfacl etc
# file: etc
# owner: marco
# group: Administrators
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

however, I will not be surprised if setup run by a MSI have additional
limitation.

Can you install the same "package" by setup alone to compare ?

* Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16  7:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-16  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri, cygwin

Greetings, Marco Atzeri!

>> I have a Windows MSI installer that first loads Cygwin and then has a deferred copy of some files into /usr/local/bin
>> and /usr/local/etc.
>>
>> The copies into /usr/local/bin succeed fine.
>>
>> The copies into /usr/local/etc always get Access denied.
>>
>> I've tried swapping them and same behavior.  The files that would copy into /usr/local/bin now would not copy into
>> /usr/local/etc.
>>
>> I'm seeing this behavior on Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 w/UAC.
>>
>> The installer prompts the user for elevated privileges to deal with UAC.
>>
>> Is there some underlying difference in the way that /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/etc are configured in Cygwin?

> it should be no difference.
> However you can check the Windows ACL with

> $ cd /usr/local

> /usr/local
> $ getfacl bin

I would say, if you want to see _windows_ permissions, you need to use cacls.
gerfacl only show POSIX approximation of windows permissions.

--

@ 2014-02-16  8:46       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-02-16  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/02/2014 06:54, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Gerry Reno!
>
>> No kidding.
>
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU
> Truly.

>> I'm not talking about using MSI to install Cygwin.
>
> Reading your own original message, which you shamelessly pushed behind, you
> are.

Andrey,
as you like citations

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/rule5.html

"Don't post flame-bait

Finally, be pleasant and polite. Don't use offensive language, and don't
be confrontational for the sake of confrontation."

I will appreciate a more positive approach with newcomer's problem;
when you are not willing to help refrain from posting at all.

Harsh teacher make students hate the school, not learning more...

Regards
Marco

* Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16  9:05     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-02-16  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/02/2014 08:27, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Marco Atzeri!
>

>> However you can check the Windows ACL with
>
>> $ cd /usr/local
>
>> /usr/local
>> $ getfacl bin
>
> I would say, if you want to see _windows_ permissions, you need to use cacls.
> gerfacl only show POSIX approximation of windows permissions.

correct.

Curious however
  NOTE: Cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls.

but the two provide a slight different outputs:

   $ Icacls etc
etc GE-MATZERI-EU\0356EU:(F)
     BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX)
     Everyone:(RX)
     CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
     CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
     Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

  $ Icacls bin
bin GE-MATZERI-EU\0356EU:(F)
     BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX)
     Everyone:(RX)
     CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
     CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
     Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

$ cacls etc
E:\cygwin\usr\local\etc GE-MATZERI-EU\0356EU:F
                         BUILTIN\Administrators:R
                         Everyone:R
                         CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                         CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                         Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

$ cacls bin
E:\cygwin\usr\local\bin GE-MATZERI-EU\0356EU:F
                         BUILTIN\Administrators:R
                         Everyone:R
                         CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                         CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                         Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

cheers
Marco

* Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16  9:09       ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-02-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri, cygwin

Greetings, Marco Atzeri!

>>> However you can check the Windows ACL with
>>
>>> $ cd /usr/local
>>
>>> /usr/local
>>> $ getfacl bin
>>
>> I would say, if you want to see _windows_ permissions, you need to use cacls.
>> gerfacl only show POSIX approximation of windows permissions.
>>

> correct.

> Curious however
>   NOTE: Cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls.

> but the two provide a slight different outputs:

I have no access to my Win7 box right now (I've somehow managed to lock my
account while experimenting with `net user' command in the light of new Cygwin
functionality, and being swamped by ongoing work load decided to postpone
investigation... though it is probably worth a warning...)
What icacls says about "X" meaning? (That seems to be the only difference?)

(BTW, you can specify multiple objects for [i]cacls to inspect at once.)

--

@ 2014-02-16 10:31         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-02-16 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/02/2014 09:57, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Marco Atzeri!

>>> I would say, if you want to see _windows_ permissions, you need to use cacls.
>>> gerfacl only show POSIX approximation of windows permissions.
>>>

>> correct.
>
>> Curious however
>>    NOTE: Cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls.
>
>> but the two provide a slight different outputs:
>
> I have no access to my Win7 box right now (I've somehow managed to lock my
> account while experimenting with `net user' command in the light of new Cygwin
> functionality, and being swamped by ongoing work load decided to postpone
> investigation... though it is probably worth a warning...)
> What icacls says about "X" meaning? (That seems to be the only difference?)

RX (read and execute access)
R (read-only access)

> (BTW, you can specify multiple objects for [i]cacls to inspect at once.)
>
>>     $ Icacls etc
>> etc GE-MATZERI-EU\0356EU:(F)
>>       BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX)
>>       Everyone:(RX)
>>       CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
>>       CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
>>       Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

regards
MArco

* Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16 17:09       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2014-02-16 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 09:54:21AM +0400, Andrey Repin wrote:
>@CGF: Yes, I know, how it sounds. You have all rights to laugh.

You also know what I can do if you continue to push this new rude
personna.

* Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16 17:39   ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2014-02-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/16/2014 02:14 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 16/02/2014 03:12, Gerry Reno wrote:
>> I have a Windows MSI installer that first loads Cygwin and then has a deferred copy of some files into /usr/local/bin
>> and /usr/local/etc.
>>
>> The copies into /usr/local/bin succeed fine.
>>
>> The copies into /usr/local/etc always get Access denied.
>>
>> I've tried swapping them and same behavior.  The files that would copy into /usr/local/bin now would not copy into
>> /usr/local/etc.
>>
>> I'm seeing this behavior on Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 w/UAC.
>>
>> The installer prompts the user for elevated privileges to deal with UAC.
>>
>> Is there some underlying difference in the way that /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/etc are configured in Cygwin?
>

> it should be no difference.
> However you can check the Windows ACL with
>
> $ cd /usr/local
>
> /usr/local
> $ getfacl bin
> # file: bin
> # owner: marco
> # group: Administrators
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> mask:rwx
> other:r-x
> default:user::rwx
> default:group::r-x
> default:other:r-x
>
> $ getfacl etc
> # file: etc
> # owner: marco
> # group: Administrators
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> mask:rwx
> other:r-x
> default:user::rwx
> default:group::r-x
> default:other:r-x
>
> however, I will not be surprised if setup run by a MSI have additional
> limitation.
>
> Can you install the same "package" by setup alone to compare ?

I ran the acl checks and can find no difference between them which leads to this being yet another WiX/MSI installer
issue which doesn't surprise me.

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ getfacl bin
# file: bin
# owner: Administrator
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ getfacl etc
# file: etc
# owner: Administrator
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ cacls bin
C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin SECRET\Administrator:F
                                      SECRET\Domain Users:R
                                      Everyone:R
                                      CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                      CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                                      Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ cacls etc
C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc SECRET\Administrator:F
                                      SECRET\Domain Users:R
                                      Everyone:R
                                      CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                      CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                                      Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ Icacls bin
bin SECRET\Administrator:(F)
    SECRET\Domain Users:(RX)
    Everyone:(RX)
    CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
    CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
    Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ Icacls etc
etc SECRET\Administrator:(F)
    SECRET\Domain Users:(RX)
    Everyone:(RX)
    CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
    CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
    Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Thanks for your help.

* Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc
@ 2014-02-16 18:25     ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2014-02-16 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/16/2014 12:38 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:

> I ran the acl checks and can find no difference between them which leads to this being yet another WiX/MSI installer
> issue which doesn't surprise me.
>
> Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
> $ getfacl bin
> # file: bin
> # owner: Administrator
> # group: Domain Users
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> mask:rwx
> other:r-x
> default:user::rwx
> default:group::r-x
> default:other:r-x
>

> Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
> $ getfacl etc
> # file: etc
> # owner: Administrator
> # group: Domain Users
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> mask:rwx
> other:r-x
> default:user::rwx
> default:group::r-x
> default:other:r-x
>

> Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
> $ cacls bin
> C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin SECRET\Administrator:F
>                                       SECRET\Domain Users:R
>                                       Everyone:R
>                                       CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
>                                       CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
>                                       Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
>

> Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
> $ cacls etc
> C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc SECRET\Administrator:F
>                                       SECRET\Domain Users:R
>                                       Everyone:R
>                                       CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
>                                       CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
>                                       Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
>

> Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
> $ Icacls bin
> bin SECRET\Administrator:(F)
>     SECRET\Domain Users:(RX)
>     Everyone:(RX)
>     CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
>     CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
>     Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
>
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>
> Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
> $ Icacls etc
> etc SECRET\Administrator:(F)
>     SECRET\Domain Users:(RX)
>     Everyone:(RX)
>     CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
>     CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
>     Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
>
> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>

> Thanks for your help.

In case anyone else runs into this I found the problem, which was that on both these machines there was an already
existing install of Cygwin.

I removed these existing installations and then reran the installer which called out and ran Cygwin setup which created
a whole new Cygwin installation.

This time the installer had no problem copying files into the Cygwin installation.

For completeness here are the acls from the new Cygwin installations.  As you can see the installer uses SYSTEM as the
user account due to perMachine scope and elevated privileges required by UAC.

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ getfacl bin
# file: bin
# owner: SYSTEM
# group: SYSTEM
user::rwx
group::rwx
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ getfacl etc
# file: etc
# owner: SYSTEM
# group: SYSTEM
user::rwx
group::rwx
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ cacls bin
C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                                      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:R
                                      Everyone:R
                                      CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                      CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                                      Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ cacls etc
C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                                      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:R
                                      Everyone:R
                                      CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                      CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                                      Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ Icacls bin
bin NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)
    Everyone:(RX)
    CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
    CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
    Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ Icacls etc
etc NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(F)
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)
    Everyone:(RX)
    CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
    CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
    Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

I don't know if there are any other ramifications of Cygwin being installed under SYSTEM account but so far everything seems to work.

Again, thanks for the help tracking this down.

Gerry