* RE: What does ls do?
@ 2000-07-24 12:08 Halim, Salman
From: Halim, Salman @ 2000-07-24 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Randall R Schulz ', 'Earnie Boyd ',
	'Jens Yllman ', 'GNUWin32 '

i agree; while i haven't had a virus scanner trigger, i do occasionally get
'unable to access file' (or some such) messages with already open files
whenever i try an 'lf -F'.  i didn't think it a problem because it makes
sense that it would be done this way on windows :)

salman.

From: Jens Yllman @ 2000-07-24 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNUWin32

 Ok, thank you. I thougt this was the reason. I try to turn of the 'scan
on open' option. But keep the 'scan on write'. And hope it will work
better.

 Jens Yllman

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Jens Yllman <jens@uniweb.se> wrote:
> >  What do ls realy do? The reason I wonder is because I just noticed that
> > my virus program gets triggered for every file that is in the directory
> > that where I use ls. And all the file with the right(wrong) extension
> > get search by the virusprogram. And this makes ls very slow.
> >

> The best answer to your question about ls is "Use the source, Luke".  Your
> virus program must be triggered by a file being opened or even stat'ed.  If
> this is the case then all programs not just Cygwin ones will be affected.  The
> only cure that I've found is to disable the dynamic virus protection and
> periodically check your files for viruses.
>
> Cheers,
>
> =====
> ---
>    Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
>             __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
> Cygwin Newbies: < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ >
>            __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
>   Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
>     Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

> Get Yahoo! Mail – Free email you can access from anywhere!
> http://mail.yahoo.com/

* Re: What does ls do?
@ 2000-07-24 11:23 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2000-07-24 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd, Jens Yllman, GNUWin32

@ 2000-07-24 11:08 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-07-24 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Yllman, GNUWin32

--- Jens Yllman <jens@uniweb.se> wrote:
>  What do ls realy do? The reason I wonder is because I just noticed that
> my virus program gets triggered for every file that is in the directory
> that where I use ls. And all the file with the right(wrong) extension
> get search by the virusprogram. And this makes ls very slow.

The best answer to your question about ls is "Use the source, Luke".  Your
virus program must be triggered by a file being opened or even stat'ed.  If
this is the case then all programs not just Cygwin ones will be affected.  The
only cure that I've found is to disable the dynamic virus protection and
periodically check your files for viruses.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >