* LPR problem ?
@ 2014-03-21  9:35 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-03-21  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've installed the complete Cygwin environment on my Windows 8.1 system.
When I try to use 'lpr', it seems like the file is printed properly
*except* nothing comes out of the printer.  This is a Dell AIO 810
printer that, once I installed the proper driver, doesn't seem to have a
problem printing from Windows via (say) Notepad.  When I 'lpr' a file
under Cygwin, there is no errors and, in fact, the dialog box showing
that the file is being printed comes up, cycles out to 99%, thinks for a
few seconds, goes to 100%, and then seems to be done.  The problem is
that nothing comes out of the printer.

Anyone have ideas on how to debug this??
--
David Masterson

* Re: LPR problem ?
@ 2014-03-21 10:49 ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2014-03-21 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Masterson wrote:

> Anyone have ideas on how to debug this??

----
Have you tried the -D switch with
lpr to enable debugging output?

Are you sure you are correctly specifying the device
name?

* Re: LPR problem ?
@ 2014-03-26 20:05   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-03-26 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Let's try this again...

Linda Walsh writes:

> David Masterson wrote:
>
>> Anyone have ideas on how to debug this??
>
> ----
> Have you tried the -D switch with
> lpr to enable debugging output?
>
> Are you sure you are correctly specifying the device
> name?

It seems to be correct.  The debug switch on lpr doesn't say a whole lot:

$ lpr -D tasks.txt
Windows printer name = 'Dell AIO 810'
isWindows9x = 0, isWindows2K_NT4 = 1
Printer name: 'Journal Note Writer', Port name: 'Journal Note Writer Port:'
Printer name: 'Send To Neat', Port name: 'sdtn'
Printer name: 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer', Port name: 'PORTPROMPT:'
Printer name: 'Fax', Port name: 'SHRFAX:'
Printer name: 'Dell PC Fax', Port name: 'Dell PC Fax'
Printer name: 'Dell AIO 810', Port name: 'USB001'

So, this gives me the impression that it is sending the information to
the right place.  Also, when I do this, the Dell popup that tells you
what is being printed and where *DOES* popup to suggest that it got the
print request and it is trying to print it out.  The problem is that it
seems to send the file "somewhere", take a second to close the port,
then finish up and not report any problems.

p.s. "print /p tasks.txt" seems to work from cygwin Xterm I did the
"lpr" above from.  Just not sure how to control the size of the output
and would prefer to use the cygwin command.

Any other options?
--
David Masterson

* Re: LPR problem ?
@ 2014-03-26 20:40 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-03-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson, cygwin

Greetings, David Masterson!

> I've installed the complete Cygwin environment on my Windows 8.1 system.
> When I try to use 'lpr',

lpr to where?...

> it seems like the file is printed properly *except* nothing comes out of the
> printer.  This is a Dell AIO 810 printer that, once I installed the proper
> driver, doesn't seem to have a problem printing from Windows via (say)
> Notepad.  When I 'lpr' a file under Cygwin,

Are you sure you're using Cygwin's LPR, and not Windows own?

> there is no errors and, in fact, the dialog box showing
> that the file is being printed comes up, cycles out to 99%, thinks for a
> few seconds, goes to 100%, and then seems to be done.  The problem is
> that nothing comes out of the printer.

Erm...?
What dialog box?

> Anyone have ideas on how to debug this??

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: LPR problem ?
@ 2014-03-26 21:50   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-03-26 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin writes:

> Greetings, David Masterson!
>
>> I've installed the complete Cygwin environment on my Windows 8.1 system.
>> When I try to use 'lpr',
>
> lpr to where?...

Not sure I understand the question.  I'm trying to LPR a file to my Dell
AIO 810 printer.  Basically, just 'lpr file' from within a Cygwin shell
window.

>> it seems like the file is printed properly *except* nothing comes out of the
>> printer.  This is a Dell AIO 810 printer that, once I installed the proper
>> driver, doesn't seem to have a problem printing from Windows via (say)
>> Notepad.  When I 'lpr' a file under Cygwin,
>
> Are you sure you're using Cygwin's LPR, and not Windows own?

Windows has an 'lpr' command?!?  The command 'which lpr' reports /usr/bin/lpr.

>> there is no errors and, in fact, the dialog box showing
>> that the file is being printed comes up, cycles out to 99%, thinks for a
>> few seconds, goes to 100%, and then seems to be done.  The problem is
>> that nothing comes out of the printer.
>
> Erm...?
> What dialog box?

It seems to be a Dell dialog box possibly produced by the printer
driver.  I get it for anything that I try to print out to the printer
under Windows.  It pops up in the lower right of the screen and tells
you how far the printout has progressed as well as whether the ink
cartridge is running out.  This, at least, gives me the clue that the
'lpr' command is "kicking" the printer if not quite kicking it
properly.

Do you have a Dell AIO 810 printer?
--
David Masterson

* Re: LPR problem ?
@ 2014-03-26 23:17     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-03-26 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson, cygwin

Greetings, David Masterson!

>>> I've installed the complete Cygwin environment on my Windows 8.1 system.
>>> When I try to use 'lpr',
>>
>> lpr to where?...

> Not sure I understand the question.  I'm trying to LPR a file to my Dell
> AIO 810 printer.  Basically, just 'lpr file' from within a Cygwin shell
> window.

Then you probably printing to localhost.

>>> it seems like the file is printed properly *except* nothing comes out of the
>>> printer.  This is a Dell AIO 810 printer that, once I installed the proper
>>> driver, doesn't seem to have a problem printing from Windows via (say)
>>> Notepad.  When I 'lpr' a file under Cygwin,
>>
>> Are you sure you're using Cygwin's LPR, and not Windows own?

> Windows has an 'lpr' command?!?

Since the moment it gained TCP/IP support. Part of standard protocol stack.
Along with ftp, telnet and other stuff.
And not to disappoint anyone, but I've found that windows LPR works better in
certain cases.

> The command 'which lpr' reports /usr/bin/lpr.

Ok.

>>> there is no errors and, in fact, the dialog box showing
>>> that the file is being printed comes up, cycles out to 99%, thinks for a
>>> few seconds, goes to 100%, and then seems to be done.  The problem is
>>> that nothing comes out of the printer.
>>
>> Erm...?
>> What dialog box?

> It seems to be a Dell dialog box possibly produced by the printer
> driver.  I get it for anything that I try to print out to the printer
> under Windows.  It pops up in the lower right of the screen and tells
> you how far the printout has progressed as well as whether the ink
> cartridge is running out.  This, at least, gives me the clue that the
> 'lpr' command is "kicking" the printer if not quite kicking it
> properly.

> Do you have a Dell AIO 810 printer?

No, but I can quite imagine this kind of annoying boxes. Epson do that alot,
so does HP last six or so years.
This just confirms that you probably printing to localhost.
The answer could be that the resulting job missing something critical, and is
refused either by printer driver or the printer itself.
If you print something from Windows right after this failure of an experiemnt,
don't your LPR'd job gets out as well?
Another thought is that LPR works with printer on a low level.
Which means... the document you are sending to print must be preformatted in a
language the printer understand. I.e. it must be a plain text, PS, PCL or
something of that kind.

--

@ 2014-03-27  8:55       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-03-27  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> writes:

> Greetings, David Masterson!
>> Windows has an 'lpr' command?!?
>
> Since the moment it gained TCP/IP support. Part of standard protocol
> stack.  Along with ftp, telnet and other stuff.  And not to disappoint
> anyone, but I've found that windows LPR works better in certain cases.

Hmmmm.  Where (on Windows 8.1) is this 'lpr' command (or where is it
supposed to be)?  What exactly is it used for?  How is it used?

I think I found it in a hidden temp directory, but I don't have any
clues on how it is used.

>> It seems to be a Dell dialog box possibly produced by the printer
>> driver.  I get it for anything that I try to print out to the printer
>> under Windows.  It pops up in the lower right of the screen and tells
>> you how far the printout has progressed as well as whether the ink
>> cartridge is running out.  This, at least, gives me the clue that the
>> 'lpr' command is "kicking" the printer if not quite kicking it
>> properly.

> No, but I can quite imagine this kind of annoying boxes. Epson do that
> alot, so does HP last six or so years.  This just confirms that you
> probably printing to localhost.  The answer could be that the
> resulting job missing something critical, and is refused either by
> printer driver or the printer itself.  If you print something from
> Windows right after this failure of an experiemnt, don't your LPR'd
> job gets out as well?  Another thought is that LPR works with printer
> on a low level.  Which means... the document you are sending to print
> must be preformatted in a language the printer understand. I.e. it
> must be a plain text, PS, PCL or something of that kind.

I had thoughts along this line too (missing formfeed at end of file?),
but haven't devised a test yet.  Thought I might try the Windows 'lpr'
you spoke of to see if it worked better.  The 'print' command seems to
work, but I'm not sure if it has conversion problems (CRLF -> LF or vice
versa) and, so, causes strange wraps in the output.  If it had more
output controls, I'd probably just settle for that.

--
David Masterson

* Re: LPR problem ?
@ 2014-03-27  9:25       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-03-27  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2014-03-27 12:40         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-03-27 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson, cygwin

Greetings, David Masterson!

>>> Windows has an 'lpr' command?!?
>>
>> Since the moment it gained TCP/IP support. Part of standard protocol
>> stack.  Along with ftp, telnet and other stuff.  And not to disappoint
>> anyone, but I've found that windows LPR works better in certain cases.

> Hmmmm.  Where (on Windows 8.1) is this 'lpr' command (or where is it
> supposed to be)?

Supposed to be in %SystemRoot%/System32/lpr.exe
Not using that Vista clone myself.

> What exactly is it used for?  How is it used?

Same as Cygwin's lpr... Sending jobs to LPD-enabled printer.
lpr /?

> I think I found it in a hidden temp directory, but I don't have any
> clues on how it is used.

Shouldn't be "in a temp directory"...

>>> It seems to be a Dell dialog box possibly produced by the printer
>>> driver.  I get it for anything that I try to print out to the printer
>>> under Windows.  It pops up in the lower right of the screen and tells
>>> you how far the printout has progressed as well as whether the ink
>>> cartridge is running out.  This, at least, gives me the clue that the
>>> 'lpr' command is "kicking" the printer if not quite kicking it
>>> properly.

>> No, but I can quite imagine this kind of annoying boxes. Epson do that
>> alot, so does HP last six or so years.  This just confirms that you
>> probably printing to localhost.  The answer could be that the
>> resulting job missing something critical, and is refused either by
>> printer driver or the printer itself.  If you print something from
>> Windows right after this failure of an experiemnt, don't your LPR'd
>> job gets out as well?  Another thought is that LPR works with printer
>> on a low level.  Which means... the document you are sending to print
>> must be preformatted in a language the printer understand. I.e. it
>> must be a plain text, PS, PCL or something of that kind.

> I had thoughts along this line too (missing formfeed at end of file?),
> but haven't devised a test yet.  Thought I might try the Windows 'lpr'
> you spoke of to see if it worked better.  The 'print' command seems to
> work, but I'm not sure if it has conversion problems (CRLF -> LF or vice
> versa) and, so, causes strange wraps in the output.  If it had more
> output controls, I'd probably just settle for that.

cat | lpr
^L^D^D
Should spit the sheet out of the printer at the very least.
That assuming this is a hardware printer that understand basic English.

--

@ 2014-03-28  1:29         ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2014-03-28  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Masterson wrote:
> Hmmmm.  Where (on Windows 8.1) is this 'lpr' command (or where is it
> supposed to be)?  ...

This shows where it is on my XP machine. YMMV.

$ which -a lpr | cygpath -w -f-
C:\cygwin\bin\lpr
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lpr
$