From: "Chris J. Breisch" <chris.ml@breisch.org>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: g++ fails in cc1plus due to path
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 19:18:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Cook, Henry wrote:
> I'm running 32 bit Cygwin on a 64 bit machine to build 32 bit binaries.
 > Trying to build a simple program fails due to a pathing issue related
 > to g++/cc1plus.  I've tried several Cygwin re-installs, so that is not
 > the issue.  Calling "g++ foo.cpp" just hangs and never terminates.
 > The program is a simple: int main(){return 0;}.

1) I'm going to beat everyone else to the punch and suggest you go here:
https://cygwin.com/problems.html

In particular, a cygcheck output looks like it might be useful.

2) Can you please convince your mail program to put in a line break
occasionally?

3) I think I disagree with you that your install is not the issue, since
your test program compiles and runs perfectly for me.

I did change the return value to 5 for testing purposes.

$ cat > foo.cpp << EOF
 > int main() { return 5; }
 > EOF
$ g++ foo.cpp
$ ./a.exe
$ echo $?
5

> I get the following from strace.  This shows that the initialization path
 > is \??\C:\Windows instead of \??\C:\cygwin.  I don't know where this
is coming from.

>    192     192 [main] cc1plus (9284) Program name: C:\cygwin\lib\gcc\i686-pc-cygwin\4.8.2\cc1plus.exe (windows pid 9284)
>     45     237 [main] cc1plus (9284) OS version:   Windows NT-6.1

I don't see any initialization path stuff in my strace. I suspect you
have an old cygwin1.dll somewhere, and running cygcheck as described on
the "Reporting Problems" page linked above will likely point that out.

Are you running cc1plus directly?

--
Chris J. Breisch