* Missing strings.exe in binutils
@ 2014-06-01 23:01 Jeff Hubbs
From: Jeff Hubbs @ 2014-06-01 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi -

I have a script within a very complex software package that uses the
"strings"
command.  Everything I Googled/read suggests that strings.exe comes from the
binutils package.  The problem is that neither of the available versions
of binutils
seem to actually contain strings.exe.  It's not in /usr/bin; find can't turn
it up under /usr at all.

There's even this:

     $ cygcheck -p strings.exe
     Found 19 matches for strings.exe
     x86/binutils/binutils-2.24.51-2
     x86/binutils/binutils-2.24.51-3

And if I go to
https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86%2Fbinutils%2Fbinutils-2.24.51$
this appears:

Yet there's no strings.exe.  I've even tried binutils packages from a few
different mirrors.

If there's no fixed binutils package available, can someone shoot me a
strings.exe I can just fly into place for the time being?

Thanks,
- Jeff

* Re: Missing strings.exe in binutils
@ 2014-06-01 23:52 ` Duncan Roe
From: Duncan Roe @ 2014-06-01 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jun 01, 2014 at 07:01:41PM -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have a script within a very complex software package that uses the
> "strings"
> command.  Everything I Googled/read suggests that strings.exe comes from the
> binutils package.  The problem is that neither of the available versions of
> binutils
> seem to actually contain strings.exe.  It's not in /usr/bin; find can't turn
> it up under /usr at all.
>
> There's even this:
>
>     $ cygcheck -p strings.exe
>     Found 19 matches for strings.exe
>     x86/binutils/binutils-2.24.51-2
>     x86/binutils/binutils-2.24.51-3
>
> And if I go to
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86%2Fbinutils%2Fbinutils-2.24.51$
> this appears:

> Yet there's no strings.exe.  I've even tried binutils packages from a few
> different mirrors.
>
> If there's no fixed binutils package available, can someone shoot me a
> strings.exe I can just fly into place for the time being?
>
> Thanks,
> - Jeff

On my Slackware system, binutils comes with strings-GNU. Perhaps you will find
you have strings-GNU.exe - if so you could symlink it to strings.exe,

Cheers ... Duncan.

* Re: Missing strings.exe in binutils
@ 2014-06-02  0:28 ` Cliff Hones
From: Cliff Hones @ 2014-06-02  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/06/2014 00:01, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I have a script within a very complex software package that uses the "strings"
> command.  Everything I Googled/read suggests that strings.exe comes from the
> binutils package.  The problem is that neither of the available versions of binutils
> seem to actually contain strings.exe.  It's not in /usr/bin; find can't turn
> it up under /usr at all.
>
> There's even this:
>
>     $ cygcheck -p strings.exe
>     Found 19 matches for strings.exe
>     x86/binutils/binutils-2.24.51-2
>     x86/binutils/binutils-2.24.51-3
>
> And if I go to
> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86%2Fbinutils%2Fbinutils-2.24.51$
> this appears:

> Yet there's no strings.exe.  I've even tried binutils packages from a few
> different mirrors.
>
> If there's no fixed binutils package available, can someone shoot me a
> strings.exe I can just fly into place for the time being?

strings.exe certainly is in the binutils package I have installed.  Either you haven't
actually installed binutils or something has gone wrong with the installation. I suggest
you rerun setup.exe and install or reinstall binutils, and if that doesn't help
follow the problem reporting guidelines at http://cygwin.com/problems.html - in
particular attach the requested cygcheck output.

-- Cliff

* Re: Missing strings.exe in binutils
@ 2014-06-02  4:41   ` Jeff Hubbs
From: Jeff Hubbs @ 2014-06-02  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/1/14, 8:28 PM, Cliff Hones wrote:
> On 02/06/2014 00:01, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>> I have a script within a very complex software package that uses the "strings"
>> command.  Everything I Googled/read suggests that strings.exe comes from the
>> binutils package.  The problem is that neither of the available versions of binutils
>> seem to actually contain strings.exe.  It's not in /usr/bin; find can't turn
>> it up under /usr at all.
>>
>> There's even this:
>>
>>      $ cygcheck -p strings.exe
>>      Found 19 matches for strings.exe
>>      x86/binutils/binutils-2.24.51-2
>>      x86/binutils/binutils-2.24.51-3
>>
>> And if I go to
>> https://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=x86%2Fbinutils%2Fbinutils-2.24.51$
>> this appears:

>> Yet there's no strings.exe.  I've even tried binutils packages from a few
>> different mirrors.
>>
>> If there's no fixed binutils package available, can someone shoot me a
>> strings.exe I can just fly into place for the time being?
> strings.exe certainly is in the binutils package I have installed.  Either you haven't
> actually installed binutils or something has gone wrong with the installation. I suggest
> you rerun setup.exe and install or reinstall binutils, and if that doesn't help
> follow the problem reporting guidelines at http://cygwin.com/problems.html - in
> particular attach the requested cygcheck output.
>
> -- Cliff
It turned out that the setup.exe was 64-bit while the rest of the Cygwin
installation was 32-bit.  The errors I got from running cygcheck tipped
me off.  Case closed; strings.exe is present now. Thank you.

* Re: Missing strings.exe in binutils
@ 2014-06-02 18:12     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-06-02 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 6/1/2014 22:41, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> It turned out that the setup.exe was 64-bit while the rest of the Cygwin
> installation was 32-bit.

I'd recommend that you fix your PATH so that only one Cygwin's bin
directory is in the PATH at a time.  The two Cygwins are compatible only
in the same way that Cygwin is compatible with a DOS program:
http://goo.gl/0gfn4K