* Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine
@ 2014-08-17  6:41 paul
From: paul @ 2014-08-17  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I wanted to replicate my cygwin installation from a 32-bit machine to
another 32-bit machine, it was straightforward.  I would simply reinstall
all installed packages, but have the downloaded packages got to a folder
which I then burn to CD.

However, my next machine is a 64-bit machine.  So I have to use the 64-bit
setup.  Is there an almost-as-painless way to replicate the 64-bit version
of the packages that I have installed on my 32-bit machine?

* Re: Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine
@ 2014-08-17 12:01 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2014-08-17 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/17/2014 2:41 AM, paul wrote:
> When I wanted to replicate my cygwin installation from a 32-bit machine to
> another 32-bit machine, it was straightforward.  I would simply reinstall
> all installed packages, but have the downloaded packages got to a folder
> which I then burn to CD.
>
> However, my next machine is a 64-bit machine.  So I have to use the 64-bit
> setup.  Is there an almost-as-painless way to replicate the 64-bit version
> of the packages that I have installed on my 32-bit machine?

The 32-bit packages and set up run fine on a 64 bit processor.
You just don't get as large a memory space for the programs
when they are running.

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine
@ 2014-08-18  0:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-08-18  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul, cygwin

Greetings, paul!

> When I wanted to replicate my cygwin installation from a 32-bit machine to
> another 32-bit machine, it was straightforward.  I would simply reinstall
> all installed packages, but have the downloaded packages got to a folder
> which I then burn to CD.

> However, my next machine is a 64-bit machine.  So I have to use the 64-bit
> setup.  Is there an almost-as-painless way to replicate the 64-bit version
> of the packages that I have installed on my 32-bit machine?

You contradicting yourself. 64-bit packages are entirely different files than
32-bit packages. Your only option is to download all of them. One way or
another.

Also keep in mind that not all of packages are ported over to 64bit yet.
If this may be an important factor in your decision to switch over to 64-bit
installation, you'd have to do some investigation first. I.e. install 64-bit
OS in virtual machine and try some things you normally do in your daily use.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine
@ 2014-08-18 14:05   ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-08-18 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eliot Moss <moss <at> cs.umass.edu> writes:

> On 8/17/2014 2:41 AM, paul wrote:
> > When I wanted to replicate my cygwin installation from a 32-bit
machine to
> > another 32-bit machine, it was straightforward.  I would simply
reinstall
> > all installed packages, but have the downloaded packages got to a
folder
> > which I then burn to CD.
> >
> > However, my next machine is a 64-bit machine.  So I have to use the 64-
bit
> > setup.  Is there an almost-as-painless way to replicate the 64-bit
version
> > of the packages that I have installed on my 32-bit machine?
>
> The 32-bit packages and set up run fine on a 64 bit processor.
> You just don't get as large a memory space for the programs
> when they are running.

Yes, I was hoping to benefit from the 64-bit address space.  But it took
some trial and error to settle on the packages I wanted.  Hoping I don't
have to go through the same process again with the 64-bit packages.

* Re: Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine
@ 2014-08-18 14:31   ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-08-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin <anrdaemon <at> yandex.ru> writes:
>> When I wanted to replicate my cygwin installation from a 32-bit
>> machine to another 32-bit machine, it was straightforward.  I would
>> simply reinstall all installed packages, but have the downloaded
>> packages got to a folder which I then burn to CD.
>>
>> However, my next machine is a 64-bit machine.  So I have to use the
>> 64-bit setup.  Is there an almost-as-painless way to replicate the
>> 64-bit version of the packages that I have installed on my 32-bit
>> machine?
>
> You contradicting yourself. 64-bit packages are entirely different
> files than 32-bit packages.

Yes, I understand.  I was referring to the 64-bit versions of my
32-bit packages.  It took quite some period of discovery to determine
my operational needs and the packages required. I'm hoping to avoid
that re-experiencing that.

> Your only option is to download all of them. One way or another.

OK.

> Also keep in mind that not all of packages are ported over to 64bit
> yet.

Worse comes to worse, I'll simply install my 32-bit packages.  As I
said, the method of replicating the subset of packages that I already
have is straightforward.

> If this may be an important factor in your decision to switch over
> to 64-bit installation, you'd have to do some investigation first.
> I.e. install 64-bit OS in virtual machine and try some things you
> normally do in your daily use.

I'm migrating to a new machine.  I'll just try the 64-bit for real on
the new machine.  If it doesn't work out, I always have a disc of my
subset of 32-bit packages.

Thanks!

* Re: Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine
@ 2014-08-18 14:58     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-08-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/18/2014 10:30 AM, Paul wrote:

>> >You contradicting yourself. 64-bit packages are entirely different
>> >files than 32-bit packages.
> Yes, I understand.  I was referring to the 64-bit versions of my
> 32-bit packages.  It took quite some period of discovery to determine
> my operational needs and the packages required. I'm hoping to avoid
> that re-experiencing that.

You shouldn't have allot of trouble matching the 64-bit version of any
package with the 32-bit version.  Assuming there is a 64-bit version of
the package you want, package names are typically very similar between
the two architectures.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-08-22 18:18       ` Paul.Domaskis
From: Paul.Domaskis @ 2014-08-22 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>On 08/18/2014 10:30 AM, Paul wrote:
>>Andrey Repin <anrdaemon <at> yandex.ru> writes:
>>> When I wanted to replicate my cygwin installation from a 32-bit
>>> machine to another 32-bit machine, it was straightforward.  I would
>>> simply reinstall all installed packages, but have the downloaded
>>> packages got to a folder which I then burn to CD.
>>>
>>> However, my next machine is a 64-bit machine.  So I have to use the
>>> 64-bit setup.  Is there an almost-as-painless way to replicate the
>>> 64-bit version of the packages that I have installed on my 32-bit
>>> machine?
>>
>> You contradicting yourself. 64-bit packages are entirely different
>> files than 32-bit packages.
> Yes, I understand.  I was referring to the 64-bit versions of my
> 32-bit packages.  It took quite some period of discovery to determine
> my operational needs and the packages required. I'm hoping to avoid
> that re-experiencing that.
>
> You shouldn't have allot of trouble matching the 64-bit version of any
> package with the 32-bit version.  Assuming there is a 64-bit version of
> the package you want, package names are typically very similar between
> the two architectures.

Understood, Larry.  It's just that there are so many packages, and I
don't want to manually find all the matching packages.  Before, if I
wanted to replicate a cygwin install on another machine, I just
reinstalled all my packages, but saved the packages to a folder that I
could write to disc.  I can't do that if I want to replicate my
packages as 62-bit versions.

* Re: Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine
@ 2014-08-22 19:01         ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-08-22 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/22/2014 02:17 PM, Paul.Domaskis wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

>>> You contradicting yourself. 64-bit packages are entirely different
>>> files than 32-bit packages.
>> Yes, I understand.  I was referring to the 64-bit versions of my
>> 32-bit packages.  It took quite some period of discovery to determine
>> my operational needs and the packages required. I'm hoping to avoid
>> that re-experiencing that.
>>
>> You shouldn't have allot of trouble matching the 64-bit version of any
>> package with the 32-bit version.  Assuming there is a 64-bit version of
>> the package you want, package names are typically very similar between
>> the two architectures.
>
> Understood, Larry.  It's just that there are so many packages, and I
> don't want to manually find all the matching packages.  Before, if I
> wanted to replicate a cygwin install on another machine, I just
> reinstalled all my packages, but saved the packages to a folder that I
> could write to disc.  I can't do that if I want to replicate my
> packages as 62-bit versions.

Well, right.  There's no way to automatically map all 32-bit packages
to their 64-bit counterparts, particularly because there isn't always a
64-bit package to map to.  What I was suggesting was a method you could
use to make a first pass at the 64-bit packages that you want to download.
It won't be perfect but it would be a quicker alternative to doing this
all manually.  But if 64-bit packages are what you're looking for, you
definitely have to go through some process for this once.  After that,
you can employ the same technique to replicate your 64-bit installation
elsewhere.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-08-22 22:10         ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2014-08-22 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 06:17:32PM +0000, Paul.Domaskis wrote:
> Understood, Larry.  It's just that there are so many packages, and I
> don't want to manually find all the matching packages.  Before, if I
> wanted to replicate a cygwin install on another machine, I just
> reinstalled all my packages, but saved the packages to a folder that I
> could write to disc.  I can't do that if I want to replicate my
> packages as 62-bit versions.

I don't think there's any perfect solution to this problem -- as noted
there just isn't a perfect mapping between 32-bit and 64-bit packages --
but it occurs to me that you could install the cygcheck-dep package and
call `cygcheck-dep -il`.  That'll give you a list of just the "leaves"
in the tree of installed packages and their dependencies, which may be a
better starting point for what packages you need to install on your new
system, since you'll automatically get all their dependencies.

* Re: Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine
@ 2014-09-05 15:41           ` Paul
From: Paul @ 2014-09-05 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Adam Dinwoodie <adam <at> dinwoodie.org> writes:
> I don't think there's any perfect solution to this problem -- as
> noted there just isn't a perfect mapping between 32-bit and 64-bit
> packages -- but it occurs to me that you could install the
> cygcheck-dep package and call `cygcheck-dep -il`.  That'll give you
> a list of just the "leaves" in the tree of installed packages and
> their dependencies, which may be a better starting point for what
> packages you need to install on your new system, since you'll
> automatically get all their dependencies.

Larry, Adam,

Thanks for the follow up.  I don't want to match packages from the
bottom up because some of them are automatically chosen based on
dependencies.  I ended up just going through manually choosing
packages.  Wasn't all that bad.