* Re: changing cygdrive prefix in fstab has no effect
@ 2014-09-10  0:03 Mitch Deoudes
From: Mitch Deoudes @ 2014-09-10  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Linda:
 >> Have you tried 'mount -h'?

Yes - I believe I mentioned it above.  Changing the prefix via mount
does not seem to survive between sessions, on this install.

@Andrey
 >> Simplest would be to just reboot the box to be absolutely sure.

I believe these boxes have been rebooted multiple times, and I've
double-checked the contents of /etc/fstab & they match what I posted
originally.

It's almost as if /etc/fstab isn't getting read at all...

* Re: changing cygdrive prefix in fstab has no effect
@ 2014-09-10  2:17 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-09-10  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 09/09/2014 08:03 PM, Mitch Deoudes wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> @Linda:
>  >> Have you tried 'mount -h'?
>
> Yes - I believe I mentioned it above.  Changing the prefix via mount does
> not seem to survive between sessions, on this install.
>
> @Andrey
>  >> Simplest would be to just reboot the box to be absolutely sure.
>
> I believe these boxes have been rebooted multiple times, and I've
> double-checked the contents of /etc/fstab & they match what I posted
> originally.
>
> It's almost as if /etc/fstab isn't getting read at all...

WJFFM.  Does it perform any differently if you have a mount file per user
in /etc/fstab.d?  Can you find any clues in the mount table documentation?
<https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table>

Perhaps cygcheck output as specified by the link below would provide
some ideas.

Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-09-03 17:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-09-03 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mitch Deoudes, cygwin

Greetings, Mitch Deoudes!

> I'm teaching a class at a local college, and since their computer lab is
> stocked with Windows 7 & 8 machines, I had them install cygwin64 to use
> as a command line.

> The only change I requested they make to the config is to replace the
> "/cygdrive" in /etc/fstab with "/".  This is my config at home, and
> googling seems to indicate it is an accepted way of changing the default
> prefix.  The problem is, it has no effect - the prefix (in a new
> session) is still /cygdrive, as shown by mount and ls.

Make sure NO cygwin-related sessions active. Simplest would be to just reboot
the box to be absolutely sure.

> Any tips on why this may not be working?  I've verified the change to
> /etc/fstab - it's the default, with only the first occurrence of
> "/cygdrive" changed to "/".  It happened in two different computer labs,
> administered by to different sysadmins, on I believe two different
> operating systems (win7 & 8).  I don't have a cygcheck output on me, but
> this is a clean install, downloaded as of this week, with no extra
> packages except python.  Using "mount -c" works, but is not persistent
> between sessions.

You'll be surprized, but... I've just migrated to a Win7/64 and when setting
up a new Cygwin root, I made a stupid mistake.

none / binary,posix=0,user 0 0

Took a little while to notice complaints on STDERR.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: changing cygdrive prefix in fstab has no effect
@ 2014-09-03 13:31 ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2014-09-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Have you tried 'mount -h'?

It shows an option to change the cygdrive.

I've always used that.  In regards to the cygdrive
prefix I thought the results of changing the prefix with
the 'mount' command were recorded in /etc/fstab --
and that it wasn't the source of the direction...?

* changing cygdrive prefix in fstab has no effect
@ 2014-09-03  4:54 Mitch Deoudes