* Packages up for adoption
@ 2014-09-18 18:43 Chris Sutcliffe
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Chris Sutcliffe @ 2014-09-18 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I haven't used Cygwin for quite some time and unfortunately I don't
think I'll have the time to maintain the packages that I currently
look after.  As such I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
maintainership of the following packages: astyle, cppcheck, googlecl,
hexedit, libsigc2.0, libtorrent, mingw-runtime, mingw-w32api, mksh,
python-gdata, rtorrent and wtf.  If anyone is interested, please speak
up.

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Sutcliffe
http://google.com/+ChrisSutcliffe

* Re: Packages up for adoption [GOLD STAR]
@ 2014-09-18 18:56 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-09-18 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 2014-09-18 at 13:44 -0400, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> I haven't used Cygwin for quite some time and unfortunately I don't
> think I'll have the time to maintain the packages that I currently
> look after.  As such I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
> maintainership of the following packages: astyle, cppcheck, googlecl,
> hexedit, libsigc2.0, libtorrent, mingw-runtime, mingw-w32api, mksh,
> python-gdata, rtorrent and wtf.  If anyone is interested, please speak
> up.

Thank you for the update, and many thanks for your contributions to the
project over the years.  Best of luck on your future endeavours.

I have taken libsigc2.0 as it is used by the GTKmm packages, and have
marked the others ORPHANED in cygwin-pkg-maint.  Anyone who is
interested in maintaining any of these packages, please follow-up with
an ITA on cygwin-apps.

Andrew, I see that we already gave Chris a gold watch, but could you
find a couple more stars in your stash for Chris?

Yaakov

* Re: Packages up for adoption
@ 2014-09-19  3:34 ` David Stacey
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Stacey @ 2014-09-19  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18/09/14 18:44, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> I haven't used Cygwin for quite some time and unfortunately I don't
> think I'll have the time to maintain the packages that I currently
> look after.  As such I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
> maintainership of the following packages: astyle, cppcheck, googlecl,
> hexedit, libsigc2.0, libtorrent, mingw-runtime, mingw-w32api, mksh,
> python-gdata, rtorrent and wtf.  If anyone is interested, please speak
> up.

Thank you for all your work with Cygwin - I have used cppcheck quite a
lot over the years, and I really appreciated your efforts in maintaining
that package in particular.

Given that I use cppcheck quite a bit, I'd be happy to adopt it - I'll
look at packaging version 1.66 in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Dave.

* Re: Packages up for adoption
@ 2014-09-19  6:39 ` Steven Penny
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steven Penny @ 2014-09-19  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> As such I'm looking for any volunteers to take over maintainership of the
> following packages: astyle, cppcheck, googlecl, hexedit, libsigc2.0,
> libtorrent, mingw-runtime, mingw-w32api, mksh, python-gdata, rtorrent and wtf.

I could take over googlecl

* Re: Packages up for adoption
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-19 14:50 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-09-19 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 9/18/2014 11:44, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

> I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
> maintainership of the following packages: ... hexedit

I could do hexedit.

I downloaded the source package, and was happy to see that you'd
cygported it already.  It looks to be pretty rarely updated, which is
nice from a maintainership standpoint.

I have a couple of questions:

1. There doesn't seem to be a mailing list for the project at its home,
which is now http://rigaux.org/  (The cygport file gives an older URL.)
  How do you learn about new releases?

2. I built it from the cygport, and the result seems to work, except
that the function keys aren't being interpreted correctly.  Is this a
problem in MinTTY, in the terminal protocol I've selected (xterm-color),
or in hexedit?  If the latter, I think I'm signing up to release a -2 to
fix it.

3. Is there a good reason for this to remain in the distro along with
bvi, other than "it's not vi"?

* Re: Packages up for adoption
@ 2014-09-19 14:56   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-09-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 19/09/2014 16:31, Warren Young wrote:
> On 9/18/2014 11:44, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
>> maintainership of the following packages: ... hexedit
>
> I could do hexedit.
>
> I downloaded the source package, and was happy to see that you'd
> cygported it already.  It looks to be pretty rarely updated, which is
> nice from a maintainership standpoint.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. There doesn't seem to be a mailing list for the project at its home,
> which is now http://rigaux.org/  (The cygport file gives an older URL.)
>   How do you learn about new releases?

I suspect the updated rate is very very low for this time of sources.
(similar to bvi that is taking 10 years from 1.3.2 to 1.4.0 release
candidate)

> 2. I built it from the cygport, and the result seems to work, except
> that the function keys aren't being interpreted correctly.  Is this a
> problem in MinTTY, in the terminal protocol I've selected (xterm-color),
> or in hexedit?  If the latter, I think I'm signing up to release a -2 to
> fix it.
>
> 3. Is there a good reason for this to remain in the distro along with
> bvi, other than "it's not vi"?

that the last upstream version is already packed, so you can also do
nothing for the time being ?

  ;-)
Marco

* Re: Packages up for adoption
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-19 15:36 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-09-19 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 9/18/2014 11:44, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

> I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
> maintainership of the following packages: mksh

I'm also somewhat interested in this one.  I've never been a Korn shell
user, but I recently learned about mksh and its place in Bourne family
shell history. [1]  Only a ksh93 package would be more valuable, but
until someone adopts that, I think mksh still has a place in Cygwin.

More questions:

1. Where is the source package?  setup.exe doesn't offer it.

2. Have you cygported it yet?  I built it from the official tarball, and
while it has a primitive non-Autotools build system, it looks compatible
with cygport.

3. Other than time, is there a reason you haven't released R50b yet?  It
seems to pass its own test suite here, so if I adopt it, I'm committing
to releasing R50b shortly, unless there are traps I haven't discovered.

4. What do you think about replacing mksh in Cygwin with ksh93?  It
seems OSS-enough to make Red Hat happy. [2]

[1]: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/145522/#145524
[2]: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/ksh

* Re: Packages up for adoption
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-19 15:50 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2014-09-19 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18/09/2014 19:44, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I haven't used Cygwin for quite some time and unfortunately I don't
> think I'll have the time to maintain the packages that I currently
> look after.  As such I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
> maintainership of the following packages: astyle, cppcheck, googlecl,
> hexedit, libsigc2.0, libtorrent, mingw-runtime, mingw-w32api, mksh,
> python-gdata, rtorrent and wtf.  If anyone is interested, please speak
> up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

I will take libtorrent and rtorrent

Marco

* Re: Packages up for adoption [GOLD STAR]
@ 2014-09-22  0:26   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-09-22  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Thu, 2014-09-18 at 13:44 -0400, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> > I haven't used Cygwin for quite some time and unfortunately I don't
> > think I'll have the time to maintain the packages that I currently
> > look after.  As such I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
> > maintainership of the following packages: astyle, cppcheck, googlecl,
> > hexedit, libsigc2.0, libtorrent, mingw-runtime, mingw-w32api, mksh,
> > python-gdata, rtorrent and wtf.  If anyone is interested, please speak
> > up.
>
> Thank you for the update, and many thanks for your contributions to the
> project over the years.  Best of luck on your future endeavours.
>
> I have taken libsigc2.0 as it is used by the GTKmm packages, and have
> marked the others ORPHANED in cygwin-pkg-maint.  Anyone who is
> interested in maintaining any of these packages, please follow-up with
> an ITA on cygwin-apps.
>
> Andrew, I see that we already gave Chris a gold watch, but could you
> find a couple more stars in your stash for Chris?

Awarded:  http://cygwin.com/goldstars/#CS

* Re: Packages up for adoption
@ 2014-10-08 16:37   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2014-10-08 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Warren,

On Sep 19 08:56, Warren Young wrote:
> On 9/18/2014 11:44, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> >
> >I'm looking for any volunteers to take over
> >maintainership of the following packages: mksh
>
> I'm also somewhat interested in this one.  I've never been a Korn shell
> user, but I recently learned about mksh and its place in Bourne family shell
> history. [1]  Only a ksh93 package would be more valuable, but until someone
> adopts that, I think mksh still has a place in Cygwin.
>
> More questions:
>
> 1. Where is the source package?  setup.exe doesn't offer it.

It's definitely available on cygwin.com, and it's also mentioned in
setup.ini.

> 2. Have you cygported it yet?  I built it from the official tarball, and
> while it has a primitive non-Autotools build system, it looks compatible
> with cygport.

Yes, Chris cygported it already.

> 3. Other than time, is there a reason you haven't released R50b yet?  It
> seems to pass its own test suite here, so if I adopt it, I'm committing to
> releasing R50b shortly, unless there are traps I haven't discovered.
>
> 4. What do you think about replacing mksh in Cygwin with ksh93?  It seems
> OSS-enough to make Red Hat happy. [2]

ksh93 comes with a compatibility layer lib called AST.  I don't think
this lib has ever been ported to Cygwin 1.7.  The last official binary
release for Cygwin is for 32 bit only, dated 2012-08-06.  From the
README files in the sources I gather the latest Cygwin patch is from
2004, which is way back in the Cygwin 1.5 era.  A quick scan of the
latest released source shows that AST still uses the pre-1.7 path
conversion functions which are not available on 64 bit Cygwin.  There's
a bit of porting required I guess.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Packages up for adoption
@ 2014-10-08 16:57   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-10-08 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2014-09-19 09:56, Warren Young wrote:
> 3. Other than time, is there a reason you haven't released R50b yet?  It
> seems to pass its own test suite here, so if I adopt it, I'm committing
> to releasing R50b shortly, unless there are traps I haven't discovered.

I suspect it was just a matter of time (or lack thereof).

> 4. What do you think about replacing mksh in Cygwin with ksh93?  It
> seems OSS-enough to make Red Hat happy. [2]

We could ship both and just not have a ksh -> mksh symlink.  But if you
do decide to build ksh93, then please be sure to add the Fedora
patchset, as there are a lot of fixes there.

Yaakov