* No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-17 23:13 Paul.Domaskis
From: Paul.Domaskis @ 2014-09-17 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm using the following 64-bit packages:

   cygwin 1.7.28-2
   bash-completion 1.3-1

If I am in a folder that contains file _vimrc and directory _vimfiles,
filename completion doesn't respond.  I type "ls _" or "ls _v" and
press tab -- nothing happens.  I can't really do anything about it
because it took months to approve the use of cygwin install CDs made
near the beginning of the year, but I was wondering the problem is
reproducible by others?

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-17 23:30 ` Paul.Domaskis
From: Paul.Domaskis @ 2014-09-17 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<Paul.Domaskis> writes:
> I'm using the following 64-bit packages:
>
>    cygwin 1.7.28-2 bash-completion 1.3-1
>
> If I am in a folder that contains file _vimrc and directory
> _vimfiles, filename completion doesn't respond.  I type "ls _" or
> "ls _v" and press tab -- nothing happens.  I can't really do
> anything about it because it took months to approve the use of
> cygwin install CDs made near the beginning of the year, but I was
> wondering the problem is reproducible by others?

Oops, my bad.  The phrase "file _vimrc and directory _vimfiles" should
read "files _vimrc and _viminfo".  The directory is actually
"vimfiles" and has no underscore.

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-18  0:03   ` Paul.Domaskis
From: Paul.Domaskis @ 2014-09-18  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

<Paul.Domaskis> writes:
><Paul.Domaskis> writes:
>> I'm using the following 64-bit packages:
>>
>>    cygwin 1.7.28-2 bash-completion 1.3-1
>>
>> If I am in a folder that contains file _vimrc and directory
>> _vimfiles, filename completion doesn't respond.  I type "ls _" or
>> "ls _v" and press tab -- nothing happens.  I can't really do
>> anything about it because it took months to approve the use of
>> cygwin install CDs made near the beginning of the year, but I was
>> wondering the problem is reproducible by others?
>
> Oops, my bad.  The phrase "file _vimrc and directory _vimfiles" should
> read "files _vimrc and _viminfo".  The directory is actually
> "vimfiles" and has no underscore.

I'm not sure if this is a false alarm, but I have another error in my
original post, due to my haste in cobbling together an arbitrary
example.  In actuality, completion does not fail for "ls _v".  It
fails for "find _v".  But it works for other commands like ls and
find.  Again, lack of completion fails only when trying to specify
filenames starting with underscore as arguments to the find command.

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-18  0:29     ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2014-09-18  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2014-09-17, Paul.Domaskis wrote:
> <Paul.Domaskis> writes:
> ><Paul.Domaskis> writes:
> >> I'm using the following 64-bit packages:
> >>
> >>    cygwin 1.7.28-2 bash-completion 1.3-1
> >>
> >> If I am in a folder that contains file _vimrc and directory
> >> _vimfiles, filename completion doesn't respond.  I type "ls _" or
> >> "ls _v" and press tab -- nothing happens.  I can't really do
> >> anything about it because it took months to approve the use of
> >> cygwin install CDs made near the beginning of the year, but I was
> >> wondering the problem is reproducible by others?
> >
> > Oops, my bad.  The phrase "file _vimrc and directory _vimfiles" should
> > read "files _vimrc and _viminfo".  The directory is actually
> > "vimfiles" and has no underscore.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a false alarm, but I have another error in my
> original post, due to my haste in cobbling together an arbitrary
> example.  In actuality, completion does not fail for "ls _v".  It
> fails for "find _v".  But it works for other commands like ls and
> find.  Again, lack of completion fails only when trying to specify
> filenames starting with underscore as arguments to the find command.

File names or directory names?  The path argument to find must be a
directory, so the bash-completion function for find completes only
directory names when it is expecting the path argument.  Bash alone,
without the bash-completion package, doesn't know anything about
find's arguments and will complete file names, too.

The ls command, on the other hand, can be used to list files or
directories so the ls bash-completion function expands both.

Regards,
Gary

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-18 18:51       ` David Boyce
From: David Boyce @ 2014-09-18 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> The path argument to find must be a directory.

Sorry, but I can't let this go by. The statement above is incorrect,
as a simple test like "find /etc/passwd -print" would show.

David

@ 2014-09-18 20:54         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-09-18 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/18/2014 11:42 AM, David Boyce wrote:
>> The path argument to find must be a directory.
>
> Sorry, but I can't let this go by. The statement above is incorrect,
> as a simple test like "find /etc/passwd -print" would show.

Or just "find /etc/passwd". (-print has been the default for decades...
The man page it's the default but you should proob)
--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-18 21:32           ` Paul.Domaskis
From: Paul.Domaskis @ 2014-09-18 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria <Andrew <at> DeFaria.com> writes:
>On 9/18/2014 11:42 AM, David Boyce wrote:
>>> The path argument to find must be a directory.
>>
>> Sorry, but I can't let this go by. The statement above is
>> incorrect, as a simple test like "find /etc/passwd -print" would
>> show.
>
> Or just "find /etc/passwd". (-print has been the default for
> decades...  The man page it's the default but you should proob)

Maybe things have changed.  I think Gary Johnson is right.

For background, my old 32-bit cygwin 1.7.17-1 install (bash 4.1.10-4),
"cygcheck -cvs | grep -i completion" shows no packages with the string
"completion" in the name.  And if I have files (not directories)
_viminfo & _vimrc, tabbing after "find _vi" does a completion up to
"find _vim", then shows me the two candidate files thereafter.

In my new 64-bit cygwin 1.7.28-2 (bash 4.1.11-2, bash-completion
1.3-1), I also have _viminfo & _vimrc, but "find _vi" doesn't
complete, nor does it show candidate files.  I ensured that I have
directories vimfiles and vimtest, and "find vi" does complete up to
"find vim", then shows me the two candidate directories thereafter.

On the other hand, in the new 64-bit cygwin, "ls vi" and "ls _vi"
*always* completes as much as it can, then shows me the two candidates
thereafter.

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-18 22:55             ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2014-09-18 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2014-09-18, Paul.Domaskis wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria <Andrew <at> DeFaria.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Sorry, but I can't let this go by. The statement above is
> >> incorrect, as a simple test like "find /etc/passwd -print" would
> >> show.
> >
> > Or just "find /etc/passwd". (-print has been the default for
> > decades...  The man page it's the default but you should proob)
>
> Maybe things have changed.  I think Gary Johnson is right.

David is right:  find does accept a file name as the path argument.
I didn't know that.  (Obviously.)  The man page doesn't really say,
but all references to the path argument suggest that it contains a
directory or list of directories.

Nevertheless, the completion function for find (_find(), in
/etc/bash_completion.d/findutils or
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/find) does expect that
argument to be a directory and expands only directories.

Regards,
Gary

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-20  3:02               ` Paul.Domaskis
From: Paul.Domaskis @ 2014-09-20  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gary Johnson <garyjohn <at> spocom.com> writes:
> David is right:  find does accept a file name as the path argument.
> I didn't know that.  (Obviously.)  The man page doesn't really say,
> but all references to the path argument suggest that it contains a
> directory or list of directories.
>
> Nevertheless, the completion function for find (_find(), in
> /etc/bash_completion.d/findutils or
> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/find) does expect that
> argument to be a directory and expands only directories.

I think I will need to deepen my knowledge into the bowels of unix.
This thread is the first I've heard that completion depended on the
command being typed.  Thanks, all.

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-20 11:14                 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-09-20 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul.Domaskis, cygwin

Greetings, Paul.Domaskis!

>> David is right:  find does accept a file name as the path argument.
>> I didn't know that.  (Obviously.)  The man page doesn't really say,
>> but all references to the path argument suggest that it contains a
>> directory or list of directories.
>>
>> Nevertheless, the completion function for find (_find(), in
>> /etc/bash_completion.d/findutils or
>> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/find) does expect that
>> argument to be a directory and expands only directories.

> I think I will need to deepen my knowledge into the bowels of unix.
> This thread is the first I've heard that completion depended on the
> command being typed.  Thanks, all.

That's the reason for bash-completion package.
If you remove it, then the completion will fall back to generic behavior.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-24 23:03                   ` Paul.Domaskis
From: Paul.Domaskis @ 2014-09-24 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin <anrdaemon <at> yandex.ru> writes:
>Paul.Domaskis wrote:
>> I think I will need to deepen my knowledge into the bowels of unix.
>> This thread is the first I've heard that completion depended on the
>> command being typed.  Thanks, all.
>
> That's the reason for bash-completion package.  If you remove it,
> then the completion will fall back to generic behavior.

Interesting.  I might un-install bash-completion.  But I will first
experiment.  According to /usr/share/doc/bash-completion/README, I can
use M-/ to force completion.  For the "M", I unsuccessfully
experimented with the Windows key, Alt, and Ctl.  Then I tried to seek
more details.  The source for info about M-/ is described as the man
page.  However, it's not clear to me how to invoke the man page for
bash-completion.  The man page for bash should be for the bash-native
completion.  The cygwin package search doesn't show much for
documentation besides /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/bash-completion.README.

Can anyone suggest how the bash-completion man page is acccessed, and
what M-/ means?

Thanks.

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-25  0:09                     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2014-09-25  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul.Domaskis; +Cc: cygwin

On 9/24/2014 6:19 PM, Paul.Domaskis wrote:
> Andrey Repin <anrdaemon <at> yandex.ru> writes:
>> Paul.Domaskis wrote:

> Can anyone suggest how the bash-completion man page is acccessed, and
> what M-/ means?

M is for "meta", as in the meta escape key functionality in Emacs.
This will work according to the bash command line editing facility,
etc.  There are different ways to "make" meta-ness.  One, if you
set it up, is to use the Alt shift key.  Another is to type the
Escape key then the one that meta is being applied to, in this
case, Escape then / (as two separate key strokes).  I think given
this information you can dig up more.  I don't know where the
documentation is on the bash completion package, off the top of
my head.

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-25 22:13                       ` Paul.Domaskis
From: Paul.Domaskis @ 2014-09-25 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eliot Moss <moss <at> cs.umass.edu> writes:
>On 9/24/2014 6:19 PM, Paul.Domaskis wrote:
>>Andrey Repin <anrdaemon <at> yandex.ru> writes:
>>>Paul.Domaskis wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest how the bash-completion man page is acccessed, and
>> what M-/ means?
>
> M is for "meta", as in the meta escape key functionality in Emacs.
> This will work according to the bash command line editing facility,
> etc.  There are different ways to "make" meta-ness.  One, if you
> set it up, is to use the Alt shift key.  Another is to type the
> Escape key then the one that meta is being applied to, in this
> case, Escape then / (as two separate key strokes).  I think given
> this information you can dig up more.  I don't know where the
> documentation is on the bash completion package, off the top of
> my head.

From googling, the meta key is Alt (simultaneously) or Esc (pressed
and released before the accompanying key).  Using these to try and get
M-/, neither combination forces completion.  In both cases, the entire
command line content is replaced by a forward slash.

I thought that the following .inputrc might be causing the problem:

   .inputrc
   --------
   set visible-stats on
   set editing-mode vi

So I renamed it to something else and launched some new cygwin
windows.  Puzzlingly, the command line editing behaviour remains
unchanged.  Not only does completion not work.  So

   find _vim<Tab>

doesn't complete even though _viminfo and _vimrc are present.
Similarly using of Alt or Esc for the meta key doesn't result in
completion when M-/ is typed.  Much more puzzlingly, I can still get
vi editing behaviour at the bash command line.  Very strange.

And the mystery doesn't stop there.  If I open up an xterm, the above
completion *does* work using just the tab key.  Woohoo!  Very strange
that it would work, though -- it shouldn't!

However, the other anomalies are still present in the xterm.  That is,
using Alt or Esc for the meta key in M-/ results in the entire command
line content being replaced by forward slash, and I also can get vi
editing behaviour at the bash command line.

Curioser and curioser....

* Re: No file name completion for file names start with underscore
@ 2014-09-26  7:30                         ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2014-09-26  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/25/2014 4:36 PM, Paul.Domaskis wrote:
> Eliot Moss <moss <at> cs.umass.edu> writes:
>>> Can anyone suggest how the bash-completion man page is acccessed, and
>>> what M-/ means?

> From googling, the meta key is Alt (simultaneously) or Esc (pressed
> and released before the accompanying key).  Using these to try and get
> M-/, neither combination forces completion.  In both cases, the entire
> command line content is replaced by a forward slash.

Works for me, but I have 'set -o emacs' set in my bash.  I wonder
if it is somehow dependent on using emacs style command line editing?

Regards -- Eliot Moss