* fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-08  9:14 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-10-08  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I try to start fish directly from the Windows shell instead of from
bash, I get a boatload of errors, like this:

===
/usr/share/fish/functions/type.fish (line 14):  if not getopt -T > /dev/null
                                                              ^
in function 'type',
        called on standard input,
        with parameter list '-p command-not-found'

in function '__fish_command_not_found_setup',
        called on line 2 of file '/home/andrex/.config/fish/functions/fish_promp
t.fish',
        with parameter list 'cut'

in event handler: handler for generic event 'fish_command_not_found'

/usr/share/fish/functions/type.fish (line 26):          if not getopt $options $
argv >/dev/null
                                                                      ^
in function 'type',
        called on standard input,
        with parameter list '-p command-not-found'

in function '__fish_command_not_found_setup',
        called on line 2 of file '/home/andrex/.config/fish/functions/fish_promp
t.fish',
        with parameter list 'cut'

in event handler: handler for generic event 'fish_command_not_found'
===

and so on.  The problem seems to be that the PATH isn't set correctly.  PATH
doesn't include /bin or /usr/bin:

===
andrex@ > echo $PATH
fish: Unknown command '__fish_pwd'
Standard input: echo $_ " "; __fish_pwd
                             ^
in command substitution
        called on standard input,

/win/c/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Microsoft Online Services /wi
n/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Microsoft Online Services
/win/c/Windows/system32 /win/c/Windows /win/c/Windows/System32/Wbem /win/c/Windo
ws/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0
===

If I edit /etc/fish/config.fish and add:

set PATH /bin /usr/bin $PATH

then fish starts normally.  Should something like this be added to
/etc/fish/config.fish or /usr/share/fish/config.fish?

This matters because if I want to make fish my default shell, I need it to start on
its own with a usable PATH set.

Thanks,
Andrew.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-08  9:52 ` Alive4Ever
From: Alive4Ever @ 2014-10-08  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Andrew Schulman

On Wednesday, October 08, 2014 05:13:54 AM Andrew Schulman wrote:
> When I try to start fish directly from the Windows shell instead of from
> bash, I get a boatload of errors, like this:
>
> ===
> /usr/share/fish/functions/type.fish (line 14):  if not getopt -T > /dev/null
>                                                               ^
> in function 'type',
>         called on standard input,
>         with parameter list '-p command-not-found'
>
> in function '__fish_command_not_found_setup',
>         called on line 2 of file '/home/andrex/.config/fish/functions/fish_promp
> t.fish',
>         with parameter list 'cut'
>
> in event handler: handler for generic event 'fish_command_not_found'
>
> /usr/share/fish/functions/type.fish (line 26):          if not getopt $options $
> argv >/dev/null
>                                                                       ^
> in function 'type',
>         called on standard input,
>         with parameter list '-p command-not-found'
>
> in function '__fish_command_not_found_setup',
>         called on line 2 of file '/home/andrex/.config/fish/functions/fish_promp
> t.fish',
>         with parameter list 'cut'
>
> in event handler: handler for generic event 'fish_command_not_found'
> ===
>
> and so on.  The problem seems to be that the PATH isn't set correctly.  PATH
> doesn't include /bin or /usr/bin:
>
> ===
> andrex@ > echo $PATH
> fish: Unknown command '__fish_pwd'
> Standard input: echo $_ " "; __fish_pwd
>                              ^
> in command substitution
>         called on standard input,
>
> /win/c/Program Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Microsoft Online Services /wi
> n/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/Microsoft Online Services
> /win/c/Windows/system32 /win/c/Windows /win/c/Windows/System32/Wbem /win/c/Windo
> ws/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0
> ===
>
> If I edit /etc/fish/config.fish and add:
>
> set PATH /bin /usr/bin $PATH
>
> then fish starts normally.  Should something like this be added to
> /etc/fish/config.fish or /usr/share/fish/config.fish?
>
> This matters because if I want to make fish my default shell, I need it to start on
> its own with a usable PATH set.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew.

I suggest you to read fish manual page, and find how to invoke fish as login
shell. On bash and zsh, there is '-l' flag so that they behave with fresh
environment variables.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-08  9:58   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-10-08  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Wednesday, October 08, 2014 05:13:54 AM Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > When I try to start fish directly from the Windows shell instead of from
> > bash, I get a boatload of errors, like this:
>
> I suggest you to read fish manual page, and find how to invoke fish as login
> shell. On bash and zsh, there is '-l' flag so that they behave with fresh
> environment variables.

Doh! Right. Thanks.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-08 10:08     ` Dave Kilroy
From: Dave Kilroy @ 2014-10-08 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/10/2014 10:57, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> On Wednesday, October 08, 2014 05:13:54 AM Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> When I try to start fish directly from the Windows shell instead of from
>>> bash, I get a boatload of errors, like this:
>> I suggest you to read fish manual page, and find how to invoke fish as login
>> shell. On bash and zsh, there is '-l' flag so that they behave with fresh
>> environment variables.
> Doh! Right. Thanks.

Does that work. It seemed to have the same issue as noted in the
following thread https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-04/msg00111.html

Dave.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-08 17:37       ` Alive4Ever
From: Alive4Ever @ 2014-10-08 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Wednesday, October 08, 2014 11:08:43 AM you wrote:
> Does that work. It seemed to have the same issue as noted in the
> following thread https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-04/msg00111.html
>
> Dave.

It should work, although I don't recommend running cygwin apps directly
via wincmd, unless the underlying shell is invoked as interactive login
shell.

You can find the example of how to invoke cygwin correctly by looking at
Cygwin.bat file on cygwin root directory.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-09 10:11         ` Dave Kilroy
From: Dave Kilroy @ 2014-10-09 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: glitchmr

On 08/10/2014 18:36, Alive4Ever wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 08, 2014 11:08:43 AM you wrote:
>> Does that work. It seemed to have the same issue as noted in the
>> following thread https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-04/msg00111.html
>>
>> Dave.
> It should work, although I don't recommend running cygwin apps directly
> via wincmd, unless the underlying shell is invoked as interactive login
> shell.
So I just re-tested starting a fish login shell after updating cygwin64.
As I suspected, fish has not been updated since the thread I quoted (Apr
2014), and the issue remains (with my install). Google doesn't show the
maintainer on list since the announcement (Oct 2013), and his e-mail
bounces. Cc'ing anyway, just in case.
> You can find the example of how to invoke cygwin correctly by looking at
> Cygwin.bat file on cygwin root directory.
I'm aware of how to invoke login shells and start cygwin, thanks.

Andrew: appreciated if you can confirm whether simply invoking as a
login shell works for you.

Regards,

Dave.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-09 14:01           ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-10-09 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On 08/10/2014 18:36, Alive4Ever wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 08, 2014 11:08:43 AM you wrote:
> >> Does that work. It seemed to have the same issue as noted in the
> >> following thread https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-04/msg00111.html
> >>
> > It should work, although I don't recommend running cygwin apps directly
> > via wincmd, unless the underlying shell is invoked as interactive login
> > shell.
> So I just re-tested starting a fish login shell after updating cygwin64.
> As I suspected, fish has not been updated since the thread I quoted (Apr
> 2014), and the issue remains (with my install). Google doesn't show the
> maintainer on list since the announcement (Oct 2013), and his e-mail
> bounces. Cc'ing anyway, just in case.

If fish needs a new maintainer, it looks like not a hard package to
maintain.  It has a simple and up-to-date cygport script, and builds OOTB
with just one small source code patch.

> Andrew: appreciated if you can confirm whether simply invoking as a
> login shell works for you.

It sort of works.  When I change my shell to /usr/bin/fish in /etc/passwd
and run

C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -

I don't get any error messages, as I first reported.  But the environment
isn't set up correctly.  The main problem seems to be that although I'm
running 64-bit cygwin, the directory for 32-bit cygwin is mounted as the
root filesystem:

 ~> cygpath -w /
C:\cygwin

By comparison when I start fish from bash, I get:

aschulma@LC77E1AASCHULMA ~> cygpath -w /
C:\cygwin64

This is a pretty serious problem.  Any thoughts on why it happens?

Andrew

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-09 15:35             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-10-09 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Schulman, cygwin

Greetings, Andrew Schulman!

>> Andrew: appreciated if you can confirm whether simply invoking as a
>> login shell works for you.

> It sort of works.  When I change my shell to /usr/bin/fish in /etc/passwd
> and run

> C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -

> I don't get any error messages, as I first reported.  But the environment
> isn't set up correctly.  The main problem seems to be that although I'm
> running 64-bit cygwin, the directory for 32-bit cygwin is mounted as the
> root filesystem:

>  ~> cygpath -w /
> C:\cygwin

> By comparison when I start fish from bash, I get:

> aschulma@LC77E1AASCHULMA ~> cygpath -w /
> C:\cygwin64

> This is a pretty serious problem.  Any thoughts on why it happens?

Initial %PATH% problem?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-09 16:44               ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-10-09 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Greetings, Andrew Schulman!
>
> >> Andrew: appreciated if you can confirm whether simply invoking as a
> >> login shell works for you.
>
> > It sort of works.  When I change my shell to /usr/bin/fish in /etc/passwd
> > and run
>
> > C:\cygwin64\bin\mintty.exe -
>
> > I don't get any error messages, as I first reported.  But the environment
> > isn't set up correctly.  The main problem seems to be that although I'm
> > running 64-bit cygwin, the directory for 32-bit cygwin is mounted as the
> > root filesystem:
>
> >  ~> cygpath -w /
> > C:\cygwin
>
> > By comparison when I start fish from bash, I get:
>
> > aschulma@LC77E1AASCHULMA ~> cygpath -w /
> > C:\cygwin64
>
> > This is a pretty serious problem.  Any thoughts on why it happens?
>
> Initial %PATH% problem?

Andrey, good catch.  My system %PATH% did indeed include C:\cygwin\bin.

So I removed that, and restarted fish.  Good news:  the system mount points
are right again - they point into C:\Cygwin64, not C:\Cygwin.  That's a
relief!

Bad news: the PATH problem is back.  When I run

C:\cygwin64\bin\fish.exe -l

I get the same error messages as before on startup, and PATH doesn't
include /bin /usr/bin /sbin /usr/sbin.

How are /bin /usr/bin etc. normally added to the PATH?  I don't see any
logic to do it in /usr/share/fish/config.fish.

Andrew

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-09 17:35                 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-10-09 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Schulman, cygwin

Greetings, Andrew Schulman!

> Bad news: the PATH problem is back.  When I run

> C:\cygwin64\bin\fish.exe -l

> I get the same error messages as before on startup, and PATH doesn't
> include /bin /usr/bin /sbin /usr/sbin.

> How are /bin /usr/bin etc. normally added to the PATH?  I don't see any
> logic to do it in /usr/share/fish/config.fish.

That logic probably should be included.
At least, bash does that in login files.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: fish PATH problem [ping Konrad]
@ 2014-10-09 18:01           ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-10-09 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> So I just re-tested starting a fish login shell after updating cygwin64.
> As I suspected, fish has not been updated since the thread I quoted (Apr
> 2014), and the issue remains (with my install). Google doesn't show the
> maintainer on list since the announcement (Oct 2013), and his e-mail
> bounces. Cc'ing anyway, just in case.

The release notes for version 2.1.1
(http://fishshell.com/release_notes.html) show that that release fixed
multiple security vulnerabilities.  If Konrad isn't available to update the
package, then someone else should take over maintainership and upload the
new release.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-09 21:55                   ` Dave Kilroy
From: Dave Kilroy @ 2014-10-09 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 09/10/2014 18:26, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Andrew Schulman!
>
>> Bad news: the PATH problem is back.  When I run
>> C:\cygwin64\bin\fish.exe -l
>> I get the same error messages as before on startup, and PATH doesn't
>> include /bin /usr/bin /sbin /usr/sbin.
>> How are /bin /usr/bin etc. normally added to the PATH?  I don't see any
>> logic to do it in /usr/share/fish/config.fish.
> That logic probably should be included.
> At least, bash does that in login files.

That was my conclusion as well*. Question is, should fish provide the
configuration, or should base-files cover all shells?

Andrew: thanks for confirming. If you're still looking for the logic and
where to put it, I suggested something in * as well.

Regards,

Dave.

* https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-04/msg00175.html

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-10 13:46                     ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-10-10 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On 09/10/2014 18:26, Andrey Repin wrote:
> > Greetings, Andrew Schulman!
> >
> >> Bad news: the PATH problem is back.  When I run
> >> C:\cygwin64\bin\fish.exe -l
> >> I get the same error messages as before on startup, and PATH doesn't
> >> include /bin /usr/bin /sbin /usr/sbin.
> >> How are /bin /usr/bin etc. normally added to the PATH?  I don't see any
> >> logic to do it in /usr/share/fish/config.fish.
> > That logic probably should be included.
> > At least, bash does that in login files.
> >

> That was my conclusion as well*. Question is, should fish provide the
> configuration, or should base-files cover all shells?
>
> Andrew: thanks for confirming. If you're still looking for the logic and
> where to put it, I suggested something in * as well.

OK, I rolled a new release of fish 2.1.1:

x86:
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/x86/fish-2.1.1-1.tar.xz
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/x86/fish-2.1.1-1-src.tar.xz

x86_64:
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/x86_64/fish-2.1.1-1.tar.xz
http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/x86_64/fish-2.1.1-1-src.tar.xz

It adds the following improvements in /etc/fish/config.fish:

* Prepends /usr/local/bin /bin to PATH.  This solves the PATH errors for me.

* Changes to the home directory in login shells.

* sources all scripts /etc/profile.d/*.fish.  So far I think there are few or none of
those, but once fish supports them, some will start to appear, especially if we can
get cygport to start creating them.

I think that's the best answer to your question about base-files.  I looked in
/etc/profile to see if it might be made to support fish too, but I don't think so.
It's too sh-centric.  fish's syntax is too different.  So if fish supports
/etc/profile.d on its own, then we can just leave it at that.

Please try it out, and let me know how it works for you.  If it's okay and if Konrad
doesn't answer, then I'll adopt the package and put out the new release.  I've
switched to using fish as my default shell now, so I want to see it maintained.

Andrew

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-10 15:19       ` Alive
From: Alive @ 2014-10-10 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 08/10/2014 17:08, Dave Kilroy wrote:
>>> I suggest you to read fish manual page, and find how to invoke fish
>>> as login
>>> shell. On bash and zsh, there is '-l' flag so that they behave with
>>> fresh
>>> environment variables.
>> Doh! Right. Thanks.
>>

> Does that work. It seemed to have the same issue as noted in the
> following thread https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-04/msg00111.html
>
> Dave.
I've tested launcing `fish -l -i` from wincmd. A lot of errors shown.
I think `fish` is not yet optimized to be `default shell` for cygwin.
There are still more works to be done to make it usable as cygwin login
shell.

For a quick comparison, `bash -l -i` and `zsh -l -i` works fine, even
when launched via wincmd. The PATH environment is set up correctly with
them, so that there is no problem to use bash and zsh for cygwin login
shell.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-10 15:27         ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2014-10-10 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> >> Doh! Right. Thanks.
> >>

> > Does that work. It seemed to have the same issue as noted in the
> > following thread https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-04/msg00111.html
> >
> > Dave.
> I've tested launcing `fish -l -i` from wincmd. A lot of errors shown.
> I think `fish` is not yet optimized to be `default shell` for cygwin.
> There are still more works to be done to make it usable as cygwin login
> shell.

Please try the updated fish 2.1.1 package I just posted, and see if it fixes those
problems for you.  Exit all running fish shells, then run:

wget http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/$(arch)/fish-2.1.1-1.tar.xz
tar -Jx -C/ -f fish-2.1.1-1.tar.xz

Then try starting fish as a login shell.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-10 15:52           ` Alive
From: Alive @ 2014-10-10 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/10/2014 22:27, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> Please try the updated fish 2.1.1 package I just posted, and see if it fixes those
> problems for you.  Exit all running fish shells, then run:
>
> wget http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/$(arch)/fish-2.1.1-1.tar.xz
> tar -Jx -C/ -f fish-2.1.1-1.tar.xz
>
> Then try starting fish as a login shell.

Yeah, it's great that you've packaged a new version. I'm just curious
with `fish` behavior, so that I install it on my cygwin.

I'd rather stay with standardized `bash` and `zsh` for my shells instead
of experiment with the nonstandard `fish` shell.

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-10 17:57                     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-10-10 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dave Kilroy writes:
> That was my conclusion as well*. Question is, should fish provide the
> configuration, or should base-files cover all shells?

Since fish isn't in Base and deviates quite a bit from the "classic"
shells in its startup behaviour, I don't really think it would be
appropriate.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: fish PATH problem
@ 2014-10-13 19:44                       ` Dave Kilroy
From: Dave Kilroy @ 2014-10-13 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/10/2014 14:46, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> OK, I rolled a new release of fish 2.1.1:
>
> x86:
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/x86/fish-2.1.1-1.tar.xz
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/x86/fish-2.1.1-1-src.tar.xz
>
> x86_64:
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/x86_64/fish-2.1.1-1.tar.xz
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex2/cygwin/x86_64/fish-2.1.1-1-src.tar.xz
>
> Please try it out, and let me know how it works for you.  If it's okay and if Konrad
> doesn't answer, then I'll adopt the package and put out the new release.  I've
> switched to using fish as my default shell now, so I want to see it maintained.

I downloaded both versions and verified that `fish -l` didn't show the
path issue. Success.

Thanks,

Dave.