* Re: Emacs: ispell fails
@ 2014-10-17 13:16 Zdzislaw Meglicki
From: Zdzislaw Meglicki @ 2014-10-17 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: kbrown

>>> The question is why aspell thinks the encoding is "nil".

Ah, indeed. Would the following have set it so:

   (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'no-conversion)

What would be the best (i.e., least intrusive) setting to use here?

Cheers,
Gustav Meglicki
Indiana University

* Re: Emacs: ispell fails
@ 2014-10-17 13:43 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-10-17 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/17/2014 9:13 AM, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:

> Ah, indeed. Would the following have set it so:
>
>     (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'no-conversion)
>
> What would be the best (i.e., least intrusive) setting to use here?

I would suggest not setting it at all.  Emacs is pretty good at figuring
out what coding system to use when saving a buffer.

Ken

* Re: Emacs: ispell fails
@ 2014-10-16 20:15 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-10-16 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/16/2014 11:21 AM, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
> ispell-message and ispell-region fail in Emacs with the following
> message:
> ==
> Starting new Ispell process /usr/bin/aspell with default dictionary...
> ispell-init-process: Error: The encoding "nil" is not known. This could also mean that the file "/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/nil.cset" could not be opened for reading or does not exist.
> ==

They work for me.

> The file, /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/nil.cset, indeed does not exist.
> Should it?

No.  /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/ contains files *.cset corresponding to valid
encodings.  The question is why aspell thinks the encoding is "nil".  My
guess is that something in your initialization files is causing this.
Do you still have the problem with 'emacs -Q'?

Ken

* Emacs: ispell fails
@ 2014-10-16 15:25 Zdzislaw Meglicki
From: Zdzislaw Meglicki @ 2014-10-16 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: kbrown

ispell-message and ispell-region fail in Emacs with the following
message:
==
Starting new Ispell process /usr/bin/aspell with default dictionary...
ispell-init-process: Error: The encoding "nil" is not known. This could also mean that the file "/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/nil.cset" could not be opened for reading or does not exist.
==

The file, /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/nil.cset, indeed does not exist.
Should it?

The stand-alone aspell works fine.

Versions:

Emacs 24.3.93.1