* Re: Looking for pointers to extended installation help
@ 2011-02-02 14:57 Larry W. Virden
From: Larry W. Virden @ 2011-02-02 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

----- Original Message -----
From:Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com>

> There's the section in the FAQ for common setup questions/issues:

Thank you. We haven't started yet on the setup - there's always something that needs to be fixed... - I just thought I would do some pre-emptive research so that we had some useful links before hand.  I know that when we did this before, we used the FAQs, instructions, etc. but just could not figure out how to get things to work.

I think this time we will probably start fresh, but I am going to see if I can figure out what packages are currently installed, so that we can at least start out with those already installed.

--
Tcl - It's the real thing. http://wiki.tcl.tk/
http://www.facebook.com/lvirden/

* Re: Looking for pointers to extended installation help
@ 2011-02-02 14:51 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2011-02-02 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/2/2011 9:10 AM, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> A few years ago, I attempted to install cygwin on Windows XP and found that
> despite following the standard instructions, I was unsuccessful in getting
> cron to run, had some problems with gcc, etc.
>
> Are there additional cygwin tutorials, guides, helps, books  that might
> provide more in-depth help for someone not particularly knowledgable in
> administering a unix setup?  Maybe something oriented towards someone with
> more Windows experience?
>
> Thank you for any pointers you might be able to provide.

There's the section in the FAQ for common setup questions/issues:

<http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup>

There's also a like section in the Users Guide that describes the different
installation options:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-net.html#internet-setup>

The Cygwin-X documentation pages have a step-by-step guide to the install:

<http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup.html#setup-cygwin-x-installing>

--
Larry

A: Yes.