* Cygwin clipboard flaky on Windows 7
@ 2014-10-17 11:28 Chris Stenton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Stenton @ 2014-10-17 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After 4 years I've just upgrade to version :-

CYGWIN_NT-6.1 mars 1.7.32(0.274/5/3) 2014-08-13 23:03 i686 Cygwin

I use the following batch file :-

run XWin :1 -clipboard -nodecoration -notrayicon -dpi 100  -query
machine  -from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -once

on my windows 7 machine.

When X is first started and with one "windows notepad" open I can
bi-directionally  cut and paste between the MS and X windows world.
However, it seems  that if I have multiple MS windows open then I can't
cut from MS windows and paste into the X world. It still works for X
world to MS World.

Sadly I wrote over my old version which did not have this issue. Is
there any fix for this?

Thanks

Chris

* RE: Cygwin clipboard flaky on Windows 7
@ 2014-10-17 14:07 ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2014-10-17 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Chris Stenton

> After 4 years I've just upgrade to version :-
>
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1 mars 1.7.32(0.274/5/3) 2014-08-13 23:03 i686 Cygwin
>
> I use the following batch file :-
>
> run XWin :1 -clipboard -nodecoration -notrayicon -dpi 100  -query machine
> -from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -once
>
> on my windows 7 machine.
>
> When X is first started and with one "windows notepad" open I can bi-
> directionally  cut and paste between the MS and X windows world.
> However, it seems  that if I have multiple MS windows open then I can't
> cut from MS windows and paste into the X world. It still works for X world
> to MS World.
>
> Sadly I wrote over my old version which did not have this issue. Is there
> any fix for this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

This is interesting because just yesterday I was extensively copying
and pasting from a pair of Notepad windows into my Mintty/bash session
using getclip, and occasionally it would just paste in a single garbage
character. So, this is different from the OP in that X is not involved.

After seeing this post, I tried for nearly a half hour trying to
discern a repeatable pattern to exhibit this behavior, but failed.
Don't want to inject red herrings here, but I've only noticed this
with two Notepad windows open and copying alternately from either.
Also, it seems that selecting new notepad text, but neglecting to
Ctrl+C may be somehow involved. Again, I've tried many combinations of
this and have not been able to discern any pattern of when failure
occurs.

This one non-repeatable failure may be illustrative. Consider two
Notepad windows open, A and B, and a mintty/bash shell window open.
The following steps produced failure:

Select text from A, Ctrl-C, getclip (worked), select text from B,
Ctrl-C, getclip (worked), click somewhere in A to deselect text,
click somewhere in B to deselect text, getclip (failed!).

FWIW:

$ uname -srvmo
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 1.7.32(0.274/5/3) 2014-08-13 23:06 x86_64 Cygwin
$ /usr/lib/csih/winProductName
Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
$ getclip --version
getclip is part of cygutils version 1.4.14
  Copy the Windows Clipboard to stdout

$ cygcheck -c cygutils
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygutils             1.4.14-1       OK
$ cygcheck -c cygwin
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygwin               1.7.32-1       OK
$

--Ken Nellis

* RE: Cygwin clipboard flaky on Windows 7
@ 2014-10-17 15:06   ` Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2014-10-17 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Nellis, Kenneth
> This is interesting because just yesterday I was extensively copying and
> pasting from a pair of Notepad windows into my Mintty/bash session using
> getclip, and occasionally it would just paste in a single garbage
> character. So, this is different from the OP in that X is not involved.
>
> After seeing this post, I tried for nearly a half hour trying to discern a
> repeatable pattern to exhibit this behavior, but failed.
> Don't want to inject red herrings here, but I've only noticed this with
> two Notepad windows open and copying alternately from either.
> Also, it seems that selecting new notepad text, but neglecting to
> Ctrl+C may be somehow involved. Again, I've tried many combinations of
> this and have not been able to discern any pattern of when failure occurs.
>
> This one non-repeatable failure may be illustrative. Consider two Notepad
> windows open, A and B, and a mintty/bash shell window open.
> The following steps produced failure:
>
> Select text from A, Ctrl-C, getclip (worked), select text from B, Ctrl-C,
> getclip (worked), click somewhere in A to deselect text, click somewhere
> in B to deselect text, getclip (failed!).

I have a new theory on this, which may as well apply to the OP as well: PEBCAK.

After selecting text in Notepad and Ctrl-C copying, then clicking in the
mintty window to refocus the keyboard to run getclip, perhaps slopping clicking
caused Mintty's auto-copy-on-select feature to maybe capture an accidental
single-character selection, thus wiping out what was copied from Notepad.

I'll be more careful about clicking and post again if I can rule that out.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: Cygwin clipboard flaky on Windows 7
@ 2014-10-17 17:15     ` Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2014-10-17 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17 October 2014 09:05, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> I'll be more careful about clicking and post again if I can rule that out.
> --Ken Nellis

After a lot of grief with programs that either eat or ignore the click
that focuses the window, and thus may or may not change the selection
and insert point, I try to click on the window frame or use Alt-Tab or
Win-Tab. This usually does not change the selection and caret
locations in either window, so the windows behave more predicably,
regardless of what they do with the first click.

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

* Re: Cygwin clipboard flaky on Windows 7
@ 2014-10-21 12:15 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2014-10-21 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: chris

On 17/10/2014 12:28, Chris Stenton wrote:
> When X is first started and with one "windows notepad" open I can
> bi-directionally  cut and paste between the MS and X windows world.
> However, it seems  that if I have multiple MS windows open then I can't
> cut from MS windows and paste into the X world. It still works for X
> world to MS World.

Thanks for reporting your problem.

I spent a little bit of time using X and 2 "windows notepad" windows
trying to reproduce the problem, but I wasn't able to do so.

Do you have any other programs running when the problem occurs
(particularly 'clipboard manager' programs)?

Can you attach a /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log after you have seen the problem?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Cygwin clipboard flaky on Windows 7
@ 2014-10-21 14:26   ` Chris Stenton
From: Chris Stenton @ 2014-10-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 21/10/2014 13:15, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 17/10/2014 12:28, Chris Stenton wrote:
>> When X is first started and with one "windows notepad" open I can
>> bi-directionally  cut and paste between the MS and X windows world.
>> However, it seems  that if I have multiple MS windows open then I can't
>> cut from MS windows and paste into the X world. It still works for X
>> world to MS World.
>
> Thanks for reporting your problem.
>
> I spent a little bit of time using X and 2 "windows notepad" windows
> trying to reproduce the problem, but I wasn't able to do so.
>
> Do you have any other programs running when the problem occurs
> (particularly 'clipboard manager' programs)?
>
> Can you attach a /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log after you have seen the
> problem?

Hi,

I don't think I have any other clipboard manager progs running . But a
lot of progs are started at login.

Here is the output from  XWin.1.log you can see the GetClipboardData is
failing.

Chris

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.16.1.0
OS: CYGWIN_NT-6.1 mars 1.7.32(0.274/5/3) 2014-08-13 23:03 i686
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 [Windows NT 6.1 build 7601] (Win32)
Package: version 1.16.1-2 built 2014-10-08

XWin was started with the following command line:

/usr/bin/XWin :1 -clipboard -nodecoration -notrayicon -dpi 100
  -query xxxxxxxxx  -from xxxxxxxxxxxx -once

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeScreenDefaults - primary monitor w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeScreenDefaults - native DPI x 96 y 96
[361495.266] (II) xorg.conf is not supported
[361495.266] (II) See http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html for
more
formation
[361495.266] LoadPreferences: /home/jacs/.XWinrc not found
[361495.266] LoadPreferences: Loading /etc/X11/system.XWinrc
[361495.266] LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
[361495.266] winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed, allowing
Shado
DNL
[361495.282] winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines
00000015
[361495.282] winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
[361495.282] winScreenInit - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per
pixel
[361495.329] winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
[361495.329] MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
[361495.329] XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization
disabled due
  lack of shared memory support in the kernel
[361495.344] (EE) AIGLX: No native OpenGL in modes with a root window
[361495.376] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
[361495.376] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
[361495.376] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
[361495.578] winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 640 492
[361495.578] (--) 3 mouse buttons found
[361495.578] (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
[361495.578] (--) Windows keyboard layout: "00000809" (00000809) "United
Kingd
", type 4
[361495.578] (--) Found matching XKB configuration "English (United
Kingdom)"
[361495.578] (--) Model = "pc105" Layout = "gb" Variant = "none" Options
= "no
"
[361495.578] Rules = "base" Model = "pc105" Layout = "gb" Variant =
"none" Opt
ns = "none"
[361495.688] winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:1.0
[361495.688] winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
[361495.688] winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and
successfully open
  the display.
[361495.719] winClipboardIOErrorHandler!
[361495.719] winClipboardProc - setjmp returned for IO Error Handler.
[361496.733] winClipboardProc - trying to restart clipboard thread
[361496.733] winClipboardThreadProc - DISPLAY=:1.0
[361496.733] winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and
successfully open
  the display.
[361531.973] winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionRequest -
GetClipboardData ()
ailed: 00000000
[361531.973] winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionRequest -
GetClipboardData ()
ailed: 00000000
[361531.973] winClipboardFlushXEvents - SelectionRequest -
GetClipboardData ()
ailed: 00000000
XWin.1.log (END)

* Cygwin clipboard flaky on Windows 7
@ 2014-10-31 14:44 ` Chris Stenton
From: Chris Stenton @ 2014-10-31 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Further to below. I find that after a reboot I can cut and paste
bidirectionally  between the  MS 7 and X win worlds for MS word and
notepad but once I start IE 11 then cuting from MS 7 world and pasting
in the X world stops working. Sometimes quitting out of IE 11 allows the
cut and paste to start working again.

Thanks

Chris