* perl -d causes completion to fail
@ 2014-10-14 23:22 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-10-14 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm a big fan of Perl and using Perl's debugger (i.e. perl -d <script>),
however I noticed that Bash completion works if I say
perl <scr... then tab but fails if I say perl -d <scr... The <script>
doesn't complete! (and no I don't mean the actual characters <script>
rather the script filename).

Now I did some Bash completion stuff before so I'm familiar but where
would I find which completion thing causes this to work but only if -d
was not specified?

Specify some other Perl option (i.e. -v) and it WORKS!

To recap: perl -d mysc<tab> does NOT complete to perl -d myscript.pl but
perl -v mysc<tab> does! That's just odd!
--
Andrew DeFaria
http://defaria.com

* Re: perl -d causes completion to fail
@ 2014-10-15 18:47 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2014-10-15 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 04:22:20PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Now I did some Bash completion stuff before so I'm familiar but
> where would I find which completion thing causes this to work but
> only if -d was not specified?
>
> Specify some other Perl option (i.e. -v) and it WORKS!
>
> To recap: perl -d mysc<tab> does NOT complete to perl -d myscript.pl
> but perl -v mysc<tab> does! That's just odd!

This is all provided by the bash-completion package.  You should be able
to download the source code using setup-*.exe as usual, or the specific
script you're after is /etc/bash_completion.d/perl.

The upstream release of bash-completion is v2.1; the official Cygwin
version seems to be based on v1.3, so it could be that this is resolved
in future releases.

* Re: perl -d causes completion to fail
@ 2014-10-15 21:31   ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-10-15 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/15/2014 11:47 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 04:22:20PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> Now I did some Bash completion stuff before so I'm familiar but
>> where would I find which completion thing causes this to work but
>> only if -d was not specified?
>>
>> Specify some other Perl option (i.e. -v) and it WORKS!
>>
>> To recap: perl -d mysc<tab> does NOT complete to perl -d myscript.pl
>> but perl -v mysc<tab> does! That's just odd!
>
> This is all provided by the bash-completion package.  You should be able
> to download the source code using setup-*.exe as usual, or the specific
> script you're after is /etc/bash_completion.d/perl.
>
> The upstream release of bash-completion is v2.1; the official Cygwin
> version seems to be based on v1.3, so it could be that this is resolved
> in future releases.

Hmmm... seems my bash-completion and a few other things are old. Time to
update.... (should have checked this first - sorry).
--

@ 2014-10-15 22:09     ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-10-15 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/15/2014 2:30 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/15/2014 11:47 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 04:22:20PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>>> Now I did some Bash completion stuff before so I'm familiar but
>>> where would I find which completion thing causes this to work but
>>> only if -d was not specified?
>>>
>>> Specify some other Perl option (i.e. -v) and it WORKS!
>>>
>>> To recap: perl -d mysc<tab> does NOT complete to perl -d myscript.pl
>>> but perl -v mysc<tab> does! That's just odd!
>>
>> This is all provided by the bash-completion package.  You should be able
>> to download the source code using setup-*.exe as usual, or the specific
>> script you're after is /etc/bash_completion.d/perl.
>>
>> The upstream release of bash-completion is v2.1; the official Cygwin
>> version seems to be based on v1.3, so it could be that this is resolved
>> in future releases.
>>

> Hmmm... seems my bash-completion and a few other things are old. Time to
> update.... (should have checked this first - sorry).

Adefaria-lt:ls /etc/bash_completion.d/perl
ls: cannot access /etc/bash_completion.d/perl: No such file or directory
Adefaria-lt:ls /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
Adefaria-lt:

I think you mean /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl... I think
the problem is that it's parsing the next token after -d and -dt looking
for :debugger and never things that maybe there's no debugger name (see
perldoc perldebug).

--

@ 2014-10-20 11:23       ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2014-10-20 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 03:08:42PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/15/2014 2:30 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Adefaria-lt:ls /etc/bash_completion.d/perl
> ls: cannot access /etc/bash_completion.d/perl: No such file or directory
> Adefaria-lt:ls /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
> Adefaria-lt:
>
> I think you mean /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl... I
> think the problem is that it's parsing the next token after -d and
> -dt looking for :debugger and never things that maybe there's no
> debugger name (see perldoc perldebug).

Whatever you're using doesn't seem to be the Cygwin bash-completion
package.  Both x86 and x86_64 install /etc/bash_completion.d/perl:

https://cygwin.com/packages/x86/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-1
https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-1

Before we go any further with anything else, I think your next step
should probably be to install the Cygwin bash-completion package and
check what the behaviour is there.

* Re: perl -d causes completion to fail
@ 2014-10-20 17:04         ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-10-20 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/20/2014 4:23 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 03:08:42PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> On 10/15/2014 2:30 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> Adefaria-lt:ls /etc/bash_completion.d/perl
>> ls: cannot access /etc/bash_completion.d/perl: No such file or directory
>> Adefaria-lt:ls /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
>> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
>> Adefaria-lt:
>>
>> I think you mean /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl... I
>> think the problem is that it's parsing the next token after -d and
>> -dt looking for :debugger and never things that maybe there's no
>> debugger name (see perldoc perldebug).
>
> Whatever you're using doesn't seem to be the Cygwin bash-completion
> package.  Both x86 and x86_64 install /etc/bash_completion.d/perl:
>
> https://cygwin.com/packages/x86/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-1
> https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-1
>
> Before we go any further with anything else, I think your next step
> should probably be to install the Cygwin bash-completion package and
> check what the behaviour is there.

I ran setup and I see a "Keep" for 2.1-1 of bash-completion. I believe
that means it's already installed.

Additionally:

$ ls /usr/share/bash_completion.d/perl
ls: cannot access /usr/share/bash_completion.d/perl: No such file or
directory
$ ll /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
-rw-r--r-- 1 adefaria Domain Users 3569 Feb  9  2014
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
$ cygcheck -f /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/perl
bash-completion-2.1-1
$

--

@ 2014-10-20 20:05           ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-10-20 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/20/2014 1:04 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/20/2014 4:23 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> Whatever you're using doesn't seem to be the Cygwin bash-completion
>> package.  Both x86 and x86_64 install /etc/bash_completion.d/perl:
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/packages/x86/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-1
>> https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-1
>>
>> Before we go any further with anything else, I think your next step
>> should probably be to install the Cygwin bash-completion package and
>> check what the behaviour is there.
>
> I ran setup and I see a "Keep" for 2.1-1 of bash-completion. I believe
> that means it's already installed.

It means you installed it from some source (Cygwin Ports maybe?) other
than a Cygwin mirror.  As Adam said, Cygwin provides version 1.3-1.

Ken

* Re: perl -d causes completion to fail
@ 2014-10-20 21:04             ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-10-20 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/20/2014 1:05 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/20/2014 1:04 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> On 10/20/2014 4:23 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>>> Whatever you're using doesn't seem to be the Cygwin bash-completion
>>> package.  Both x86 and x86_64 install /etc/bash_completion.d/perl:
>>>
>>> https://cygwin.com/packages/x86/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-1
>>> https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/bash-completion/bash-completion-1.3-1
>>>
>>> Before we go any further with anything else, I think your next step
>>> should probably be to install the Cygwin bash-completion package and
>>> check what the behaviour is there.
>>
>> I ran setup and I see a "Keep" for 2.1-1 of bash-completion. I believe
>> that means it's already installed.
>
> It means you installed it from some source (Cygwin Ports maybe?) other
> than a Cygwin mirror.  As Adam said, Cygwin provides version 1.3-1.

I've never installed any Cygwin stuff from anything other than
setup.exe. The Cygwin mirror I typically use is
http://mirrors.kernal.org. Oddly enough, looking at it now, I see
Current as 2.1-1 and "new" as 1.3-1. Huh? OK... Installing "new"...

Well now I do have 1.3-1 and I have an /etc/bash_completion.d/perl, but
it behaves the same... :-(
--

@ 2014-10-22 14:50               ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2014-10-22 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 02:04:18PM -0700, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/20/2014 1:05 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> >>I ran setup and I see a "Keep" for 2.1-1 of bash-completion. I believe
> >>that means it's already installed.
> >
> >It means you installed it from some source (Cygwin Ports maybe?) other
> >than a Cygwin mirror.  As Adam said, Cygwin provides version 1.3-1.
>
> I've never installed any Cygwin stuff from anything other than
> setup.exe.  The Cygwin mirror I typically use is
> http://mirrors.kernal.org. Oddly enough, looking at it now, I see
> Current as 2.1-1 and "new" as 1.3-1. Huh? OK... Installing "new"...

Cygwin Ports uses setup-*.exe for installing its packages.  It's also
currently distributing bash-completion 2.1-1, so I strongly suspect that
at some point -- intentionally or not -- you installed the Cygwin Ports
version.

Incidentally, almost everything in this mail trail so far could have
been skipped if you'd included `cygcheck -srv` output in your initial
email, as we'd have been able to tell straight away that you weren't
using the official Cygwin version of bash-completion.

> Well now I do have 1.3-1 and I have an /etc/bash_completion.d/perl,
> but it behaves the same... :-(

The next step I'd suggest is to check if the upstream bash-completion
package has the behaviour you're looking for.

If upstream does have this behaviour, you can (a) install it yourself,
separately from the Cygwin install (but be aware the list won't support
problems you hit unless/until you can identify the Cygwin-distributed
component that's causing the problem), and/or (b) request the Cygwin
bash-completion maintainer upgrade to a more recent version.

If upstream doesn't have this behaviour, I can see a bunch of options:

a) Write a plugin yourself to do it.  The obvious place to put this
   would be ~/.bash_completion, which is automatically included by the
   bash_completion scripts if it exists.  Optionally submit it upstream
   then follow all the previous instructions about getting it included
   in Cygwin.
b) Find the mailing list/equivalent for upstream and ask them to add the
   feature.  See above if they actually do so.
c) Find a third-party plugin that provides this feature.  Install it
   manually or ITP it and have it included in Cygwin properly.
d) Live without it.

* Re: perl -d causes completion to fail
@ 2014-10-22 17:09                 ` Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2014-10-22 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/22/2014 7:50 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

>> I've never installed any Cygwin stuff from anything other than
>> setup.exe.  The Cygwin mirror I typically use is
>> http://mirrors.kernal.org. Oddly enough, looking at it now, I see
>> Current as 2.1-1 and "new" as 1.3-1. Huh? OK... Installing "new"...
>
> Cygwin Ports uses setup-*.exe for installing its packages.  It's also
> currently distributing bash-completion 2.1-1, so I strongly suspect that
> at some point -- intentionally or not -- you installed the Cygwin Ports
> version.

If I did it was totally unintentional especially considering I don't
know what a Cygwin Ports is though I imagine it about porting open
source software to Cygwin and perhaps maybe a site. Are you telling me
that http://mirrors.kernal.org is a "Cygwin Ports" site?

Ah dang! You're right! I recalled that setup asks for a local package
dir and I typically keep a Cygwin folder with all of the stuff I use
downloaded in case anybody else wants to use it locally. I recalled how
it has directories under it with encoded URL names so I decided to check
my "repo" and lo and behold there's a
ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.cygwinports.org%2fpub%2fcygwinports%2f directory there.
I had no idea that this "Ports" URL was different than any other URL in
that list...

OK so is this bad? Should I remove it? How would I "back this out"?

> Incidentally, almost everything in this mail trail so far could have
> been skipped if you'd included `cygcheck -srv` output in your initial
> email, as we'd have been able to tell straight away that you weren't
> using the official Cygwin version of bash-completion.
>
>> Well now I do have 1.3-1 and I have an /etc/bash_completion.d/perl,
>> but it behaves the same... :-(
>
> The next step I'd suggest is to check if the upstream bash-completion
> package has the behaviour you're looking for.
>
> If upstream does have this behaviour, you can (a) install it yourself,
> separately from the Cygwin install (but be aware the list won't support
> problems you hit unless/until you can identify the Cygwin-distributed
> component that's causing the problem), and/or (b) request the Cygwin
> bash-completion maintainer upgrade to a more recent version.
>
> If upstream doesn't have this behaviour, I can see a bunch of options:
>
> a) Write a plugin yourself to do it.  The obvious place to put this
>     would be ~/.bash_completion, which is automatically included by the
>     bash_completion scripts if it exists.  Optionally submit it upstream
>     then follow all the previous instructions about getting it included
>     in Cygwin.

Wow! I didn't know that bash_completion sourced ~/.bash_completion.
That's good to know as I have written my own bash_completions - an
extensive set that covers just about all of the Clearcase commands
complete with smarts to complete Clearcase objects like labels, branch
names, etc. Contact me if you want a copy.

> b) Find the mailing list/equivalent for upstream and ask them to add the
>     feature.  See above if they actually do so.
> c) Find a third-party plugin that provides this feature.  Install it
>     manually or ITP it and have it included in Cygwin properly.
> d) Live without it.

Quite honestly option D is the best choice for me at this moment as this
is the only thing that doesn't complete for me and I'm about to be
hammered at work and too busy to follow up on this. Maybe later.

Damn good response though! Thanks.
--

@ 2014-10-22 17:09                 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2014-10-22 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/22/2014 08:50 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:

> If upstream does have this behaviour, you can (a) install it yourself,
> separately from the Cygwin install (but be aware the list won't support
> problems you hit unless/until you can identify the Cygwin-distributed
> component that's causing the problem), and/or (b) request the Cygwin
> bash-completion maintainer upgrade to a more recent version.

At any rate, the bash-completion maintainer (me) is already aware that I
am overdue on packaging the latest upstream release, so it should be
hitting cygwin.com as my next package build, hopefully within the next
week...

* Re: perl -d causes completion to fail
@ 2014-10-22 17:32                   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-10-22 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/22/2014 1:09 PM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 7:50 AM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> Cygwin Ports uses setup-*.exe for installing its packages.  It's also
>> currently distributing bash-completion 2.1-1, so I strongly suspect that
>> at some point -- intentionally or not -- you installed the Cygwin Ports
>> version.
>
> If I did it was totally unintentional especially considering I don't
> know what a Cygwin Ports is though I imagine it about porting open
> source software to Cygwin and perhaps maybe a site. Are you telling me
> that http://mirrors.kernal.org is a "Cygwin Ports" site?

No.  This is what Cygwin Ports is:

   https://sourceware.org/cygwinports/

> Ah dang! You're right! I recalled that setup asks for a local package
> dir and I typically keep a Cygwin folder with all of the stuff I use
> downloaded in case anybody else wants to use it locally. I recalled how
> it has directories under it with encoded URL names so I decided to check
> my "repo" and lo and behold there's a
> ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.cygwinports.org%2fpub%2fcygwinports%2f directory there.
> I had no idea that this "Ports" URL was different than any other URL in
> that list...
>
> OK so is this bad? Should I remove it? How would I "back this out"?

Just remove it.

Ken