* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: texinfo-5.2-3
@ 2014-11-02 13:30 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-11-02 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown wrote:
> ...but the command 'makeinfo --pdf' won't work unless you install texinfo-tex

Before the splitting I had installed the texinfo package and it did not
require any TeXLive packages.

Now If I try to install also texinfo-tex package, setup wants to install
also texlive packages which I don't need. Indeed I already have TexLive
installed as monolithic distribution from TeXLive site.

It looks as if we have exchanged Perl with TeXLive...

Ciao,
  Angelo.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: texinfo-5.2-3
@ 2014-11-02 15:19 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-11-02 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 11/2/2014 8:30 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Ken Brown wrote:
>> ...but the command 'makeinfo --pdf' won't work unless you install texinfo-tex
>
> Before the splitting I had installed the texinfo package and it did not require
> any TeXLive packages.

That was because I had decided not to require texlive, since so much of the
functionality of texinfo was usable without it.  But it was still the case with
the old packaging that 'makeinfo --pdf' wouldn't work without a TeX installation.

> Now If I try to install also texinfo-tex package, setup wants to install also
> texlive packages which I don't need.

The whole point of texinfo-tex is that it contains those programs from the old
texinfo package that are useless without TeX.  So naturally texinfo-tex requires
texlive.

> Indeed I already have TexLive installed as
> monolithic distribution from TeXLive site.

That's a completely different issue, not really related to texinfo.  If there
are Cygwin packages that require TeX in order to function, I think maintainers
have to make them depend on texlive.  Users who choose to install TeX from
another source will find this annoying, but I don't see what I can do about
that.  Some Linux distros have mechanisms for dealing with this situation; I
don't remember the details, but somehow it's possible to declare that you have
installed something equivalent to a given package.  But Cygwin's setup doesn't
provide this feature.

> It looks as if we have exchanged Perl with TeXLive...

Not really.  The issue with Perl was that it was included in a *default* Cygwin
installation.

Ken

* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: texinfo-5.2-3
@ 2014-11-01 19:16 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2014-11-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:

* texinfo-5.2-3

And the following packages have been added:

* info-5.2-3
* texinfo-tex-5.2-3

Texinfo is a documentation system that uses a single source file to produce
output in a number of formats, both online and printed (dvi, html, info, pdf,
xml, etc.).

This is a re-packaging of texinfo-5.2-2, which is now split into the three
packages listed above as suggested in

The info package contains the standalone info viewer as well as the install-info
program.  The texinfo package contains everything else from the old texinfo
package except support for the printable output formats (such as pdf).  The
texinfo-tex package supplies the latter.  In particular, /usr/bin/makeinfo is in
the texinfo package, but the command 'makeinfo --pdf' won't work unless you
install texinfo-tex.

Ken Brown
Cygwin's texinfo maintainer