* Problem with accents
@ 2014-11-09 10:43 Wafer CCC
From: Wafer CCC @ 2014-11-09 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I'm french and i use cygwin on Windows 7, and I have a problem with accents.
When i tape :
  net start
Accents are not correctly displayed.

Thanks for your answe

* Re: Problem with accents
@ 2014-11-09 13:39 ` Doug Henderson
From: Doug Henderson @ 2014-11-09 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9 November 2014 03:43, Wafer CCC wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm french and i use cygwin on Windows 7, and I have a problem with accents.
> When i tape :
>   net start
> Accents are not correctly displayed.

If you are running cygwin in the default mintty console, check the
setting of the locale and character set in the mintty settings. On the
settings text page, set the Character set to UTF-8 (it may display as
UTF-8 (Unicode) in the drop-down. Also set the Locale to the right
language and region. You will have at least C in the drop-down, plus
any others from your windows regional configuration.

In the shell you should have the LANG variable set to the same values.
"echo $LANG" should display something like fr_FR.UTF-8 which will
correspond to the settings in mintty.

If you run cygwin in a command window, or another console, you may
have to set the LANG variable in your .bash_profile or .bashrc in your
home directory using "export LANG=en_FR.UTF-8", as well as configure
that console program.

As a test, you create a small text file with Notepad with some
accented characters, they should display correctly when you "cat" the
file from cygwin.

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

* Re: Problem with accents
@ 2014-11-09 17:56   ` Tony Kelman
From: Tony Kelman @ 2014-11-09 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> If you are running cygwin in the default mintty console, check the
> setting of the locale and character set in the mintty settings. On the
> settings text page, set the Character set to UTF-8 (it may display as
> UTF-8 (Unicode) in the drop-down. Also set the Locale to the right
> language and region. You will have at least C in the drop-down, plus
> any others from your windows regional configuration.

You may also want/need to change the display font in mintty. I've found
DejaVu Sans Mono has better Unicode support than the default font.

-Tony

* Re: Problem with accents
@ 2014-11-09 22:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-11-09 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wafer CCC, cygwin

Greetings, Wafer CCC!

> I'm french and i use cygwin on Windows 7, and I have a problem with accents.
> When i tape :
>   net start
> Accents are not correctly displayed.

How is this related to Cygwin, pretty please?

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Problem with accents
@ 2014-11-10 19:25   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2014-11-10 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tony wrote:
>> You may also want/need to change the display font in mintty. I've
>> found DejaVu Sans Mono has better Unicode support than the default font.
This problem is neither related to locale settings, nor to character set
or font settings of mintty.
Note that 'net' is not a cygwin program but a Windows program.
As such, it has its very own idea of how to configure output character
encoding which is unrelated to cygwin locale settings.
You can try to issue 'chcp.com 65001' in the Cygwin terminal. This helps
for *some* Windows programs but not for many. I'm not sure right now
whether 'net' belongs to them.
------
Thomas