* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2014-12-31 22:32 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-12-31 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall wrote:
> This sounds contradictory to what you're asking above.

No, it is as modern package managers work. Also 'port' in MacPorts has
similar options (they call these packages 'requested'). For example, on
OSX I have installed only 21 (chosen by me, i.e. *requested*), but the
total number of package installed (as a result of dependencies) is 254.
In principle reinstalling the 21 packages should reinstall all the 254
but sometimes the dependencies change. Having a less package to
reinstall makes simpler to follow the process of
installation/re-installation.

I think Cygwin has this (maybe I read this on the list) but I don't
remember, exactly, the command.. :-(

In any case, Happy New Year.

Ciao,
  Angelo.

* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2014-12-31 23:42 ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-12-31 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2014-12-31 16:32, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Larry Hall wrote:
>> This sounds contradictory to what you're asking above.
>
> No, it is as modern package managers work. Also 'port' in MacPorts has
> similar options (they call these packages 'requested'). For example, on
> OSX I have installed only 21 (chosen by me, i.e. *requested*), but the
> total number of package installed (as a result of dependencies) is 254.
> In principle reinstalling the 21 packages should reinstall all the 254
> but sometimes the dependencies change. Having a less package to
> reinstall makes simpler to follow the process of
> installation/re-installation.
>
> I think Cygwin has this (maybe I read this on the list) but I don't
> remember, exactly, the command.. :-(

Once installed, Cygwin does not distinguish between packages that were
chosen for installation and those that were installed as dependencies.

Yaakov

* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2015-01-01  4:46   ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2015-01-01  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> Once installed, Cygwin does not distinguish between packages that were
> chosen for installation and those that were installed as dependencies.

This is a shame. As Warren said, this makes it impossible for something like
"apt-get autoremove" to exist on Cygwin. I have request for this already

http://github.com/transcode-open/apt-cyg/issues/26

I am going to implement it, but it will only work for packages installed with
the script, not with setup.exe.

* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2015-01-01 16:05     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-01-01 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Penny, cygwin

Greetings, Steven Penny!

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2015-01-01 22:25       ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2015-01-01 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2015-01-01 23:36         ` Vince Rice
From: Vince Rice @ 2015-01-01 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is the fourth or fifth time you have persisted in this rudeness, even after Yaakov called you down for it the first time and told you it would not be tolerated here.
I’m calling attention to it so he and Corinna will see it for what it is, not just a benign link.

@ 2015-01-02  7:58           ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2015-01-02  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Vince Rice wrote:
> This is the fourth or fifth time you have persisted in this rudeness, even
> after Yaakov called you down for it the first time and told you it would not
> be tolerated here.

It is not rude. I have made it very clear to Andrey and everyone that his posts
on my threads are not welcome.

If you can find a single time that he has replied contructively to one of my
posts, then perhaps I will reconsider my actions. This includes his reply you
quoted. (hint: it’s not)

* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2015-01-02  8:13             ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-01-02  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2015-01-02 01:58, Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Vince Rice wrote:
>> This is the fourth or fifth time you have persisted in this rudeness, even
>> after Yaakov called you down for it the first time and told you it would not
>> be tolerated here.
>
> It is not rude. I have made it very clear to Andrey and everyone that his posts
> on my threads are not welcome.

And *I* made it clear that you don't get to decide who says what around
here[1].  You said you were going to abide by this[2], and your further
participation here is dependent on your doing so.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-08/msg00183.html
[2] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-08/msg00184.html

--
Yaakov

* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2015-01-02  8:45             ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2015-01-02  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/01/15 07:58, Steven Penny wrote:
> If you can find a single time that he has replied contructively to one of my
> posts, then perhaps I will reconsider my actions.

I wasn't aware that 'apt-cyg' was supported or encouraged on this list
as a package management tool. If you're looking to add this
functionality for the benefit of the wider Cygwin community then your
time would be better spent adding the desired features to 'setup' and
'cygcheck'.

To that end, Andrey was correct, constructive and concise -
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

Dave.

* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2014-12-31 20:53   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2014-12-31 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Dec 31, 2014, at 11:22 AM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 12/31/2014 05:11 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>> pacman -Qqe > pkglist
>
> This sounds contradictory to what you're asking above.  If you want to
> re-install all the packages, you need the dependencies too to make a
> useful (re)install.

pacman -e lists only packages explicitly installed, leaving out packages automatically installed to satisfy dependencies.

Basically, it gives you a much shorter list than if you simply list all installed packages, without changing the result if you ask the package manager on a different, freshly-installed box to install “just” those on the shorter list.

DPKG-based OSes must maintain a similar list, because they are able to detect when an automatically-installed package is no longer needed as a result of removing the last explicitly-installed package that depended on it.  (apt-get autoremove).

* Re: A list of installed packages (no dependencies)
@ 2014-12-31 18:22 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2014-12-31 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/31/2014 05:11 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Is there in Cygwin a command to recover a list of installed packages chosen
> by the user without the dependencies?
>
> For example, the archlinux package manager with
>
> pacman -Qqe > pkglist
>
> can save the list of package chosen by the user only and this is useful in
> case one wants/needs to reinstall all the packages.

This sounds contradictory to what you're asking above.  If you want to
re-install all the packages, you need the dependencies too to make a
useful (re)install.  To get the list of packages that are currently
installed, use 'cygcheck -cd'.

--
Larry

A: Yes.

@ 2014-12-31 10:11 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2014-12-31 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Is there in Cygwin a command to recover a list of installed packages
chosen by the user without the dependencies?

For example, the archlinux package manager with

pacman -Qqe > pkglist

can save the list of package chosen by the user only and this is useful
in case one wants/needs to reinstall all the packages.

Happy New year!

Ciao,
  Angelo.