From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Applications no longer launching from xdg
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:40:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 20/07/2015 06:06, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> I installed Windows 10 over the weekend ("RTM" release 10240, 64-bit,
> Pro).  Cygwin, X server and XDG were working fine until sometime
> Sunday afternoon.  Suddenly, I could not launch xterms, but still
> could from the old Xwin icon in the system notification area.  Nothing
> works from XDG (other than exit), not even viewing the logfile.  I
> have no idea what could have caused this.  Any ideas?
>
> I even tried uninstalling xinit and two xdg modules, then
> re-installing them, but that didn't work.  In fact, I lost the
> Cygwin-X menu in the Start folder, so now I can't even start the X
> server from there.

I assume you are talking about the xdg-menu here.

I've done some testing on the Windows 10 TP x86_64, but I can't
reproduce this problem.

If you can reproduce this problem, you could always examine the
~/.xsession-errors file directly.

On 20/07/2015 06:07, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> One somewhat unrelated thing I'd like to add:  Once the 'X' icon
> appears, it takes another good 20 seconds or so for the xdg menu icon
> to appear.  I have no idea what's causing that.

This is unfortunately normal.  A lot of work needs to take place to
construct the menu, tracking down the .menu and .desktop files,
interpreting their contents and locating icons.

Of course, if someone wants to do some profiling and optimizing, that
would be great :D

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer