On 10/27/2015 09:10 AM, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote: > Eric, > > On Monday, 2015-10-26 10:14:06 -0600, you wrote: > >> ... >> So once >> you start a dash shell, that dash shell can start any number of other >> dash shells with no command line length limit other than the memory >> available to your machine. > > Assume I terminate Cygserver and any other Cygwin services running, I > then start "ash.exe" by double clicking it in a Windows Explorer window, > from the command line in the "ash.exe" window I start my Ash Shell > script which in turn starts "setup-x86*.exe" with a very long command > line. Sadly, setup-x86*.exe is a native Windows process, not a cygwin process (and MUST be, since you can run setup prior to having cygwin installed). So it is unfortunately stuck at the Windows limitations on max command-line+environment sizing. Of course, patches are welcome, if someone would like to propose a way to make setup-x86.exe read its package list from a file name given on the command line, rather than having to pass every package name on the command line. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org