On 18. 11. 2015 18:55, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > On Nov 17 23:28, David Macek wrote: >> Hi. >> >> I went through the UG looking for differences between regular Cygwin >> symlinks and NTFS symlinks, but couldn't find this documented. It >> seems that when using winsymlinks:native, the target path is first >> dereferenced before storing it in the link. > > It's a result of the native symlink being a Windows path. The > ultimate conversion from POSIX to Windows path dereferences all > symlinks. Should that behaviour stay? If not, I can send a patch for the UG. >> That doesn't happed when >> using regular symlink files. Is this behaviour intentional / known? >> >> If it matters, the use case is `ln -sf /proc/self/fd /dev/fd`. > > It matters. This is a bug in Cygwin, a missing test in fact. It should > never allow to create native symlinks to targets which only exist inside > of Cygwin. Consider that /proc/self/fd has no meaning to non-Cygwin > processes at all. Creating this symlink as native symlink doesn't make > any sense, they should always be generated as Cygwin-only symlinks. > > Thanks for the report, I'll apply a matching patch. Cool. -- David Macek