* No support for ACLs on network shares?
@ 2015-11-23 10:08 Matt D.
From: Matt D. @ 2015-11-23 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I noticed today that when accessing a network share, the permissions for
the current user are not resolving.

For example, I'm connected to a network share //server/share which is a
CentOS share with a unix login/password. The share is already logged in
by Windows and on the keychain so I don't have to enter the login
information.

In Cygwin, 'cd //server/share' then 'ls -l' I get this:

drwxrwx---  1 Unknown+User Unix_Group+1001          0 Nov 23  2015 test

I'm already logged in through windows as the 'Unknown+User' but Cygwin
does not recognize that I have access to any of the ACLs for the owner
or groups and also does not resolve the SID name.

The problem with this is that files created or modified are only done so
in the 'Everyone' permission and inherited permissions such as the
execute bit are not recognized.

My use-case is where I've mapped a network path to either a network
drive or a symlinked folder (with Windows mklink) with the path on the
environment's PATH. In this case, files which are executable are not
recognized and do not appear when calling 'which'.

It seems as though Cygwin only maps ACLs to the SIDs stored in passwd
and group and cannot handle ACLs when accessing network devices where
SIDs are not present in these files. Running passwd/mkgroup after the
share is on the keychain does not provide additional SIDs.

Is there no support for ACLs across network shares at all?

Matt D.