From: Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: 'list-packages function in Emacs 24.5.2 causes core dump
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 20:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 12/4/2015 6:37 AM, Matthew Eichler wrote:
> Thanks Ken.
>
> Running emacs with the -Q switch has shown me that this is an ELisp
> problem with my init.el.  This is a problem on Cygwin but not on
> ArchLinux (I synchronize this file accross all my Unix instances
> including VM's).
>
> The problem is this section, where, if I comment out adding the
> Marmalade repository to the package manger, then 'list-packages works
> oké, but of course, then I do not access all the repositories I want
> when I use the packaging system:
>
> (require 'package)
> (add-to-list 'package-archives
>              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/") t)
> ;; (add-to-list 'package-archives
> ;;            '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/") t)
> (package-initialize)
>
> (defvar my-packages '(icicles
>                        clojure-mode
>                        cider
>                        magit
>                        rubocop
>                        rspec-mode
>                        el-spec
>                        feature-mode
>                        graphene
>                        color-theme
>                        password-generator
>       dockerfile-mode))
>
> (dolist (p my-packages)
>    (when (not (package-installed-p p))
>      (package-install p)))
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f4>") 'list-packages)

Sorry, I still can't reproduce the problem.  I created a .emacs file
just containing the code you posted:

$ cat .emacs
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/") t)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
              '("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/") t)
(package-initialize)
(defvar my-packages
   '(icicles
     clojure-mode
     cider
     magit
     rubocop
     rspec-mode
     el-spec
     feature-mode
     graphene
     color-theme
     password-generator
     dockerfile-mode))
(dolist (p my-packages)
   (when (not (package-installed-p p))
     (package-install p)))

I then started emacs and ran 'M-x list-packages' without a problem.

Are you sure there's nothing else in your various initialization files
that could be interfering with this?  Don't forget about default.el,
site-start.el, and .Xresources.  ('emacs -Q' excludes all of these.)

> I'm attaching the cygcheck.out file per instructions.

Thanks.  Nothing in it jumps out at me as problematic.

Ken