On 12/17/2015 02:16 PM, Eric Blake wrote: > On 12/17/2015 02:01 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote: > >>> Here's what happens: >>> >>> One of the Gnulib modules includes sys/types.h, which includes sys/select.h >>> because of the recent changes. This brings in Gnulib's sys/select.h, which >>> includes signal.h. We then get the errors I posted because we haven't yet >>> finished including sys/types.h. > > Gnulib has been taught to work around early inclusion problems before; > sounds like this will be another case where gnulib has to make sure the > system header is complete before its own replacements kick in. > >>> >>> All the build errors disappear if I remove '#include ' from >>> sys/types.h. You said above that the macros related to select don't really >>> belong in sys/types.h. So why does the latter include sys/select.h? Another data point: POSIX does NOT allow to pollute the namespace with symbols from . True, the use of __BSD_VISIBLE says that POSIX is not in play, but I'm suspecting that very few programs are written that use sys/select.h functionality but were relying on the BSD headers to indirectly include it via sys/types.h, since such programs would fail to compile on other systems where the indirect include is not present (more likely, any clients of sys/select.h are directly including it). So at this point, I'm leaning towards fixing the cygwin header to not include sys/select.h from sys/types.h. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org