On 2016-02-14 21:24, Gary Johnson wrote: > On 2016-02-14, James Darnley wrote: >> To the maintainer, Yaakov, or anyone else who knows: >> >> Have the compilation options of Vim changed recently? Is there some >> other recent change that would cause the behaviour described below? >> >> Vim now appears to be remembering the last position of the cursor when >> you open files. I notice it most when running 'git commit', the cursor >> never starts on the first line but would appear to be where ever I ended >> the previous message. >> >> I find this jolly annoying. >> >> I would appreciate any insights people can offer. > > Recent releases of the Cygwin Vim package (starting with 7.4.1179-1, > 2016-01-29) have included Red Hat's or Fedora's /etc/vimrc, which is > loaded first when starting Vim. That file contains a BufReadPost > autocommand to do what you observe. > > I don't like it, either, so I have this in my ~/.vimrc: > > " Remove the (annoying) /etc/vimrc autocommand that positions > " the cursor " to the location it last had when the file was > " closed. > " > if exists("#fedora#BufRead#*") > au! fedora BufRead * > endif > if exists("#redhat#BufRead#*") > au! redhat BufRead * > endif > > For Cygwin, you need only one of those, but I'm at home, my Cygwin > installation is at work, and I don't remember whether Cygwin uses > the Fedora or the Red Hat version of /etc/vimrc. > > You may want to take a look at /etc/vimrc and see if it makes any > other settings you find undesirable and undo them in your ~/.vimrc > as well. > > Regards, > Gary Thank you very much. For everyone's information: /etc/vimrc appears to group things under "fedora". P.S. Sorry about the double mail Gary.