* How to profile DLL built by Cygwin
@ 2016-03-30 12:59 John Smith
From: John Smith @ 2016-03-30 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

First, I hope that I am using the "mailing list" system correctly...
if not, bear with me

I have an executable using a DLL. The DLL is built using -g -pg.
Running the executable, however, does not produce a gmon.out. file.
Cygwin version is 1.7.33. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A.

* Re: How to profile DLL built by Cygwin
@ 2016-03-30 16:54 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-03-30 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 30/03/2016 14:58, John Smith wrote:
> First, I hope that I am using the "mailing list" system correctly...
> if not, bear with me

Hi John,
it is the  right place.

> I have an executable using a DLL. The DLL is built using -g -pg.
> Running the executable, however, does not produce a gmon.out. file.
> Cygwin version is 1.7.33. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> A.

I had the impression you need to have also the executable built
using -g -pg.

I could be wrong.

Regards
Marco

* Re: How to profile DLL built by Cygwin
@ 2016-03-30 20:16 ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2016-03-30 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

John Smith wrote:
> I have an executable using a DLL. The DLL is built using -g -pg.
> Running the executable, however, does not produce a gmon.out. file.
> Cygwin version is 1.7.33. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cygwin's profiling facility currently only supports one address range: the
address range of the executable's .text segment.  DLLs live in other address ranges.

Currently the only way to profile DLL code on Cygwin is to temporarily make the
DLL a static library, e.g. libfoo.a, and link it into the executable's build.
HTH,

..mark