On 2017-10-31 16:10, Jérôme Bouat wrote: > I noticed that the python3 package depends on the libintl-devel package. Only indirectly. > Why python3 depends on a development package ? ctypes.util.find_library()[1] uses dlltool from binutils to derive the name of the DLL from the given import library name. This might sound odd, but on ELF platforms gcc is also a requirement, as a small program is compiled and linked just in order to figure out the SONAME of a given library name. The binutils package includes both the programs and the (static) libbfd, libiberty, and libopcodes libraries; it is for those that libintl-devel is a dependency of binutils. Perhaps we could consider splitting out these libraries and their headers into a separate package (libbfd-devel?) to avoid this. [1] https://docs.python.org/3.6/library/ctypes.html#finding-shared-libraries -- Yaakov