* Re: Postinstall script errors
       [not found] <58C73DA23112384988EEB999F2EC04DC1E78D328@ATLEISEXCMBX1.eis.equifax.com>
@ 2016-04-11 18:51 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2016-04-11 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/11/2016 11:49 AM, Kenneth Lobb wrote:
> Getting setup-x86_64.exe postinstall script errors, starting with
> /etc/postinstall/ca-certificates.sh.
>
> Script just hangs.

Is this the only postinstall script that gives you problems?  What
happens if you rename it to ca-certificates.sh.done so that setup won't
keep trying to run it.  Do the remaining scripts run OK?  If not, please
take a look at /var/log/setup.log.full to see if you can tell why
they're failing.

> Tried running ca-certificates.sh  manually, and the script just hangs.
>
> If I run individual commands, they complete normally whereas in the
> script they hang (don’t return control to the calling script).

Very strange.

Please follow the problem-reporting guidelines at
http://cygwin.com/problems.html, including the part about attaching
cygcheck output:

"Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file *as an
attachment* in your report. Please do not compress or otherwise encode
the output. Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be
easily viewed."

Ken

* Re: Postinstall script errors
@ 2010-08-20 19:32       ` Tilman Hausherr
From: Tilman Hausherr @ 2010-08-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

It works now, I was able to install gcc 4.3.4.

Thanks!

Tilman

@ 2010-08-13  9:48     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-08-13  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2010-08-12 17:56   ` Tilman Hausherr
From: Tilman Hausherr @ 2010-08-12 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2010-08-12 16:02                 ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2010-08-12 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 12.08.2010 17:15, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Aug 12 17:04, Matthias Andree wrote:

>> > No, I didn't.
>>
>> Sorry to be so unrelenting, but you are still missing the point.
>
> No, I didn't.  Think about it.  And whatever I missed or not missed,
> can we please stop a moot discussion?

I thought about it and reviewed the messages, my opinion still stands, but I
agree to quit a discussion that isn't proceeding to anywhere.

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: Postinstall script errors
@ 2010-08-12 15:15               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-08-12 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2010-08-12 15:04             ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2010-08-12 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 12.08.2010 16:54, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Aug 12 16:52, Matthias Andree wrote:

>> > I misinterpreted the `chgrp --silent'.  I thought it would result
>> > in an exit code of 0 from chgrp, but it just suppresses the error
>> > messages.  Sorry about that.
>>
>> And you're missing the other point that I've just explained on cygwin-apps@, see
>> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2010-08/msg00116.html
>
> No, I didn't.

Sorry to be so unrelenting, but you are still missing the point. Please re-read
Jeremy's analysis at <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2010-08/msg00285.html>.

NOTE: *chgrp was not ever run* in the failing scenario, so whatever you pass as
chgrp arguments, --silent or not, is irrelevant.  What actually happened was:

created_group=no
[ "$created_group" = "yes"  ] &&  # remainder short-circuited, failure stands

And since this  [  ] && line was the last in the script, the failure from the
"[" (= test) command propagated through to the caller and finally through
setup.exe which duly reported it.

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: Postinstall script errors
@ 2010-08-12 14:54           ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-08-12 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2010-08-12 14:52         ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2010-08-12 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 12.08.2010 16:40, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Aug 12 16:10, Matthias Andree wrote:
>> Am 12.08.2010 15:37, schrieb Jeremy Ramer:
>> > I verified that $created_passwd and $created_group were both no so
>> > both conditionals will fail. But because the last conditional is the
>> > last thing run, the script returns 1.  Adding an exit 0 to the script
>> > fixes it, but I'm not sure if that accomplishes what you want from the
>> > script.
>>
>> PLEASE DON'T.
>>
>> Adding an "exit 0" will mask the error and just reinstate the former state of
>> silently failing postinstall scripts more rigidly. This is not desirable. The
>> proper way to fix this is:
>>
>> set -e  # this is providing that the whole script is written properly.
>>         # it causes immediate exit after one command (outside if, and
>>         # outside || or && lists) fails - usually desirable, but takes more
>>         # work because you can't write the scripts as sloppily as the
>>         # snippet you've just shown from passwd-grp.sh.
>> #
>> # ...other work...
>> #
>> if [ "$created_passwd" = "yes" ] ; then
>> 	/bin/chgrp --silent root /etc/passwd
>> fi
>>
>> if [ "$created_group" = "yes"  ] ; then
>> 	/bin/chgrp --silent root /etc/group
>> fi
>
> I misinterpreted the `chgrp --silent'.  I thought it would result
> in an exit code of 0 from chgrp, but it just suppresses the error
> messages.  Sorry about that.

And you're missing the other point that I've just explained on cygwin-apps@, see
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2010-08/msg00116.html

"[ $blah = foo ] && ..."   is usually suspicious and often triggers bogus
failures or premature exit, depends on if running under set +e (default) or set
-e (advised).

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: Postinstall script errors
@ 2010-08-12 14:41       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-08-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2010-08-12 14:10     ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2010-08-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jeremy Ramer

@ 2010-08-12 14:05     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-08-12 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug 12 07:37, Jeremy Ramer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Corinna Vinschen
> <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 11 09:18, Jeremy Ramer wrote:
> >> I recently upgraded from cygwin 1.5 to 1.7. At the end of the install
> >> there were errors with some of the postinstall scripts.  From the
> >> setup.full.log:
> >>
> >> 2010/08/11 08:39:53 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
> >> /etc/postinstall/bash.sh
> >> ln: creating symbolic link `/dev/stdin': File exists
> >> 2010/08/11 08:39:54 abnormal exit: exit code=1
> >> 2010/08/11 08:39:54 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
> >> /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh
> >> 2010/08/11 08:39:55 abnormal exit: exit code=1
> >>

> >> I tried manually running the scripts with mixed results
> >>
> >> $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/bash.sh ; echo $?
> >> 0
> >>
> >> $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh ; echo $?
> >> 1
> >>
> >> I tired manually running the commands inside passwd-grp.sh and they
> >> all return 0. So I'm not sure what exactly is failing.  Is there
> >> anything I should do to investigate?
> >
> > That's probably a fault in the postinstall scripts.  It would be nice if
> > you could provide more details about what fails exactly in the script,
> > or better, what in the script has a non-0 exit code.  That would help us
> > lazy maintainers to fix the scripts faster.
>
> The issue with the passwd-grp.sh script seems to be the last two lines.
>
> [ "$created_passwd" = "yes" ] && /bin/chgrp --silent root /etc/passwd
> [ "$created_group" = "yes"  ] && /bin/chgrp --silent root /etc/group
>
> I verified that $created_passwd and $created_group were both no so
> both conditionals will fail. But because the last conditional is the
> last thing run, the script returns 1.  Adding an exit 0 to the script
> fixes it, but I'm not sure if that accomplishes what you want from the
> script.

Thanks, I think it will.

John, that's your script.  Would you mind to update it?

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Postinstall script errors
@ 2010-08-12 13:38   ` Jeremy Ramer
From: Jeremy Ramer @ 2010-08-12 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Corinna Vinschen
<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11 09:18, Jeremy Ramer wrote:
>> I recently upgraded from cygwin 1.5 to 1.7. At the end of the install
>> there were errors with some of the postinstall scripts.  From the
>> setup.full.log:
>>
>> 2010/08/11 08:39:53 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
>> /etc/postinstall/bash.sh
>> ln: creating symbolic link `/dev/stdin': File exists
>> 2010/08/11 08:39:54 abnormal exit: exit code=1
>> 2010/08/11 08:39:54 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
>> /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh
>> 2010/08/11 08:39:55 abnormal exit: exit code=1
>>

>> I tried manually running the scripts with mixed results
>>
>> $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/bash.sh ; echo $?
>> 0
>>
>> $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh ; echo $?
>> 1
>>
>> I tired manually running the commands inside passwd-grp.sh and they
>> all return 0. So I'm not sure what exactly is failing.  Is there
>> anything I should do to investigate?
>
> That's probably a fault in the postinstall scripts.  It would be nice if
> you could provide more details about what fails exactly in the script,
> or better, what in the script has a non-0 exit code.  That would help us
> lazy maintainers to fix the scripts faster.

The issue with the passwd-grp.sh script seems to be the last two lines.

[ "$created_passwd" = "yes" ] && /bin/chgrp --silent root /etc/passwd
[ "$created_group" = "yes"  ] && /bin/chgrp --silent root /etc/group

I verified that $created_passwd and $created_group were both no so
both conditionals will fail. But because the last conditional is the
last thing run, the script returns 1.  Adding an exit 0 to the script
fixes it, but I'm not sure if that accomplishes what you want from the
script.

Jeremy

* Re: Postinstall script errors
@ 2010-08-12  9:59 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-08-12  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Aug 11 09:18, Jeremy Ramer wrote:
> I recently upgraded from cygwin 1.5 to 1.7. At the end of the install
> there were errors with some of the postinstall scripts.  From the
> setup.full.log:
>
> 2010/08/11 08:39:53 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
> /etc/postinstall/bash.sh
> ln: creating symbolic link `/dev/stdin': File exists
> 2010/08/11 08:39:54 abnormal exit: exit code=1
> 2010/08/11 08:39:54 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
> /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh
> 2010/08/11 08:39:55 abnormal exit: exit code=1
>

> I tried manually running the scripts with mixed results
>
> $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/bash.sh ; echo $?
> 0
>
> $ bash --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh ; echo $?
> 1
>
> I tired manually running the commands inside passwd-grp.sh and they
> all return 0. So I'm not sure what exactly is failing.  Is there
> anything I should do to investigate?

That's probably a fault in the postinstall scripts.  It would be nice if
you could provide more details about what fails exactly in the script,
or better, what in the script has a non-0 exit code.  That would help us
lazy maintainers to fix the scripts faster.

Keep in mind that the dialog providing info about failing postinstall
scripts is very new.  I'm quite sure that we have a couple of scripts
which return with a non-0 exit code but the maintainers just don't know
it yet, and I don't take myself out of the picture.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Postinstall script errors
@ 2010-08-11 15:18 Jeremy Ramer