From: Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: strxfrm() returns an incorrect value on a short buffer
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 08:35:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 12/04/2016 07:07, Tony Cook wrote:
> strxfrm() returns an incorrect value if you supply an output buffer
> and that buffer is too short for the result.
>
> With the code following:
>
> #include <string.h>
> #include <locale.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main() {
>    char xbuf[5] = "";
>    char *lc = setlocale(LC_ALL, "en_AU.utf8");
>    if (!lc) {
>      perror("setlocale");
>      return 1;
>    }
>    size_t sza = strxfrm(xbuf, "alphabet", sizeof(xbuf));
>    printf("sz: %zd\n", sza);
>    size_t szb = strxfrm(NULL, "alphabet", 0);
>    printf("sz: %zd\n", szb);
>
>    return 0;
> }
>
> On cygwin:
>
> tony@phobos ~
> $ gcc -ostrxfrmtest strxfrmtest.c
>
> tony@phobos ~
> $ ./strxfrmtest
> sz: 5
> sz: 20
>
> tony@phobos ~
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW phobos 2.5.0(0.297/5/3) 2016-04-11 09:55 i686 Cygwin
>
> On Linux:
>
> tony@mars:~$ gcc -ostrxfrmtest strxfrmtest.c
> tony@mars:~$ ./strxfrmtest
> sz: 26
> sz: 26
> tony@mars:~$ uname -a
> Linux mars 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u3 (2016-01-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>  From looking at the source:
>
> https://cygwin.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=winsup/cygwin/nlsfuncs.cc;h=9dbd9b16d53094c60aa835756c967c054ced8e62;hb=HEAD#l1286
>
> It appears that strxfrm() is just returning the size of the output
> buffer on an overflow error rather than calling LCMapString() again
> with cchDest set to zero to get the required buffer length that
> strxfrm() is meant to return on a short buffer.
>
> This came out of the discussion in:
>
> https://rt.perl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=121734
>
> (not that I've reproduced that issue.)
>
> Tony

You should check the error output.
Both cygwin and Linux seem IMHO to report an insufficient buffer
and s1 is not guaranteed.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/strxfrm.html

     Upon successful completion, strxfrm() [CX] [Option Start]  and
strxfrm_l() [Option End]  shall return the length of the transformed
string (not including the terminating NUL character). If the value
returned is n or more, the contents of the array pointed to by s1 are
unspecified.

     On error, strxfrm() [CX] [Option Start]  and strxfrm_l() [Option
End]  may set errno but no return value is reserved to indicate an error.