On 05/23/2016 03:18 AM, x y wrote: > It is not clear to me your expectation: > - are you asking how to use ctime to select the file with tar alone ? > It is not possible for my understanding of the manual. > > - Are you asking the package maintainer to change the behaviour of > cygwin tar ? Unlikely to happen, but I leave to him. > > Regards > Marco > > > Hi Marco, > > Sorry, I am new to the mailing list. If I am not wrong, tar is > checking both of the ctime and mtime values to compare files during > incremental backups. Since opening and closing a MS document without > changing the content updates ctime, it would be preferable to add a > new option to tar to use only mtime for file comparing during > incremental backups. mtime is fakeable, ctime is not. Using only mtime makes it likely that your incremental backup will miss files. I don't have any good reason to differ from upstream behavior here. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org