* chere mintty window position
       [not found] <308637801.11319327.1470693117361.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-08-09  0:46 ` Brent
From: Brent @ 2016-08-09  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello.

I recently did a clean reinstallation of 32 bit cygwin, and as part of that, downloaded the chere package so that I could get Windows Explorer context menu bash here support.

I like my cygwin bash terminal windows to come up maximized by default.

So, my usual procedure the first time that I use the context menu bash here feature is to:
1) click on mintty's Windows square button in the top right to maximize the window
2) right click inside mintty --> Options... --> Window --> click on Current Size button

Doing that this time ALMOST works.  When I try the context menu bash here feature now, the mintty window does come up greatly enlarged.  BUT it is not correctly centered!  It actually is shifted to the right by ~5 or so pixels!  That means that the right side scroll bars, for example, are partly going off the right side of the screen.  This is very annoying.

Is this a known bug with mintty?

Is there a fix?

I have one guess.  This mintty page
    https://mintty.github.io/mintty.1.html
says that it supports a
    -p, --position X,Y
options, so something like
    -p 0,0
should do the trick.  The question is how can I supply an option like that to mintty when it is opened by chere from a Windows Explorer context menu.

* Re: chere mintty window position
@ 2016-08-11  3:07   ` Brian Mathis
From: Brian Mathis @ 2016-08-11  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Are you seeing this on Windows 10?  I have noticed a lot of other apps
do this as well on Windows 10, such as Evernote and Firefox.  It seems
to be caused by the invisible window border that Windows 10 puts on
everything to make it appear that apps have no border, but still give
you enough pixels to grab them to resize with the mouse.  You won't
notice it if you always have your apps maximized.

In that case, I don't think even a position parameter would help,
since the 0,0 would still include the invisible window border, unless
maybe you tried negative positions.

The fix needs to be done in code, as described here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35259756/wpf-and-windows-10-invisible-border-around-windows

You can pass options to mintty when you run chere using the -o option.
Try something like -o "-p -5,-5".  Run "chere -h" to see help.

@ 2016-08-11  6:33     ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-08-11  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 11.08.2016 um 00:53 schrieb Brian Mathis:
> Are you seeing this on Windows 10?  I have noticed a lot of other apps
> do this as well on Windows 10, such as Evernote and Firefox.  It seems
> to be caused by the invisible window border that Windows 10 puts on
> everything to make it appear that apps have no border, but still give
> you enough pixels to grab them to resize with the mouse.  You won't
> notice it if you always have your apps maximized.
>
> In that case, I don't think even a position parameter would help,
> since the 0,0 would still include the invisible window border, unless
> maybe you tried negative positions.
>
> The fix needs to be done in code, as described here:
>      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35259756/wpf-and-windows-10-invisible-border-around-windows
>
> You can pass options to mintty when you run chere using the -o option.
> Try something like -o "-p -5,-5".  Run "chere -h" to see help.
How about mintty -w max or -w full instead?
------
Thomas

       [not found] <145122677.670737.1471925177545.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-08-23  9:04 ` Brent
From: Brent @ 2016-08-23  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Mon, 15 Aug 2016 06:29:40 -0700  Thomas Wolff:
>>> I'm not use, but I think Thomas meant that as a possible yet to be written command line option.
>> OK, I misunderstood.  Good thing that I was too busy to day to try it out then.
>>
>> Yes, a mintty option like -w max or -w full would be perfect.
>These are existing options.

Thomas, thanks for clearing that matter up.
I can confirm that "-w max" seems to work perfectly for me.

For reference, my complete procedure now is to first open the cygwin terminal from Start --> All Programs --> Cygwin --> Cygwin64 Terminal using Run As Administrator.  Then execute this line in it:

    chere -i  -e "Bash (Cygwin) Here"  -s bash  -t mintty -o "-w max"  -f
(The Run As Administrator and -f being needed to overwrite previous register entries.)

* Re: chere mintty window position
@ 2016-08-15 16:32   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2016-08-15 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] <1225077593.13277666.1471058367999.JavaMail.yahoo.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-08-13  9:40 ` Brent
From: Brent @ 2016-08-13  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2016-08-12 12:20   ` Frank Fesevur
From: Frank Fesevur @ 2016-08-12 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>How about mintty -w max or -w full instead?
>
> Thanks, I am going to try that tomorrow.

I'm not use, but I think Thomas meant that as a possible yet to be
written command line option.

Regards,
Frank

* chere mintty window position
       [not found] <1470920269.89779.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2016-08-12  7:49 ` Brent
From: Brent @ 2016-08-12  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Mathis wrote:

> Are you seeing this on Windows 10?

Yes.

> ...unless maybe you tried negative positions
> You can pass options to mintty when you run chere using the -o option.
> Try something like -o "-p -5,-5".  Run "chere -h" to see help.

That works!

My exact chere command line is
    chere -i  -e "Open Cygwin Bash Here"  -s bash  -t mintty -o "-p -6,-5"  -f
(which does a lot more than set the window position).