From: Linda Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Unknown+User Unix_Group+505 on smb shares in a domian
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 23:49:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Wayne Porter wrote:
>> 	Essentially you have a bunch of users on different machines that aren't
>> sharing their files under any common (or shared) security authority
>> (like a single domain).  Until you persuade the owners of those linux machines
>> to move the linux machines under a common security authority (like a windows
>> domain) and moving the user accounts into the domain.  Each local account
>> would have to be moved to a domain account with the files under each
>> machine-local account being moved (or "chown'ed") to the new, corresponding
>> domain account).
>
> The shares are mapped and working just fine in Windows. To IT, there isn't
> anything that needs to be done. It just happens that Cygwin, which I'm the only
> one using, maps the Windows mapped drives to an unknown user account and makes
> using it difficult.
---
	Working in windows where?  What does "working just fine in Windows" mean?
That people in explorer on your machine have read+write access to the linux-shares?

	Or do you have domain access to the machines running Windows?
Are those machine in your Domain or are they outside your domain like the linux
machines?

>> 	This is an organizational problem that has nothing to do with
>> cygwin, but whether windows and linux machines are using domain or machine-local
>> security.  Until your linux machines and their local user become part of the
>> domain, you can't expect any "write" privileges granted to you under the
>> domain to work on the linux machines.
>>

> I have write permissions on those machines from Windows. Cygwin thinks I don't so
> files are opened in read-only mode but when I force them to be written, it works.
> I'm not sure if maybe I left this out of my initial information, but these are
> shares that are mapped in Windows on login and there are no issues there, but once
> I open Cygwin, I don't appear to have write access even though I do.
---
	If you have write access, then you are saying the permission are not displaying
properly in Cygwin.  So do you have the same, *actual* access in Cygwin as windows
(ignoring what permissions may be displayed)?  It could be that you have domain-admin
access and are overriding listed permissions on remote machines.  If it's the case
that your user doesn't have R+W access, but you are a domain admin, you might just
be overriding the write-restrictions in windows as well as cygwin.

> When mapping the drives in Windows, a username and password are given. Is there no
> way to let Cygwin know about that username without joining the servers to the domain?
> I know that this setup isn't ideal, which is why I'm trying to find a work-around.
---
	Bingo!  You need to try something like
"runas [alternate credentials + alternate password] net use W: ..."

That might work... but is really icky, since you can't easily automate that
without storing the password in clear-text in some file in your profile... that's
not a good solution.