From: Linda Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org>
To: "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Cc: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
Subject: Re: Blocking a base package from installing
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 00:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Achim Gratz wrote:
> Now, that last question of yours: No, the package manager should never
> allow you to not install a base package.  These are in category "Base"
> precisely so the rest of the system can rely on the functionality
> provided.
---
	And what other programs will stop functioning if
vim is not installed?

	If I compile and install a version of vim on my system,
why would I want to put it in a location like /usr/local where
it might not be used -- all the time?

	I'm the only user on my system -- whether I run as a user
or as root, or whatever, I'm not doing this for someone else.  If I
try to edit a file using 'vim' from the explorer menu, will it invoke
my vim in /usr/local -- of course not.  Installing some private
copy where all the rest of the system will ignore it, is asking
for headaches.

	How many people do you think are installing cygwin on
servers to be used by many people, vs. their personal machines to only
be used by them?

	But back to the 1st Q.  What other programs will fail to work
if the base-version of vim isn't installed?