* ssh cause mintty terminal not to close (tested on 4 cygwin installations)
@ 2018-08-02 13:44 Niels Kristian Jensen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Niels Kristian Jensen @ 2018-08-02 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've noticed a strange behavior of the standard Cygwin Terminal (mintty):

If I open a Cygwin Terminal (using the shortcut on the desktop installed by
Cygwin setup) and just press Ctrl-D, it writes "logout" and closes the
window as expected.

If I do the same, but give one command "ssh<enter>" first, the word
"logout" appear, the window goes black, but the window does not close (!) The
window can still be closed using the "X" in upper right corner.

If I replace the command with "ssh -V<enter>", the window closes as
expected when I press Ctrl-D.

This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with Jenkins
builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I wonder
 if this could be a clue in this investigation.

Tested versions:

Windows Server 2008 R2
OpenSSH_7.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
mintty 2.7.0 (i686-pc-cygwin)

and

Windows 10
OpenSSH_7.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2m  2 Nov 2017
mintty 2.8.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)

Only commented lines appear in /etc/ssh_config , ~/.bashrc and
~/.bash_profile on both systems.

I would be glad if (some of) you could repeat this test on your system -
perhaps this behavior is due to some local problem on my systems.

Best regards,

Niels Kristian Jensen
Denmark

* Re: ssh cause mintty terminal not to close (tested on 4 cygwin installations)
@ 2018-08-02 14:36 ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-02 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/2/2018 9:44 AM, Niels Kristian Jensen wrote:
> I've noticed a strange behavior of the standard Cygwin Terminal (mintty):
>
> If I open a Cygwin Terminal (using the shortcut on the desktop installed by
> Cygwin setup) and just press Ctrl-D, it writes "logout" and closes the
> window as expected.
>
> If I do the same, but give one command "ssh<enter>" first, the word
> "logout" appear, the window goes black, but the window does not close (!) The
> window can still be closed using the "X" in upper right corner.

I see no such problem with Windows 10 Home Edition.

> If I replace the command with "ssh -V<enter>", the window closes as
> expected when I press Ctrl-D.
>
> This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with Jenkins
> builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I wonder
>  if this could be a clue in this investigation.

I doubt it ... see below.

> Tested versions:
>
> Windows Server 2008 R2
> OpenSSH_7.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
> mintty 2.7.0 (i686-pc-cygwin)

What arch is this server?  x86_64 or i686?

> and
>
> Windows 10
> OpenSSH_7.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2m  2 Nov 2017
> mintty 2.8.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)

Same questions!

> Only commented lines appear in /etc/ssh_config , ~/.bashrc and
> ~/.bash_profile on both systems.
>
> I would be glad if (some of) you could repeat this test on your system -
> perhaps this behavior is due to some local problem on my systems.

If you have x86_64 (i.e. 64bit) servers then install 64bit Cygwin to see
it this continues.  Otherwise follow the instructions at ...

cyg Simple

* Re: ssh cause mintty terminal not to close (tested on 4 cygwin installations)
@ 2018-08-02 21:07 ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2018-08-02 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 02.08.2018 um 15:44 schrieb Niels Kristian Jensen:
> I've noticed a strange behavior of the standard Cygwin Terminal (mintty):
>
> If I open a Cygwin Terminal (using the shortcut on the desktop installed by
> Cygwin setup) and just press Ctrl-D, it writes "logout" and closes the
> window as expected.
>
> If I do the same, but give one command "ssh<enter>" first, the word
> "logout" appear, the window goes black, but the window does not close (!) The
> window can still be closed using the "X" in upper right corner.
>
> If I replace the command with "ssh -V<enter>", the window closes as
> expected when I press Ctrl-D.
>
> This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with Jenkins
> builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I wonder
>   if this could be a clue in this investigation.
>
> Tested versions:
>
> Windows Server 2008 R2
> OpenSSH_7.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
> mintty 2.7.0 (i686-pc-cygwin)
>
> and
>
> Windows 10
> OpenSSH_7.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2m  2 Nov 2017
> mintty 2.8.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
See https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/745; mintty 2.9.0 includes
some tweaks to improve interworking with ssh.

@ 2018-08-02 21:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-08-02 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Kristian Jensen, cygwin

Greetings, Niels Kristian Jensen!

> I've noticed a strange behavior of the standard Cygwin Terminal (mintty):

> If I open a Cygwin Terminal (using the shortcut on the desktop installed by
> Cygwin setup) and just press Ctrl-D, it writes "logout" and closes the
> window as expected.

> If I do the same, but give one command "ssh<enter>" first, the word
> "logout" appear, the window goes black, but the window does not close (!) The
> window can still be closed using the "X" in upper right corner.

> If I replace the command with "ssh -V<enter>", the window closes as
> expected when I press Ctrl-D.

A long known issue.
mintty holds terminal open if last program finished with failure.
ssh somehow tripping this wire on occasion.

> This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with Jenkins
> builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I wonder
>  if this could be a clue in this investigation.

> Tested versions:

> Windows Server 2008 R2
> OpenSSH_7.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
> mintty 2.7.0 (i686-pc-cygwin)

> and

> Windows 10
> OpenSSH_7.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2m  2 Nov 2017
> mintty 2.8.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)

Try upgrading your mintty, also, if it's about automated building environment,
I don't see how's mintty can be involved.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: ssh cause mintty terminal not to close (tested on 4 cygwin installations)
@ 2018-08-03 10:02   ` nkj
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: nkj @ 2018-08-03 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-08-02 23:08, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Niels Kristian Jensen!

(cut)

> A long known issue.
> mintty holds terminal open if last program finished with failure.
> ssh somehow tripping this wire on occasion.

OK.

>> This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with
>> Jenkins
>> builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I
>> wonder
>>  if this could be a clue in this investigation.

(cut)

> Try upgrading your mintty, also, if it's about automated building
> environment,
> I don't see how's mintty can be involved.

If the "non-closure" of mintty  is completely internal in mintty and not
a handshake-mistake with the cygwin dll or the OS, then I agree. It
seems to be the case, reading the link provided by Thomas Wolff.

For cyg Simple:
I am stuck with Cygwin 32 bit because of some tools, we use. A team is
trying to get it to work with 64 bits, but that is not there yet.

For Thomas Wolff:
The link explains return code handling in mintty & ssh. A valid reason
to update mitty.

Thank you, Andrey, cyg Simple & Thomas Wolff :-)

Spejd er sejt!

Det Danske Spejderkorps

* Re: ssh cause mintty terminal not to close (tested on 4 cygwin installations)
@ 2018-08-03 22:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-08-03 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Kristian Jensen, cygwin

Greetings, Niels Kristian Jensen!

>>> This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with
>>> Jenkins
>>> builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I
>>> wonder
>>>  if this could be a clue in this investigation.
>>
> (cut)
>>
>> Try upgrading your mintty, also, if it's about automated building
>> environment,
>> I don't see how's mintty can be involved.

> If the "non-closure" of mintty  is completely internal in mintty and not
> a handshake-mistake with the cygwin dll or the OS, then I agree. It
> seems to be the case, reading the link provided by Thomas Wolff.

What I wanted to say is that I don't understand, why do you use mintty in this
specific case.

Can you provide a bit more background? Do you use it exclusively to call SSH
to some remote host?

P.S.
If it wouldn't be a big thing to ask of you, could you please configure your
email client to properly fill your "from" name?
I'm not very comfortable talking to email :)

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2018-08-03 23:43     ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2018-08-03 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/3/2018 6:01 AM, nkj@internetgruppen.dk wrote:
> For cyg Simple:
> I am stuck with Cygwin 32 bit because of some tools, we use. A team is
> trying to get it to work with 64 bits, but that is not there yet.

Are the tools dependent on the cygwin1.dll?

What problems, bring them here and maybe we can help.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: ssh cause mintty terminal not to close (tested on 4 cygwin installations)
@ 2018-08-04  4:29     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-08-04  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-08-03 04:01, nkj@internetgruppen.dk wrote:
> On 2018-08-02 23:08, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> A long known issue.
>> mintty holds terminal open if last program finished with failure.
>> ssh somehow tripping this wire on occasion.
> OK.
>>> This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with Jenkins
>>> builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I wonder
>>>  if this could be a clue in this investigation.

If you are using ssh with mintty add "-h never":

-h, --hold[ |=]never|start|error|always
~/.minttyrc, /etc/minttyrc Hold=never|start|error|always

man mintty notes ssh returns 255 on connection errors

>> Try upgrading your mintty, also, if it's about automated building environment,
>> I don't see how's mintty can be involved.

QA/testers may prefer to run tests in a tty using script, or some test tool,
rather than redirection, in what could be a background shell.

@ 2018-08-06 10:31       ` Niels Kristian "Ænkå" Jensen
From: Niels Kristian "Ænkå" Jensen @ 2018-08-06 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-08-04 00:24, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Niels Kristian Jensen!

>> (cut)
>>>
>>> Try upgrading your mintty, also, if it's about automated building
>>> environment,
>>> I don't see how's mintty can be involved.
>
>> If the "non-closure" of mintty  is completely internal in mintty and
>> not
>> a handshake-mistake with the cygwin dll or the OS, then I agree. It
>> seems to be the case, reading the link provided by Thomas Wolff.
>
> What I wanted to say is that I don't understand, why do you use mintty
> in this
> specific case.
>
> Can you provide a bit more background? Do you use it exclusively to
> call SSH
> to some remote host?

Hello Andrey,

let's forget about the hanging mintty window. I was chasing a ghost, it
seems.
Mintty is not involved in the Jenkins automation chain.

I'll write another post where I try to list my trouble and experiments
with hanging
Jenkins builds invoked via OpenSSH in cygwin on windows slaves/agents.

Best regards,
Niels Kristian Jensen

Spejd er sejt!

Det Danske Spejderkorps