* Why do I need Cygwin for Yeoman?
@ 2014-07-04  9:01 Clare Sudbery
From: Clare Sudbery @ 2014-07-04  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

I know this will seem a very facile question, but I have checked Google
and searched your archives, and I can't find the info I am looking for.

I am currently working through a Yeoman tutorial (here:
http://yeoman.io/codelab.html).

I am a .NET MVC Windows developer with JavaScript front end experience,
but I have never used Linux or Yeoman.

The tutorial recommends using Cygwin as a command prompt ("Most of your
interactions with Yeoman will be through the command line. Run commands
in the Terminal app if you’re on Mac, your shell in Linux, or Cygwin if
you are on Windows.").

I had never heard of Cygwin before, so I assumed it was just an enhanced
command prompt. I see from the home page that Cygwin is used to do Linus
dev in a Windows environment. I have no plans to do any Linux dev, but I
thought I may as well use whatever tools were being used in the Yeoman
tutorial. So I downloaded Cygwin... and it took several hours!

At the very end of the Cygwin download, my anti-virus software (Avast)
blocked an infected file
(hxxp://box-soft.com//x86_64/release/imlib2/libImlib2_1/libImlib2_1-1.4.5-2.tar.bz2|libImlib2_1-1.4.5-2.tar|usr\lib\imlib2\loaders\tga.dll)
so I had to finish with "download incomplete".

Nothing has been installed. After such a gigantic download, I am wary of
running the setup exe - given that I thought I was just installing a
command prompt.

Do I actually NEED Cygwin to use Yeoman? Can I just install a Cygwin
command prompt and leave the rest?

I have no experience of Linux or Unix and therefore didn't understand a
lot of the terminology on Cygwin's homepage or what I saw when I
initiated the download. As far as I can tell, I just want a command prompt!

* Re: Why do I need Cygwin for Yeoman?
@ 2014-07-04  9:23 ` Andrea Venturoli
From: Andrea Venturoli @ 2014-07-04  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 07/04/14 11:01, Clare Sudbery wrote:

> I am currently working through a Yeoman tutorial (here:
> http://yeoman.io/codelab.html).

Foreword: I don't even know what Yeoman is...

> The tutorial recommends using Cygwin as a command prompt ("Most of your
> interactions with Yeoman will be through the command line. Run commands
> in the Terminal app if youÂ’re on Mac, your shell in Linux, or Cygwin if
> you are on Windows.").

Their FAQs says it different: "On Windows, we use the command shell
(cmd.exe) or PowerShell.".

I would get sick fast of cmd.exe, but I never bothered trying PowerShell.

> I had never heard of Cygwin before, so I assumed it was just an enhanced
> command prompt.

No, it's not.

> I see from the home page that Cygwin is used to do Linus
> dev in a Windows environment.

Not even this.

> thought I may as well use whatever tools were being used in the Yeoman
> tutorial.

As I said before, no one sane would use cmd.exe as its prompt.
Having a decent shell is often one of the reason I install Cygwin when I
forcibly have to use Windows.

See https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.using.bloda.

> Do I actually NEED Cygwin to use Yeoman?

I don't think you need it, but (bearing in mind I don't even know
Yeoman) I think you want it.

> Can I just install a Cygwin command prompt and leave the rest?

No.

> As far as I can tell, I just want a command prompt!

Then I think you should look elsewhere (N.B. I don't know where).

  bye
	av.

* Re: Why do I need Cygwin for Yeoman?
@ 2014-07-04 10:16 ` Chris J. Breisch
From: Chris J. Breisch @ 2014-07-04 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At Friday, July 4, 2014, 5:01:48 AM, Clare Sudbery wrote:

> Hi

> I know this will seem a very facile question, but I have checked Google
> and searched your archives, and I can't find the info I am looking for.

> I am currently working through a Yeoman tutorial (here:
> http://yeoman.io/codelab.html).

> I am a .NET MVC Windows developer with JavaScript front end experience,
> but I have never used Linux or Yeoman.

> The tutorial recommends using Cygwin as a command prompt ("Most of your
> interactions with Yeoman will be through the command line. Run commands
> in the Terminal app if you’re on Mac, your shell in Linux, or Cygwin if
> you are on Windows.").

My  guess  is that they want consistency for their tutorial. For all I
know they actually have bits of the tutorial that depend upon being in
a Unix type shell.

> I had never heard of Cygwin before, so I assumed it was just an enhanced
> command prompt. I see from the home page that Cygwin is used to do Linus
> dev in a Windows environment. I have no plans to do any Linux dev, but I
> thought I may as well use whatever tools were being used in the Yeoman
> tutorial. So I downloaded Cygwin... and it took several hours!

It shouldn't take that long. I hope that you didn't download the whole
thing.  I  would start with a base install, and add things if you find
out that you need them.

> At the very end of the Cygwin download, my anti-virus software (Avast)
> blocked an infected file
> (hxxp://box-soft.com//x86_64/release/imlib2/libImlib2_1/libImlib2_1-1.4.5-2.tar.bz2|libImlib2_1-1.4.5-2.tar|usr\lib\imlib2\loaders\tga.dll)
> so I had to finish with "download incomplete".

Sounds  like  a  problem  with  your  anti-virus  software. You should
disable it while installing Cygwin.

> Nothing has been installed. After such a gigantic download, I am wary of
> running the setup exe - given that I thought I was just installing a
> command prompt.

It shouldn't be a gigantic download.

> Do I actually NEED Cygwin to use Yeoman? Can I just install a Cygwin
> command prompt and leave the rest?

I  don't  know the answer to the first question, but the answer to the
second  question is no. However, you can install just the base system.
That's what I would recommend.

--
 Chris J. Breisch