* RE: Failing to delete files that is hold by makegroup
@ 2003-08-26  7:47 Johan Kruger
From: Johan Kruger @ 2003-08-26  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I am using rm -df <dir>

getfacl <dir>:
# file: build_insight/
# owner: jkr
# group: mkgroup_l_d
user:rwx
user:jkr:rwx
mask:rwx
other:rwx
default:user:rwx
default:group:rwx

ls -ld <dir>:
drwxrwxrwx+	18	jkr	mkgroup_	4096 Aug 21 13:08	build_insight/

I hope that you can help, I am a newbie at this unix stuff.

Thanks,
Johan Kruger
Nanoteq
<mailto:jkr@nanoteq.co.za>
Tel (Direct)       : +27 12 672 7281
Tel (Operator)  : +27 12 672 7000
Fax                  : +27 12 665 1343
Mobile             : +27 82 893 4770
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-08-26 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Kruger; +Cc: cygwin

Johan,

Well, for one, why not use "rm -rf" instead?  I'm not at all sure the -d
flag is even implemented on Cygwin.

Also, the value "mkgroup_l_d" for your group means that your /etc/group
doesn't contain the group of the file owner.  Please make sure it's up to
date (see <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html>).

If the above still doesn't help, perhaps someone more knowledgeable in
ntsec behavior can chime in.  BTW, can you delete the directory using
Windows explorer (I'm not suggesting this as a workaround, just a data
point)?
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: Failing to delete files that is hold by makegroup
@ 2003-08-27  2:22   ` Pierre A. Humblet
From: Pierre A. Humblet @ 2003-08-27  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 07:59 AM 8/26/2003 -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>Johan,
>
>Well, for one, why not use "rm -rf" instead?  I'm not at all sure the -d
>flag is even implemented on Cygwin.
>
>Also, the value "mkgroup_l_d" for your group means that your /etc/group
>doesn't contain the group of the file owner.  Please make sure it's up to
>date (see <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html>).

Hmm, having mkgroup_l_d will never cause any problem of this type.
Let me set the record straight.

mkgroup_l_d  *IS*  the group name in the /etc/group file, although
it is not the Windows group name (which was unknown at postinstall time).
The user has 100% functionality and can e.g. ssh or telnet to the
local machine and use cron.
The main reason to run mk{passwd,group} -ld is aesthetic:
OTHER domain users and groups are unknown and ls -l might display ???????

In contrast when the group name is mkpasswd or mkgroup, the relevant
file is indeed incomplete. Still, there should NOT be any problem running
programs from a shell but it will be impossible to use services
that setuid, such as sshd, telnetd, crond, etc...

Pierre

* RE: Failing to delete files that is hold by makegroup
@ 2003-08-26 15:41 Johan Kruger
From: Johan Kruger @ 2003-08-26 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello Igor,

The files could not even be deleted in Windows Explorer, I have searched and tried I'd say 30 methods if not more. Then suddenly I ran a script file trying to build code into the same directory and whala the directories just dissappear. I think it may be possible that make was somehow, even after rebootting still holding some links to the files, I do not know as I have never had this problem on my XP machine. Mabe this is a Windows2K feature ?

Thanks in any case for your suggestions, the newbie is taking note !

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

From: Johan Kruger @ 2003-08-26  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I include two text files of directories that shows different attributes in the patrent directory that does not want to delete, maybe this is where the problem starts.

Thanks,
Johan Kruger
Nanoteq
<mailto:jkr@nanoteq.co.za>
Tel (Direct)       : +27 12 672 7281
Tel (Operator)  : +27 12 672 7000
Fax                  : +27 12 665 1343
Mobile             : +27 82 893 4770
http:\\www.nanoteq.co.za <http://www.nanoteq.co.za/>

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Johan Kruger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please help, on my Windows2000 machine a failed build script has left a
> directory on my machine that I am unable to delete, I have searched the
> internet, tried chmod to no avail, even tried shred. I am in a bit of
> confusion at this stage.
>
> Thanks,
> Johan Kruger

Johan,

What program do you use to delete directories?  What message are you
getting when you try to delete that directory?

If you get "permission denied", what is the output of 'ls -ld <dir>'?
What about 'getfacl <dir>'?  Who is the owner of the directory?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

[-- Attachment #2: err.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 165 bytes --]

# file: bfd
# owner: Administrators
# group: mkgroup_l_d
user::-w-
user:jkr:rwx
group::---
mask:rwx
other:---
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

[-- Attachment #3: err1.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 0 bytes --]

* Re: Failing to delete files that is hold by makegroup
@ 2003-08-25 15:31 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-08-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Kruger; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2003-08-25 10:25 Johan Kruger