I've tried to get pulseaudio to run on my local win computer to output sound through the default device. Instead, all I get is: > pulseaudio -nF default.pa W: [(null)] caps.c: Normally all extra capabilities would be dropped now, but that's impossible because PulseAudio was built without capabilities support. E: [(null)] main.c: Daemon startup failed. Tried starting under cmd using psexec and telling it to use -s Run the remote process in the System account. and use system instance, and get: W: [(null)] caps.c: Normally all extra capabilities would be dropped now, but th at's impossible because PulseAudio was built without capabilities support. N: [(null)] main.c: System mode refused for non-root user. Only starting the D-B us server lookup service. E: [(null)] main.c: Daemon startup failed. C:\bin\pulseaudio.exe exited on Athenae with error code 1. ------------ Who is root? and why the prob with caps on cygwin? I mean -- it shouldn't give an error -- what caps is it concerned about dropping? So tried it as SYSTEM for system instance -- didn't like that tried it as limited user, and really didn't like that. Does it work for anyone? On Win7SP1. attached is cygcheck.out thanks in-advance! -linda