* RE: Questions about Cygwin's setup...
@ 2001-01-25 12:29 Masterson, Dave
From: Masterson, Dave @ 2001-01-25 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hmmm.  Was I being offensive in what I said?  If so, I didn't mean to be.  I
only thought I was asking some questions about setup and expanding on my
reasoning for those questions.  My hope was simply that maybe someone would
say "oh, you could do that this way."  Failing that, I'd go look at how I
want to install Cygwin more and see what I could hack up.

From: Robinow, David @ 2001-01-26  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I am trying to redirect my cygwin messages to my cygwin mail folder
> as they arrive.  The filters for MS Outlook would seem to be too lame
> to handle this pattern.  Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

 Apply this rule after the message arrives
 with cygwin in the message header
 move it to the cygwin folder

* RE: Questions about Cygwin's setup...
@ 2001-01-25 14:18 Dan Lipofsky
From: Dan Lipofsky @ 2001-01-25 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > Hmmm.  The cygwin mailer does some strange things with Reply-to.  Your
> > message has a Reply-to of "Earnie Boyd <cygwin@cygwin.com>".  Is this
> > intentional?
>
> Users do this to avoid getting personal replies.  It keeps the
> topic in the forum.

I am trying to redirect my cygwin messages to my cygwin mail folder
as they arrive.  The filters for MS Outlook would seem to be too lame
to handle this pattern.  Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
- Dan

* Re: Questions about Cygwin's setup...
@ 2001-01-25 12:35 Masterson, Dave
From: Masterson, Dave @ 2001-01-25 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

That didn't come out right.  I was not addressing this particularly at
Chris.  The last few messages just seemed to have a bit of an undertone to
them...

I have gotten a few ideas which I'll now consider on how to apply.

@ 2001-01-25 11:56 Masterson, Dave

From: Masterson, Dave @ 2001-01-25 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Well, strictly speaking, I am not a Windows system administrator -- actually
I'm a UNIX developer who happens to be working in a Windows group at the
moment.  I was just considering introducing a UNIX environment to the group
(they already have a messy MKS environment) in as low maintenance an
approach as possible.  My previous message was just a couple of ideas that
would make that easier.

With respect to managing packages on a Windows system, what I've seen done
by others is to put the installable packages (usually copies of the
package's original CD) up on some central share somewhere and then leave it
to the individual local system admins (usually the user of that system) to
install and maintain the package on the system.  In this sense, network
shares in Windows-NT are often used in the opposite manner of NFS mounts in
UNIX (ie. the shares hold centralized data whereas the NFS mounts hold
centralized programs).  For the most part, this is often forced by the
licensing and installation structure of these packages (ie. single-user,
single-machine licenses).

Cygwin and all the GNU tools, though, are open-source (free source?)
products and, so, shouldn't suffer from the strictures of a copyright
license.  I have installed a great many of these GNU tools on a central UNIX
server and made them available to many UNIX systems (all they had to do was
mount the drive and adjust their PATH).  In fact, I have a Perl package
around here somewhere that allowed me to maintain multiple versions of the
installed packages so as to allow developers to test against old versions of
tools if they needed (it also addressed the "clean" uninstall issue).  From
what I can see of the Cygwin environment, it is very close to having this
capability as well.  My original questions concerning what Setup.exe does
with respect to the registry and such were to find out how close.

Another post suggested a slightly kludgy way of doing what I want (I'm still
thinking about how to apply it).  However, the post at least confirms that
other people want to do what I'm suggesting and have investigated ways to
workaround the current Setup.exe to do it.  Ultimately, though, I think
Setup.exe package should facilitate this type of a setup (or, at least, not
do anything to get in the way).  In that, I think the "nice to haves" would
be:

* a command line tool that would create the necessary registry entries for
Cygwin (so that it can be put into a batch script for all the users to run).

* a "setup" package that could be kept local and updated like any other
package.

> Hmmm.  The cygwin mailer does some strange things with Reply-to.  Your
> message has a Reply-to of "Earnie Boyd <cygwin@cygwin.com>".  Is this
> intentional?

Yes, it is intentional.  It's a means of keeping it in the forum and
avoiding private conversation.

> With respect to my message, it should be obvious that I'm trying to setup
> "minimum" install of Cygwin.  My thought was that, since only I in my
group
> pay attention to what goes on with Cygwin, I could maintain a central area
> where Cygwin is.

Understandable.

> I suppose I could send out occassional messages that say
> something like "rerun \\my\setup.exe to update your Cygwin", but it would
be
> much better if it just happened automatically.

I thought you were setting up Cygwin itself centrally.  Once setup the
local workstation would then not need changed.

> Thus the idea of a pre-setup
> central share that I (the Cygwin admin) maintain.  Also, if the speed of
the
> central share, it probably wouldn't be hard to make a batch script to
mirror
> it to a local drive (which I might write).

Use wget to mirror.

> With respect to your answers:
>
> * Why not make setup a package (say "cygwinsetup") like all the rest so
that
> it could potentially update itself?

Just use wget.  Setup a cron job to run weekly or what ever frequency
you desire.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* RE: Questions about Cygwin's setup...
@ 2001-01-24 18:27 Masterson, Dave
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Masterson, Dave @ 2001-01-24 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Earnie Boyd'

Hmmm.  The cygwin mailer does some strange things with Reply-to.  Your
message has a Reply-to of "Earnie Boyd <cygwin@cygwin.com>".  Is this
intentional?

With respect to my message, it should be obvious that I'm trying to setup a
"minimum" install of Cygwin.  My thought was that, since only I in my group
pay attention to what goes on with Cygwin, I could maintain a central area
where Cygwin is.  I suppose I could send out occassional messages that say
something like "rerun \\my\setup.exe to update your Cygwin", but it would be
much better if it just happened automatically.  Thus the idea of a pre-setup
central share that I (the Cygwin admin) maintain.  Also, if the speed of the
central share, it probably wouldn't be hard to make a batch script to mirror
it to a local drive (which I might write).

With respect to your answers:

* Why not make setup a package (say "cygwinsetup") like all the rest so that
it could potentially update itself?

* The cygwinsetup package could include a batch script that calls a copy of
setup.exe from some well-known location in the local directory tree.  It
could first install setup.exe and then copy it to the well-known location to
ensure there are no update conflicts.

* The cygwinsetup script could also include a separate shell/bat/exe that
could be called by (say) cygwin.bat to check to see if the mount tables in
the registry have been setup and, if not, set them up before starting bash.
(This could probably be hacked out of setup.exe.)

With this, I only have to tell users (once) to setup a shortcut icon that
points to cygwin.bat.  Also, since this area is pre-setup by me, I can
include things that are not installed by setup.exe (like many Elisp
extensions to Emacs or many toys in /usr/local) and users would "just get
it".

From: Masterson, Dave @ 2001-01-24 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I have a few questions about the setup of Cygwin:

*	If you use the Setup.exe program to install Cygwin, does that update
the Windows-NT registry in any meaningful way?
*	Could I use the Setup program to install Cygwin on a Windows-NT
share and would that be immediately useable by others (assuming they update
their PATH variables)?
*	If I use Setup to update this share (assuming its quiet), would
users need to do something (like fix their registry)?
*	Does Setup remove old files during update?
*	Can Setup update itself?
*	What is the latest version of Setup (I have 2.6)?

David Masterson
*	Rational Software
*	18880 Homestead Rd.
*	Cupertino, CA  95014