* Question on gcc install
@ 2014-06-16  0:39 Arthur Schwarz
From: Arthur Schwarz @ 2014-06-16  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Does gcc delete old version of their software during an install. I just
installed gcc/mingw 4.8.3-2 and have all versions from 4.7.3 to 4.8.3-2 but
(I think) only libraries and etc. for 4.8.3-2. Am I responsible for deleting
these older references? Will these older references work with the newer
libraries?

These are the programs I have (for i in `ls /bin/i686* ls/bin/x86*`; do $i
--version; done | grep GCC)
i686-pc-cygwin-c++ (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-pc-cygwin-cpp (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-pc-cygwin-g++ (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-pc-cygwin-gcc (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.2 (GCC) 4.8.2
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-pc-mingw32-c++ (GCC) 4.7.3
i686-pc-mingw32-cpp (GCC) 4.7.3
i686-pc-mingw32-g++ (GCC) 4.7.3
i686-pc-mingw32-gcc (GCC) 4.7.3
i686-pc-mingw32-gcc-4.7.3 (GCC) 4.7.3
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.7.3
i686-w64-mingw32-c++ (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-w64-mingw32-cpp (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-w64-mingw32-g++ (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-w64-mingw32-gcc (GCC) 4.8.2
i686-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.8.2 (GCC) 4.8.2
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.8.2
x86_64-pc-cygwin-c++ (GCC) 4.8.3
x86_64-pc-cygwin-g++ (GCC) 4.8.3
x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc (GCC) 4.8.3
x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.3 (GCC) 4.8.3
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.8.3
x86_64-w64-mingw32-c++ (GCC) 4.8.2
x86_64-w64-mingw32-cpp (GCC) 4.8.2
x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++ (GCC) 4.8.2
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc (GCC) 4.8.2
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.8.2 (GCC) 4.8.2
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.8.2

* Re: Question on gcc install
@ 2014-06-17 16:31 Arthur Schwarz
From: Arthur Schwarz @ 2014-06-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: rcsaba

Win7
gcc 4.8.3
Netbeans 7.4

Hi Csaba;

I used setup.exe.

The issue and confusion arise because I am using the Netbeans IDE, and
Netbeans requires explicit reference to the gcc, g++, fortran compilers and
assembler being used. I am running into difficulties.

1: mingw fails to link correctly. Hundreds if not thousands of linker
errors.
2: the gcc -m32 option fails (cross-posted to gcc.gnu.org).
3: The relationship between executables and directories is not understood.
4: The pairing of executables is not well understood, especially those with
version numbers on them.

For point (4) there are executables with appended version numbers for gcc
but there are no similarly appended version numbers to g++ and fortran. My
guess is that the version numbers specify the supported version for the
prefixed executables (see below).
	i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.2.exe
	i686-pc-mingw32-gcc-4.7.3.exe
	i686-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.8.2.exe
	x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.3.exe
	x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-4.8.2.exe

In a much similar fashion I don't understand the relationship between the
different gcc/g++/fortran/as prefixes, and I don't know what documents
identify usages. Are they gcc or cygwin documents.
	i686-pc-cygwin
	i686-pc-mingw32
	i686-w64-mingw32
	x86_64-pc-cygwin
	x86_64-w64-mingw32

The directory structures point (3) are completely mystifying. I can
understand the /usr/lib/gcc directories but am completely mystified by the
/usr directories.

	/usr/					/usr/lib/gcc
		i686-pc-cygwin				i686-pc-cygwin
		i686-pc-mingw32				i686-pc-mingw32
		i686-w64-mingw32
i686-w64-mingw32
		x86_64-w64-mingw32			x86_64-pc-cygwin

x86_64-w64-mingw32

For one, there seems to be too few /usr/ directories in comparison to the
prefixes. For another, only one of the directories contain support for gcc
vrs. 4.8.3 (x86_64-pc-cygwin). The remainder of the support is mostly for
gcc vrs. 4.8.2. So whatever the directories do, their support is
inconsistent, i.e., they all don't support the downloaded gcc version
(4.8.3) and their support is not consistent for gcc vrs. 4.8.2.

	/usr/lib/gcc/
		i686-pc-cygwin		4.8.2
		i686-pc-mingw32		4.7.3
		i686-w64-mingw32		4.8.2
		x86_64-pc-cygwin		4.8.3
		x86_64-w64-mingw32	4.8.2

So I don't know how to setup Netbeans and I don't know what I have. I
downloaded gcc 4.8.3 and I seem to have only 1 of 5 systems with 4.8.3, the
rest being 4.8.2 or 4.7.3. I don't understand the difference between, e.g.,
x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc.exe and x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.3.exe. My guess is
that there is no difference between the versioned and unversioned
executables and that the gcc vrs. 4.8.3 downloads only included the
x86_64-pc-cygwin compiler. And of course, the gcc.exe file, the
x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc.exe, and the x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.3.exe would all
be the same if my guesses are correct.

In any case, anything you can do to clarify would be appreciated (include
the statement, "read to --- book").
art

* Re: Question on gcc install
@ 2014-06-17 21:33 Arthur Schwarz
From: Arthur Schwarz @ 2014-06-17 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Larry;

I think I mislead you. Netbeans is quite comfortable with cygwin, and I
believe demands it in a Windows environment. What Netbeans requires is the
exact oath to use for gcc, g++, gfortran, the assembler, make file, gdb, and
qmake (optional). The make file path and gdb are invariant. The other
executables must be provided (except for the unadornded gcc, g++, gfortran,
and as).

The issue of "what's going on" first came up because gcc -m32 did not work
for any compiler. In talking with  Marc Glisse @ gcc.gnu.org, he had some
questions on c++config.h. In finding the path to and looking at this file I
became confused as to the directories available, their use and their
association with the executables and gcc versions. Given the latest (16 Jun)
release I am further confused.

At the present time /bin/gcc.exe, etc., works. /bin/*mingw*.exe either
compiles but does not link, or does not compile - which seems to be a header
issue. gcc -m32 does not work which may be a gcc.gnu issue.

If there is a resource document that I can look at to find the meaning of
life, could you tell me where to find it? I have downloaded the gcc.gnu.org
document set for vrs. 4.8.3, Is this sufficient?

Thanks
art

* RE: Re: Question on gcc install
@ 2014-06-19 23:59 Arthur Schwarz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Arthur Schwarz @ 2014-06-19 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Arthur Schwarz', cygwin; +Cc: 10walls

Hi JonY;

I hope that this clarifies some of the thing yous mentioned (as well as
others unmentioned).

None of the toolchains are multilib capable, so -m32/-m64 is not going
to work. See also http://wiki.osdev.org/Target_Triplet
   "> info gcc -> Option Index" shows -m32 and -m64 as valid
   Options Are there plans to change the info files so that
   they better represent the distributed versions of the
   compiler?

No, gdb happens to be invariant because you don't have cross gdb
installed. You cannot debug 32bit code with 64bit gdb on Windows.
   Would it be possible to clarify that 64-bit compiler target
   Will only work on a compatible 64-bit gdb (same for 32-bit)
   and that in order to get gcc to generate code for 32-bit
   targets the setup-x86.exe must be used ant that in order to
   get 64-bit target code setup-x86_64.exe must be used?

> If there is a resource document that I can look at to find the meaning of
> life, could you tell me where to find it? I have downloaded the
> gcc.gnu.org document set for vrs. 4.8.3, Is this sufficient?

My advice is, stop jumping to conclusions,
   Could you please clarify what in the above sentence draws a
   conclusion? Are you saying that if I have concluded that
   documentation exists that it does not?

and stop assuming facts about how things are related,
   Could you please clarify what in the above sentence supports your
   statement? Are you saying that the gcc documentation for vrs. 4.8.3
   Is not related to the gcc port?

and fix your email client to reply to threads properly instead of starting a
new thread for every reply.
   I am trying. I am terribly sorry that this occurs.

   What on Earth is the python script for?
      It is for gdb pretty-printing. Your questions are more
      appropriate on gcc-help.
         Is there some reason a gdb script is located under
         A gcc directory and not a gdb directory?

   Supposing the following seems to have occurred with this release.
      1: The use of appended version numbers in /bin has been
         abandoned.
      2: The latest distribution (16 Jun) has an error in that
         x86_64-w64-mingw32 does not have an associated file
         in /usr/. There is an associated file in /usr/lib/gcc
         however.

      What?
         In trying to understand your comment I assume that you
         Are questioning items 1: and 2: above.
         1: the latest download, unlike previous downloads, is
             Missing compiler files such as
             i686-pc-cygwin-gcc-4.8.2.exe.
         2: In all cases except x86_64-w64-mingw32, there is
            a directory in /usr and /usr/lib/gcc with the
            same toolchain prefix as in /bin. Without being
            tendentious I assume that you understand the
            toolchain prefix as defined in
            http://wiki.osdev.org/Target_Triplet. You have
            requested that I make no assumptions, so I now
            assume that the omission is deliberate and
            need no further investigation or action.

   From http://wiki.osdev.org/Target_Triplet the compiler names
   are:
      machine-vendor-operatingsystem

   For the cygwin distribution this translates to:
        i686-pc-cygwin
        |    |  o- operating system
        |    o- vendor
        o- target platform

        x86_64-pc-cygwin
        |      |  o- operating system
        |      o- vendor
        o- target platform

        i686-pc-mingw32/
        |    |  o- operating system
        |    o- vendor
        o- target platform

        i686-w64-mingw32
        |    |   o- operating system
        |    o- vendor
        o- target platform

        x86_64-w64-mingw32
        |      |   o- operating system
        |      o- vendor
        o- target platform

       What is the w64 vendor and mingw32 operatingsystem?
       I am relieved that the '32' in 'mingw32' has
       no meaning.

   /usr/share/doc/gcc/README and /usr/share/doc/gcc/INSTALL/README
   Reference the directory gcc/doc. Would it be possible to show
   the complete path to this directory?

Thanks
art