From: David Dombrowsky <davek@6thstreetradio.org>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: more notes pinentry
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 11:53:29 -0400	[thread overview]

I've had an ongoing saga of trying to get gpg2's pinentry to work on the
console, via an SSH session, without requiring a console window.

I just tried rebuilding and testing from the latest git repo, and I
still receive the same error:

$ echo test | gpg -sab
gpg: using "01D5A625A30C0E6A" as default secret key for signing
gpg: signing failed: Operation cancelled
gpg: signing failed: Operation cancelled

The "Operation cancelled" comes from some command it's sending to the
tty and that's failing.  I haven't looked into it more than that.  It
isn't a system limitation, as `ssh-add` can prompt for a password all day.

As an admittedly insecure work-around, I've forked the code and added
something that will read the password from a file in the home directory.
 This is obviously sub-optimal, but it works.  Since I sign every git
commit and I'm the only user of this machine, it's a reasonable risk to
take to allow me to conveniently sign my commits.

The fork is here, in case anyone cares:

https://github.com/ddombrowsky/pinentry/commits/secretfile

If anyone has any opinions as to the real root cause, I'd be willing to
look into it more.

--
David Dombrowsky | Chief Software Engineer
6th Street Radio LLC | 6thstreetradio.org | 518-374-3204