On 04/14/2017 11:33 PM, Steven Penny wrote: > On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 13:48:04, Eric Blake wrote: >> Is it still a problem with pselect, where rebuilding with the same >> configuration as 7.0.1-2 fixes things? I've got some time today to look at building readline, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be debugging. You have so many emails saying "see this earlier URL" that I am lost in what you are saying is wrong or how to reproduce it. I'm currently testing with: bash 4.4.12-3 cygwin 2.8.2-1 libreadline7 7.0.3-3 (or self-built) > I'm really not sure how to even >> go about debugging this one, and it's not my highest priority at the >> moment (I've got coreutils 8.27 to build for cygwin, and autoconf 2.70 >> to release upstream). So any help is welcome. > > Ok. I have not gone through the whole commit, as it is huge: > > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-01/msg00204.html > > but I did find something. Using: > > git checkout readline-7.0-alpha~1 > > for the last good commit and: > > git checkout readline-7.0-alpha > > for the first bad commit, I found that the change to the "rl_insert" > function in > "text.c" breaks pasting and Alt codes with "chcp.com 65001". Can you > work with > this? Thanks again for trying to narrow things down. I have recompiled readline locally with optimizations turned off (so it's easier for me to see what's going on), and am set up to run gdb on bash with a given readline executable installed. If you have really narrowed the problem to rl_insert(), that's at least something I can investigate. But where I'm stuck now is what works for you and what you think is wrong. Is this something where I can start bash under mintty, or do I have to start under cmd? Right there, I already see a difference with the two environments. Starting from cmd, I did: c:\cygwin\bin> od -tx1 which displayed Ω 00000000 ce a9 0z 0000003 so I did indeed insert GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA U+03A9. But trying the same thing under a bash session in minty shows: ê 0000000 c3 aa 0a 0000003 so that is not the same character. I'm not sure if a code page change is supposed to alter what I see. So I'm back to cmd to try and debug things. Next, I tried: c:\cygwin\bin> .\dash and again got Ω; pressing complains that ./dash: 1: Ω: not found However, when I try: c:\cygwin\bin> .\bash --norc the display shows :\251 and hitting wipes out that display without doing anything. So I _think_ I'm running into the problem you're describing, but want to make sure, since it is different based on whether I started bash from cmd or from mintty. -- Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer Red Hat, Inc. +1-919-301-3266 Virtualization: qemu.org | libvirt.org