* Run Windows application via ssh
@ 2004-05-03 14:02 Mauro Migliorati
From: Mauro Migliorati @ 2004-05-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I installed Cygwin on a machine with Windows XP and started the service sshd.
I would like to connect from another machine (client) via ssh, run a Windows
application on the server and view the window on the client. I do not want to
use vnc, I just want to run a single application, not the desktop of the
server that is used by another user.

I manage to connect via ssh but, when I try to open an application, like
notepad, it does not appear on the client screen.

Thank you for any hint,
--
               Mauro

* Re: Run Windows application via ssh
@ 2004-05-03 15:31 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-05-03 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauro Migliorati, cygwin

At 10:01 AM 5/3/2004, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I installed Cygwin on a machine with Windows XP and started the service sshd.
>I would like to connect from another machine (client) via ssh, run a Windows
>application on the server and view the window on the client. I do not want to
>use vnc, I just want to run a single application, not the desktop of the
>server that is used by another user.
>
>I manage to connect via ssh but, when I try to open an application, like
>notepad, it does not appear on the client screen.

Specify the '--interactive' flag to 'cygrunsrv' when you install 'sshd'.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Run Windows application via ssh
@ 2004-05-03 15:39   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-05-03 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List; +Cc: Mauro Migliorati

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

> At 10:01 AM 5/3/2004, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I installed Cygwin on a machine with Windows XP and started the service
> >sshd. I would like to connect from another machine (client) via ssh,
> >run a Windows application on the server and view the window on the
> >client. I do not want to use vnc, I just want to run a single
> >application, not the desktop of the server that is used by another
> >user.
> >
> >I manage to connect via ssh but, when I try to open an application,
> >like notepad, it does not appear on the client screen.
>
> Specify the '--interactive' flag to 'cygrunsrv' when you install 'sshd'.

This will only pop up notepad (or any other windowed application) on the
*server's* desktop.  What the OP wants is forwarding of individual
graphical apps over ssh, and this can't be done with Windows apps.
Perhaps a remote desktop solution of some sort will work.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Run Windows application via ssh
@ 2004-05-03 15:59     ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-05-03 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List; +Cc: Mauro Migliorati

At 11:39 AM 5/3/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, 3 May 2004, Larry Hall wrote:
>
>> At 10:01 AM 5/3/2004, you wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I installed Cygwin on a machine with Windows XP and started the service
>> >sshd. I would like to connect from another machine (client) via ssh,
>> >run a Windows application on the server and view the window on the
>> >client. I do not want to use vnc, I just want to run a single
>> >application, not the desktop of the server that is used by another
>> >user.
>> >
>> >I manage to connect via ssh but, when I try to open an application,
>> >like notepad, it does not appear on the client screen.
>>
>> Specify the '--interactive' flag to 'cygrunsrv' when you install 'sshd'.
>
>This will only pop up notepad (or any other windowed application) on the
>*server's* desktop.  What the OP wants is forwarding of individual
>graphical apps over ssh, and this can't be done with Windows apps.

Right, sorry.  I don't know how I missed the "view the window on the client"
part.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Run Windows application via ssh
@ 2004-05-03 16:44 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2004-05-03 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mauro Migliorati wrote:

> I manage to connect via ssh but, when I try to open an application, like
> notepad, it does not appear on the client screen.

This will not work unless the application is an X Windows program.
Native windows apps cannot be used remotely with ssh, because they are
not network-aware.  This may be possible with remote desktop/terminal
server/etc, but it's outside the scope of Cygwin.  All that ssh can do
is forward a stream of bytes across the connection.  The application
must be designed to work in this manner, such as X11 apps.  Ssh cannot
work miracles.

Brian

* Windows 2003 and sshd
@ 2004-05-03 21:50   ` Stephen Treger
From: Stephen Treger @ 2004-05-03 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

Hello,

I had a RedHat box, the sole purpose was to be the intermediate between a
secure host and public for moving data files in/out. Obviously this was
done solely upon ssh (scp/sftp). For numerous reasons we decided to
reconfigure as Windows 2003 Server with CygWin and openssh.

I took a XP workstation, loaded CygWin with the required openssh and
openssl components, populated the passwd and group files from our AD using
the -d options on mkpasswd and mkgroup respectively and then installed sshd
as a service.

It was the coolest thing, I would ssh in as a user listed in the passwd
file, but never having logged into the box before, and it automatically
created a home directory and populated it with the skeleton files. First
login produced some warnings, but after that the directory was set up
properly and everything worked.

So I duplicate on the Windows 2003 box. Hmm, if I don't create the home
directories manually users are instantly rejected. Some users out there
claimed I must run a script (fixperms.sh) for it all to work properly and
securely; I did and now am worse off than before. I get errors reprting no
rights to the shell (though the user does have rx to the various shells).

So I thought I would start over with CygWin on the 2003 box, but when I
deleted and reinstalled all the weird permissions still existed.

Anybody got a really good HOW-TO on this?
I need multiple users to have their own secure home directories, a couple
of additional logins that are in a "admin" group and can control those
directories. If I need to jail them, how do you do that under cygwin and is
it feasible?