* Re: setup.exe won't unpack the download
       [not found] <1099783680.10103.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2004-11-07 23:36 ` E Shon
From: E Shon @ 2004-11-07 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>- downloaded the default packages to C:\cygwin using setup.exe five
>>separate times after completely erasing all occurences of the word
>>cygwin on my harddrive before a fresh install, and have tried
>>downloading from different mirrors
>

> It sounds like you are using the "download" rather than the "install"
> option when running setup.exe.  If you are really a newbie and decided
> to change the default while installing, then... why would you do that?

I tried "Install from the Internet" the first time and nothing unpacked.
  So I removed everything and tried install from the internet again,
which still didn't work.  Third time I tried downloading to a local
directory then running setup.exe again to install it from that local
directory...   nothing seems to work.

Is there perhaps some special utility that doesn't automatically come
with XP for unzipping these *.tar.bz2's?

* Re: setup.exe won't unpack the download
@ 2004-11-08  0:51   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-11-08  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eshon, cygwin

At 06:36 PM 11/7/2004, you wrote:

>>>- downloaded the default packages to C:\cygwin using setup.exe five separate times after completely erasing all occurences of the word cygwin on my harddrive before a fresh install, and have tried downloading from different mirrors
>>
>>It sounds like you are using the "download" rather than the "install"
>>option when running setup.exe.  If you are really a newbie and decided
>>to change the default while installing, then... why would you do that?
>
>I tried "Install from the Internet" the first time and nothing unpacked.  So I removed everything and tried install from the internet again, which still didn't work.  Third time I tried downloading to a local directory then running setup.exe again to install it from that local directory...   nothing seems to work.

OK but output from 'setup.log' that you sent to the list indicates that
what you did was a download from the Internet, which is why Chris made the
comment he did.

>Is there perhaps some special utility that doesn't automatically come with XP for unzipping these *.tar.bz2's?

Yes but unless you know what you're doing that 'special utility' is
synonymous with 'setup.exe'.

Based on your previous description, it sounds like you're attempting to
install into the same directory you're downloading to.  Don't do that.
Download to one directory and install into a completely different one
(and not one under the download directory).

If this isn't the problem, my WAG is that you have a version of 'cygwin1.dll'
already on your system, due to some previous install or some other software
that uses Cygwin surrepticously.  If this is true, remove all copies of
'cygwin1.dll' from your system and follow the uninstall directions here:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC19>

If none of this describes your installation and/or helps, please follow the
instructions at the uninstall link above, rerun 'setup.exe' as "Install from
Internet", and *attach* the 'setup.log' file (assuming this time things don't
just "work" for you).

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: setup.exe won't unpack the download
@ 2004-11-08  8:43     ` E Shon
From: E Shon @ 2004-11-08  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

 > If this isn't the problem, my WAG is that you have a version
 > of 'cygwin1.dll' already on your system, due to some previous install
 > or some other software that uses Cygwin surrepticously.  If this is
 > true, remove all copies of 'cygwin1.dll' from your system and follow
 > the uninstall directions here:
 >
 > <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC19>
 >
 > If none of this describes your installation and/or helps, please
 > follow the instructions at the uninstall link above, rerun
'setup.exe' > as "Install from Internet", and *attach* the 'setup.log' file
 > (assuming this time things don't just "work" for you).

Your WAG was totally right.  I had some Acrobat plugin called PDFmerge
that had an old copy of cygwin1.dll in a 'hidden' folder that didn't
turn up on previous searches for 'cygwin'.  Deleted it, re-installed and
everything's working great now.

Thanks SO much, i'm so happy to be able to use Cygwin now.

Sorry it was such a half-baked problem.

* Re: setup.exe won't unpack the download
@ 2004-11-08 17:02       ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-11-08 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eshon, Cygwin List

At 03:43 AM 11/8/2004, you wrote:
>> If this isn't the problem, my WAG is that you have a version
>> of 'cygwin1.dll' already on your system, due to some previous install > or some other software that uses Cygwin surrepticously.  If this is
>> true, remove all copies of 'cygwin1.dll' from your system and follow
>> the uninstall directions here:
>>
>> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC19>
>>
>> If none of this describes your installation and/or helps, please
>> follow the instructions at the uninstall link above, rerun 'setup.exe' > as "Install from Internet", and *attach* the 'setup.log' file
>> (assuming this time things don't just "work" for you).
>

>Your WAG was totally right.  I had some Acrobat plugin called PDFmerge that had an old copy of cygwin1.dll in a 'hidden' folder that didn't turn up on previous searches for 'cygwin'.  Deleted it, re-installed and everything's working great now.
>
>Thanks SO much, i'm so happy to be able to use Cygwin now.
>
>Sorry it was such a half-baked problem.

Unfortunately, it's a difficult problem to spot.  It's nice that Cygwin
is as popular as it is but it's a shame that this popularity can cause
these kinds of conflicts.  It would be interesting to know from where you
got PDFmerge and whether source for it and the Cygwin DLL are available
for it.  If not, then at least this version of PDFmerge is not GPL
compliant, which warrants contacting the author/distributor.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: setup.exe won't unpack the download
@ 2004-11-08 18:21         ` E Shon
From: E Shon @ 2004-11-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

> Unfortunately, it's a difficult problem to spot.  It's nice that Cygwin
> is as popular as it is but it's a shame that this popularity can cause
> these kinds of conflicts.  It would be interesting to know from where you
> got PDFmerge and whether source for it and the Cygwin DLL are available
> for it.  If not, then at least this version of PDFmerge is not GPL
> compliant, which warrants contacting the author/distributor.

I don't see a source for it but here is the author's download site:

http://web.hku.hk/~kangsg/freeware/

* Re: setup.exe won't unpack the download
@ 2004-11-08 20:52           ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-11-08 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eshon, Cygwin List

At 01:20 PM 11/8/2004, you wrote:

>>Unfortunately, it's a difficult problem to spot.  It's nice that Cygwin is as popular as it is but it's a shame that this popularity can cause
>>these kinds of conflicts.  It would be interesting to know from where you
>>got PDFmerge and whether source for it and the Cygwin DLL are available
>>for it.  If not, then at least this version of PDFmerge is not GPL compliant, which warrants contacting the author/distributor.
>
>I don't see a source for it but here is the author's download site:
>
>http://web.hku.hk/~kangsg/freeware/

Thanks.  I'll follow up with the author.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: setup.exe won't unpack the download
@ 2004-11-06  2:48 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-11-06  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-11-06  2:32 E Shon
From: E Shon @ 2004-11-06  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm a lowly newbie and have been trying to install Cygwin in Windows XP
for the past 4 days to no avail and am about to throw in the towel...

Using the latest version of setup.exe 2.427 I can't even get bash
started.  The setup.exe seems to complete normally but none of the
zipped packages seem to get unpacked: all the *.tar.bz2's are there but
they don't get unpacked into .exe's...

For example, I have "bash-2.05b-16.tar.bz2" within the release subfolder
in my c:\cygwinInstall download directory and setup.exe says
"Installing..." at some point but in the end i can't find bash.exe or
even the 'bin' folder within c:\cygwin although I know bash.exe is in
that zipped file.  Same is true for all the other *.tar.bz2's...

I've done the following:

- turned off all anti-virus software and all personal firewalls for the
download

- downloaded the default packages to C:\cygwin using setup.exe five
separate times after completely erasing all occurences of the word
cygwin on my harddrive before a fresh install, and have tried
downloading from different mirrors

- have changed my Path variable so that "c:\cygwin\bin" and "c:\cygwin"
are included in it

- for each attempt i've run setup.exe at least twice, once to download,
a second time to install (have also tried installing directly from the
internet)  First time it says "Installation complete" second time it
says "Nothing needed to be installed"

- set the installation to All Users, have tried both Dos and Unix text
mode on completely separate attempts, have tried re-installing packages

- when i click on the Cygwin icon cygwin.bat won't run because it can't
find bash.exe....which makes sense since nothing has actually unpacked...

Here is what my current setup.log says:

2004/11/05 10:41:16 Starting cygwin install, version 2.427
2004/11/05 10:41:16 Current Directory: C:\cygwinInstall
2004/11/05 10:41:16 Changing gid to Users
2004/11/05 10:41:16 Could not open service McShield for query, start and
stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.
2004/11/05 10:41:22 source: download
2004/11/05 10:41:23 Selected local directory: C:\cygwinInstall
2004/11/05 10:41:24 net: Direct
2004/11/05 10:41:27 site: http://planetmirror.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin
2004/11/05 10:41:47 mbox note: Download Complete
2004/11/05 10:41:48 Ending cygwin install

(I've also tried installing with McShield turned on on a separate
occasion and got the same log entry for McShield...)

Sorry to bother the list, but I've stepped through the Cygwin FAQ many
times, have been Googling and looking around the Cygwin mailing list
archives for the past two days and can't find any clues.

- Baffled student